Does INGO Have a Favorite AR Piston Driven Upper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've got multiple ARs currently and all are DI. I've got a lower I want to build up and I think I want to do this one as a piston driven gun because . . . well, just because. Doing a little research it looks like Adams Arms is the prevalent maker of piston systems, but I know there are others. So I'm wondering if owners of piston driven ARs here on INGO would like to share their experiences with various brands and models especially if there are some to stay away from.

Some additional info:
    - I would want to buy a complete upper rather than trying the conversion kits I've seen
    - I tend to like short rifles so something in 10.5" or 11.5" barrel is likely what I'd want to find although a 16" is on the table as well
    - I will want to suppress this gun so an adjustable gas block is something I would want to have
    - My budget is not unlimited, but I don't want to cheap out either. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for quality

Thanks for any input.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The Adams Arms conversion is OK but the railed gas block limits the choices for free floating handguards. Carbine handguards are too short and mids are too long for the mid-length conversion. The delta ring handguards are fine.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    The only piston driven AR's I've owned are all LWRC. Top quality, some of the best out there. But it comes with a price tag. The tend to have holiday sales, and even have had some blemished uppers. I was able to score a 10.5" blem upper awhile back for $800 off their normal price.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just purchased a complete Adams Arms upper. I have not shot it yet. It does have an adjustable gas system for a suppressor. My buddy likes his and I went on his recommendation.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I just purchased a complete Adams Arms upper. I have not shot it yet. It does have an adjustable gas system for a suppressor. My buddy likes his and I went on his recommendation.

I'll definitely be interested in hearing how you like it as their 11.5" P2 is what I have my eye on. Mind telling me where you got yours? I've seen them various places for varying prices, but they all seem to have the non-adjustable gas block.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I have had zero trouble with my Adams Arms. Just ran an oily rag over it the other day and was admiring the bolt carrier group. Very slick and precise manufacturing.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Willing to pay, top quality, not a conversion kit,

Hk 416 or version upper
    Second choice LWRC upper

I've heard good things about the shorty Adam's arms uppers. Good luck finding one or so I've heard or if you do its gonna cost so much you might as well pick one from above because they are more well known and verified.

Personal opinion, screw piston upper unless you are running it suppressed all the time. Otherwise DI is better and even suppressed I pick my DI uppers over my piston gun

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll definitely be interested in hearing how you like it as their 11.5" P2 is what I have my eye on. Mind telling me where you got yours? I've seen them various places for varying prices, but they all seem to have the non-adjustable gas block.

Bought it directly from Adam Arms on Clearance. $449 plus shipping if memory serves.

I personally prefer the pistons over DI. So much cleaner! I have been using an M&P with conversion for several years now. But I would not consider it to be a high round count or long life span gun. If I were to buy a DI gun it would be an 18” barrel with rifle length gas system. Those guns shoot so soft, simply no recoil. But for shorty, non Precision guns consider piston.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Proprietary parts and no benefit to reliability, durability, or performance is the answer to "why not" in this case.

But if it's all for ****s and giggles, have fun!

The do run a lot cleaner when shooting suppressed. I tend to clean my guns every 500-600 rounds, but wouldn't a cleaner running gun be more reliable than one that has lots of fouling and carbon buildup, therefore increasing performance?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Meh! The only piston gun I’ve any experience with is the Sig 516. It’s a big meh, didn’t do anything different than my DI guns to justify the added cost, and it was sent on down the line. HK is THE name in piston AR’s , but boy are they salty. I’ve seen actual HK416 uppers in the past go for over $5K

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    .....So get a fancy coated BCG if you want it to be easier to clean. You really don't need to clean them. It's just your paranoia. They'll run dirty. Just lube 'em up.

Look up the filthy 14.

Personally, I'm with you. I keep mine clean. But you really don't need to.

The do run a lot cleaner when shooting suppressed. I tend to clean my guns every 500-600 rounds, but wouldn't a cleaner running gun be more reliable than one that has lots of fouling and carbon buildup, therefore increasing performance?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah, it's DI uppers. :laugh:

IMO the piston uppers worth having are the ones that cost too much to justify spending on a piston upper.

The Wolf upper is cool if you just want a piston system to play around with, though. It's a pretty neat design. But, like any other piston system, the parts are proprietary and you're in for a fun time if it breaks.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    pEtvhtY.gif

The AR15 is technically a gas piston system. The bolt is a piston.

If I wanted a traditional gas piston gun, I really would not want an AR15 conversion, I'd prefer a gun designed that way from the ground up. The AR15 loses a lot of its design advantages when you start doing things like that. Such as having all perfectly bore centric impulses.

If I had to buy a gas piston AR15, it'd be LWRC or nothing.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I bought the stag 8 (piston) when it first came out. Not one issue. It is a little heavier than my s&w sport, but it gets no where as dirty or as hot. There are some real nice piston guns out there, but there cost was just too much compared to the stag. I like both operating systems. Each has a place. The more variety, the better.

Top Bottom