• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i am trying to figure out if someone is misrepresenting a gun. how do you tell if a smith and wesson barrel is authentic on a rifle?

also, does anyone know if smith ever sold rifles with rogers super stocs on them?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What's the model? I can check the smith and wesson standard catalog 4th edition when I get home tomorrow.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    i am trying to figure out if someone is misrepresenting a gun. how do you tell if a smith and wesson barrel is authentic on a rifle?

also, does anyone know if smith ever sold rifles with rogers super stocs on them?

1- Mine all have 5.56 NATO 1/x (X is the twist rate) stamped on the top of the barrel near the flash hider. Yours should say 5.56 NATO 1/8. Not saying this is definitive - just that mine are all marked the same,

2- Doubt it. Again my sample is limited to what I own but I am pretty sure that they had SW logos. Have since change them out.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    my smith and wesson rifles i currently have come with a stock with a s&w logo. this guy i dealt with said this bootleg stock was original...he also said he was giving me red dot that he couldnt get off but he really put it on to hide this huge amount of finish damage on the receiver- he also kept the sights that come with thisbmodel- so basically a real dishonest person
    1- Mine all have 5.56 NATO 1/x (X is the twist rate) stamped on the top of the barrel near the flash hider. Yours should say 5.56 NATO 1/8. Not saying this is definitive - just that mine are all marked the same,

2- Doubt it. Again my sample is limited to what I own but I am pretty sure that they had SW logos. Have since change them out.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Sounds like it
    Basically he tore his rifle up, and is now trying to get his money back (I'm guessing), and pass his poor workmanship skills off on someone else.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If you haven't bought it...run...lots of ARs available to buy.

If you have bought it; strip it down and make sure it's properly assembled, intact and safe and then see how it runs. Looks ain't everything.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    the rifle is fine functionally-if its not I can fix it since I have built countless ar-15s. I have 12 AR type rifles and the point, from my perspective, is that he was deceptive/dishonest/fraudulent. I asked him point blank if that was the stock that came with the gun and he said "yes".
    The loss is not a big deal but there is a lesson. There are so many honest "gun people" that you tend to let your defenses down but you shouldn't.

If you haven't bought it...run...lots of ARs available to buy.

If you have bought it; strip it down and make sure it's properly assembled, intact and safe and then see how it runs. Looks ain't everything.

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    exactly!!! He was like i couldn't get the primary arms dot off because I dont have the tools (I ignored my spidey senses here on this comment). What guy that owns 22 ar-15s like he said doesnt have a star wrench laying around. I do and I have never paid for one since they come with optics and other gun crap.

Underneath a beat up primary arms dot was finish damage that he hid from me. I am a collector. I have guns that I shoot but I have guns that are just nice condition items for my collection. I like to keep them nice and when they have idiot marks like this one then it annoys me.

Sound like it
    Basically he tore his rifle up, and is now trying to get his money back (I'm guessing), and pass his poor workmanship skills off on someone else.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i dont think it is a knockoff barrel but I was just checking since it had no definitive smith markings on it.
    It has a smith market upper receiver, lower, and handguard but no markings on barrel but it is consistent with the finish on my smith ar10 and with what others have described. I am just going to liquidate the rifle and take the loss because I dont want the reminder of how stupid I was on this trade.

What makes you think it may be a different barrel than the one that came with the rifle?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I am a collector and shooter too. So I completely understand. I am down to 8 or 9 AR's I would have to do a hard count on them.
    I have 3 very nice ones that have never been fired.
    Even the guns I do shoot are in pristine condition for the most part.

I have had similar experiences, I learned the hard way that my understanding of like new, and someone else's are completely different.

I had invested a 2 hour drive each way for a member on here (no I will not call him out) but I will never deal with him again.
    He listed 2 of the Vicker's Original Glocks with the FDE RTF2 frames, the very first ones that came out. A 17 and a 19, he only had one bad pic, but good feed back and was easy to deal with as far as communications. When I met him in BFE in a parking lot, the 17 had a big scratch down the slide and a "whamo" on the rear sight, the 19 was in better shape. Boxes were missing some of the stuff that was supposed to be with them, he shorted me one mag from each gun.
    As a collector and a shooter, when some of the original stuff is missing and you're shorting me on mags, that "Good" deal became an alright deal.
    I followed through on my end, paid him his cash and drove home for 2 hours p*ssed off.
    He is on my do not deal with list.
    I chose not to leave him feed back. Lesson learned.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The 17 is now my EDC (read rides under front seat) in a padded case.
    I called Glock, they charge $45 to re-finish the slide. I did not do that. Set up an acct. with Tango Down and ordered the missing Vicker's base plates, had to buy a 5 pack.
    Still p*sses me off just thinking about it as I type this out.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    ... When I met him in BFE in a parking lot, the 17 had a big scratch down the slide and a "whamo" on the rear sight, the 19 was in better shape. Boxes were missing some of the stuff that was supposed to be with them, he shorted me one mag from each gun.
    As a collector and a shooter, when some of the original stuff is missing and you're shorting me on mags, that "Good" deal became an alright deal.
    I followed through on my end, paid him his cash and drove home for 2 hours p*ssed off.
    He is on my do not deal with list.
    I chose not to leave him feed back. Lesson learned.

That kind of thing is why people think they can get away with it... you paid his asking price and didn't leave feedback. As far as I'm concerned, agreed price on the phone/PM is a verbal contract contingent on condition matching description. if the description is "as new with XYZ accessories" and you arrive and the product isn't exactly that, then you start negotiations. I hate dickering and negotiating but I will for that kind of stuff. On the other hand, if he didn't state it comes with anything beforehand and you assumed it came with the other stuff... you can still try to dicker but you're less in the clear there.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    He had them advertised as NIB, I was ready to walk away from the deal, and should have.
    There were only 2500 of each one made. That is what swayed me to go ahead and buy them.
    I will most likely move the 17 at some point and keep the 19.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If the rifle pictured is the rifle you bought, then it should have a 5R rifled barrel from the factory (p.s. this was one of the best factory configurations in the M&P 15 line ever).
    You can count the lands and grooves in the barrel. if it has 5, then it's OEM for the M&P15T (I guess he could have replaced it with a different 5R barrel, but that wouldn't help him ssave money in swapping out parts - if that's your concern). If the barrel has 6 lands and grooves, then it's definitely not OEM for this model (the M&P15T)

S&W was using some of these 5R barrels in the M&P15 line (specifically the 1st gen M&P15 sport [great value!] and in the M&P15T) because they had recently acquired Thompson Center who was cranking out 5R barrels for their new-at-the-time Venture and Dimension line of guns - and some other discontinued lines that also used 5R barrels. (T/C warlord, etc)

Top Bottom