• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm looking to build a long range ar-15. There are several good calibers out there, but I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. I have very limited "experience" shooting past 100 yards, and I would like to expand on that this summer. I have a couple other ar's all In .223/5.56 but nothing intended for further than 100 yards. A couple of things I'm considerate of are.

-Ammo cost (high end factory ammo, as well as cheaper alternative for fundamental training [I need lots of practice])
    -accuracy (I'm not a sub moa shooter but, I intend to get there)
    -range ( mostly shoot 100 yards but want to extend that range with time, ultimately more is good)
    -use (mostly shooting at paper, but secondary uses could prove interesting)
    -cool factor (I don't "need" most of my guns, I just want them)
    -availability (.223 can get the job done, but debating expanding into another common round)
    -component cost (taking my time to build this, looking for good value for price)
    -ar-15 platform (I am building on a f-1 receiver set and bcm bcg, yhm ff quadrail 15" and a leopald vx-r 3-9x)
    - weight is a nonissue
    -minimal conversion from parts I already have listed above.

Looking at
    .223 wylde
    6.5 grendel
    .224 valkerie
    open to ideas

I have scoured google and I feel like I'm being sold calibers, not convinced by anything I have read.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd say use what you have now in .223. That can easily be a 400 yrd gun when set up right. That mighy mean just a different optic on one of your current AR's.

I'd say take a Revere Riders class and learn the basics of rifle shooting. Then make your choice after yhat class.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I second that. With almost zero mods a .223/5.56 AR is accurate enough to be interesting at 500 yards.

If you just need a different caliber just because, then pick what interests you or what you can find locally if you'll be buying and not reloading. Then build around that.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Scope and a good trigger in one of your current rigs will get you there no problem.

Onnce you go north of 223/5.56 things get expensive real quick even for a hand loader.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    So far it seems there is no real need or excuse to expand into these other calibers. Would that be from lack of experience on my end or just not enough offered in other calibers for what you pay for?
    I did learn the basics of marksmanship in the marine corps for what that's worth. I wouldn't call iron sights or rco at 500 yards precision shooting.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My "XTC" (across the course) rifle is a RRA NM 223 wylde chamber, I shoot 600 yards with and it will hold its own at that distance with the right ammo, my XTC load a 77 grain projectile on top of 8208 powder (loaded to all most max)

55 grain bullets will not go the distance....but there fine for 200/300 matches........

Hand loads will be one of the keys to this,and a correct rifle set up......

P,ease spec out the rifle including twist rate of the barrel

223/556 are cheap to shoot, and the are accurate

Aaron

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I do a lot more fast and close shooting. Hit steel moving at 25 yards and I'm happy. I feel like I would appreciate slowing down and testing myself in a new discipline. I want to keep my current rifles and pistols as they are. I have had the listed components just sitting in the safe for a year or two and thought I would do something with them. No point in a $500 receiver set just sitting there. I have a good idea of the trigger I want, elf match trigger.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    55gr 5.56 is suitable for 600 yards.

77gr 5.56 is suitable for a bit further. If you can find some place to shoot further in this state and not have to drive 2-3 hours to get there, I'd be shocked.

In that case I'd get a .224 valk.

I'll say this though, if you're shooting steel and you want to have fun, skip the AR15 all together and move up to an AR10 platform in 308. Being able to hear the steel ring is nice. I can't hear steel ring with a 5.56 from 300 yards.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I shoot ar15's (223) with match barrels to 600yd regularly with 68gr hornady bthp handloads that are not pushed very hard.

For fun, i have loaded up hornady ELD 75gr (223) loads longer than magazine length, using a bobsled, and hitting at 1,000yd accurately with little wind.

With peltor SportTac's we could hear, although faint, the 223 hits on steel at 1,000 to our surprise. Hearing the 223 hits at 600 with same muffs not difficult unless winds are over 20mph.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    For the distance you're stating 223 is absolutely fine. If I wanted a long range AR-15 id be looking at a 308. Long range shooting a semi auto is not as accurate as a bolt action.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have to echo the masses. Go with 223. If you decide you want to go 500 to 1000 yards plus; you are likely going to want a different platform.

You can spend A LOT of money playing around 1000 yards; but with a 223 AR you can have a lot of cheap fun easily out to 500.

Personally, my next AR is going to a 6.5 Grendel. It's heavy and flat. But I also have a variety of calibers, so reasons are more about because I want than because I need this specific performance capability.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    As stated before, .223 will cover you on calm days out to several hundred yards.

Generally, it seems most beneficial to start with a known caliber (.223) and just start shooting long distance. When you find the limits of a caliber (i.e. too much drop for your scope to adjust for, too much wind drift to get hits...) then you select a new caliber to overcome those obstacles. Doing it this way allows you to really learn, as the journey is really what makes the shooter.

Years ago, I would have sworn that all you needed was 5.56 and 308. All those fancy calibers were just guys looking to spend money. However, when you're shooting on a really windy day and your .308 precision gun just won't get hits, then you start looking for other calibers.

For what it's worth, I went with 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform, and I'm considering a total switch to 6.5 Creedmoor in bolt guns.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    After thinking about everyone's comments, I came to the conclusion that I just had the itch for a new caliber as well as a new discipline to challenge myself. I think I will build 2 dedicated uppers. I have most of the parts I need minus the barrels and comps. I am looking at some medium quality barrels as they will likely outperform me for a while. I will be building a .223 first and use it as my primary. Then start building a 6.5 grendel to cure the itch. I feel this is a win win for me and for me. Now to google some long ranges up here and get this party started.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    6mm AR Home Page

Lots of info and options here. Have fun. Get out your checkbook. I went here and had a lot of fun.

You weren't kidding! I started reading up on the material they had posted. It seemed too good to be true until I saw the prices and how much actually went into the ammo. If I had the time and resources, I will definitely be interested. As of now factory ammo it is for me. I haven't reloaded since baby #2 came around last year. Even then, I was still tinkering around with 9mm. lol

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    The real question is, what is your accuracy requirement? There's LOTS of .223 combinations that are sub-MOA. There's not a lot of shooters that are sub-MOA, especially windage-wise, past 300 yards.

I hate to see people discounting a .223 as only a short range caliber...55 gr FMJ's, yeah, they sort of fall on their face past 300-400 yards. With decent projectiles though, it's plenty capable of making holes in paper (accurately, even!) out to 900-1000 yards. There are factory 77 gr mag length rounds that will hold X-ring elevation on a high power target with no issue (1 MOA @ 600 yards). I've shot 80 gr SMK's at 800 and 900 yards out of a 20" service rifle with *some* success, albeit loading those to much longer than magazine length, requiring single feeding. It's been done out to 1000 yards with 90's and the right barrel.

For factory ammo, a 77 SMK (Black Hills mk262) at 2800 fps is no slouch. No, it's not a .243 or a 6.5 Creedmoor in terms of wind drift, but the mechanical accuracy is there.

A .224 Valkyrie would be sweet, don't get me wrong, but I keep reminding myself that surplus brass is dirt cheap (relatively) compared to almost all other centerfire rounds.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Natdscott, i was just looking at your Central IN Highpower link and saw it's at Atterbury. It seems like it's all matches there, right? Or am I reading it wrong? If it's just matches at atterbury where around here do you practice at those distances?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Natdscott, i was just looking at your Central IN Highpower link and saw it's at Atterbury. It seems like it's all matches there, right? Or am I reading it wrong? If it's just matches at atterbury where around here do you practice at those distances?

Most of us don't practice full distance except at 'matches', which are still just practice.

I recommend you get thee to CAJMTC as soon as possible to figure out that our matches are only 1-on-1, despite tens of guys on the line.

Even the Nationals are practice, although I guess I treat all the matches at Atterbury as practice for THAT week.

Top Bottom