Shot some clays today, first time in about 20 years...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A buddy of mine invited me to shoot some clays. Like the title says, I hadn't shot at thrown pigeons for a bit over 20 years. I do, however, have a semi-auto shotgun I bought a few years back that mostly just takes up space in the safe. I bought it with the notion of squirrel hunting, but haven't been the last few years. Anyway, it's a Ted Williams 12g, which I believe was made by Winchester. Poly-choke equipped old school cool, a heavy gun you can shoot all day and not be bothered by the recoil.

I dug out some shells from the back of the closet (which I'd apparently had for quite awhile, as they had Kiesler's price tags on the box...) and drove out. I think I accounted for myself pretty well. We mostly just shot single clays, he's got a strip of cleared land with trees on either side so if you try to throw two one inevitably heads into the trees pretty quickly and busts on a limb.

I had a good time, gun ran without issue, and I finally got some use from a gun I bought on a whim and just sat on.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Glad you had fun. I did the same thing last year. I was a little rusty at first but it all came back after a while.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The wife and I headed out after a 7 year dry spell. We stopped shooting after our first child. She is 7 now.

Daughter was the one throwing the clays for us. We all had a very nice time. Feels good to be back and to be passing the sport on to the next generation!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Awesome BBI! It is a great way to spend an afternoon with friends and family. I initially bought a single thrower that mounts into a hitch receiver and since then my good friend has bought a battery operated thrower. What a joy it is not having to pull anything back!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Awesome I love shooting clays. If there is a sporting clays course near you, you should check it out, they are a blast to shoot.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    That is awesome, sounds like a good time was had by all. There is nothing I love more on a weekend afternoon than loading the thrower up in the truck and heading to the Winamac FWA skeet range with a couple cases clay pigeons, my Remington, some shells and my wife. She loves to shoot clays as well. MAN! Now I think I know what I am doing next weekend.:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proly drag the middle kid out and let her try some at the trap range.
    Choice of guns.......1100 standard, or trap.
    She's 5' 9" so can run a reg gun............just dunno if the trap will be too heavy starting out.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Clay shooting seems to be making a big comeback. My sons shoot the youth clays for 4-H in SE Indiana (5 Stand) and shoot for a Youth Club near Cincinnati (Skeet & Trap). Several of my friends gave up golf and shoot in a skeet nightly league which I might eventually do once the kids go away to college. We have a clay thrower that we bought last year on Amazon that allows a person to step on the thrower so they can practice by themselves called the Trius One Step. It's a little pricey right now but we bought it on sale for $85 last year around Father's Day.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Wonderful! It is so much fun busting clays. There are lots of trap ranges around and sporting clays courses. Just google for places in Indiana and have a blast. Literally!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If there was some type of clays shooting around me on a regular basis I think I would consider giving up on trying to learn how to shoot a pistol and spend my time and money shooting shotguns.

I really like them. I'm waiting until we quit hemorrhaging money on this house so I can buy a Citori I have my heart set on.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    If there was some type of clays shooting around me on a regular basis I think I would consider giving up on trying to learn how to shoot a pistol and spend my time and money shooting shotguns.

I really like them. I'm waiting until we quit hemorrhaging money on this house so I can buy a Citori I have my heart set on.

Not sure where in Bloomington you are located, but the Spencer Conservation Club hosts registered trap shooting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure where in Bloomington you are located, but the Spencer Conservation Club hosts registered trap shooting.

I may have talked to one of those guys. He told me they shoot for money. I don't mind paying to shoot, but those older guys really can bust those birds! The few times we shot for money at MCFG, I may as well handed them my money before we started shooting. :)

If that is not true, I'll look them up. I'm not far from Spencer.

Top Bottom