• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Found a post war M1 Carbine today. I always wanted one, had some cash, and it followed me home.

It may be a rare bird. It's made by Firearms Int'l, Houston Tx. From what I've been able to discover, there were only 165 made under this nameplate. They changed their name to IAI and made lots of them.

Seems like a solid rifle, but I'd like to find out more about them, if anyone can help.
    Thanks

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I had a Winchester follow me home several years ago, it just kinda hung out for a couple of years, one day I decided to shoot it, M1 carbines are amazing. I like mine so well that I bought a M1A SOCOM 16 just because they are similar (in my world they’re similar). You can never go wrong with a M1 carbine, I like the caliber, I like the gun.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Congrats on the carbine, great little guns. Can't help with your specific search though, good luck and have some fun at the range.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    My nephew's '44 Rock-ola followed me home for the time being. No I don't own it, I'm just going to strip the crud off the stock and fix where my father in law used coarse sand paper to remove the Korean unit markings. Going as minimally invasive as possible. Wonderful shooter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Congrats. They are truly rare (of any flavor) today. The CMP gets so few now that ALL go to auction. NONE are sold online anymore at list prices. The only luck you will have finding one for a reasonable price is to take advantage of some poor ignorant owner who doesnt realize the pool has dried up.

Im loving my new to me Field Grade Garand. And my 8 1/2YO daughter agrees. She saw it for the first time today and said "Oooooh, pretty!" She can stay. :):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My 12YO daughter loved the Carbine at the range...good thing I just bought more ammo...:ar15:

I have her using the 5 round mags so she needs to stop and reload more. :cool:

And what Camera Monkey said about the pool drying up...originals that is, still a couple companies manufacturing new ones.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow, that's awesome. Can't help with the research side, but this is on my wish list, too.

nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County
    And what Camera Monkey said about the pool drying up...originals that is, still a couple companies manufacturing new ones.
    Does anyone have experience with any new manufactured M1 carbines? I don't have any firsthand experience with them and haven't heard much good about them online.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have heard good things about the Inland: Inland M1 Carbine Review - Firearms News

I have ordered several parts for my WWII vintage carbines from them and they fit as advertised. I think a lot of the bad reviews come from hit or miss copies produced a decade or so ago; some of those ran fine, some were hit or miss.

One of the things to look for is the marking on the magazine release. If there is an underlined M on it, it was manufactured to secure the 30 round mags, if not it was made for the 15 round mags and may not function reliably with 30 rounders (which could be where many past bad reviews came from). There is an extra notch on the 30rnd and an extra 'finger' to secure it with an M marked release. That's one of the parts I replaced on mine (and saved the original of course).

Last edited:

nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County
    Thanks for the info Thor. I'll have to check out the Inlands, its good to know there are decent new production M1 Carbines since the supply of original ones has become so depleted. I'm currently waiting on a Garand from the CMP, so once it arrives and my wallet recovers it may be time to get an M1 Carbine little brother for it.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Thanks for the info Thor. I'll have to check out the Inlands, its good to know there are decent new production M1 Carbines since the supply of original ones has become so depleted. I'm currently waiting on a Garand from the CMP, so once it arrives and my wallet recovers it may be time to get an M1 Carbine little brother for it.

If you check out the CMP Forums, you'll see decent carbines at reasonable prices in the WTS section.

WTS: Inland 3 MIL M1 Carbine - CMP Forums

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The real fun starts when you get a second one.
    If you leave them alone in the safe for awhile, other ones will start showing up.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Does anyone have experience with any new manufactured M1 carbines? I don't have any firsthand experience with them and haven't heard much good about them online.

Be sure to look into Fulton Armory.

Using new billet receivers and other U.S.G.I. parts along with our new match quality barrels and hand selected, hand oiled American walnut stocks, Fulton Armory painstakingly resurrects the magnificence, beauty and legacy of the War Baby to back where she belongs.
    From the standard issue M1 to the Paratrooper M1A1 to our 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Century version of the M3, every Fulton Armory M1 Carbine is truly a “rifle for life”, an heirloom to be passed down for the ages. Safe. Durable. Extraordinary. May we present, 70 years later, the Fulton Armory M1 Carbine.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Bought my 1943 Winchester back in the 1980's for $250. Arsenal refinished, adjustable rear sight, ect... but I couldn't part with it now for several times that. Got plenty of magazines, decent amount of ammo and she comes out every so often to play at the range. Great backup for my AR15's as well, wife or daughter can shoot it without any difficulty.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Kahr Arms M1. It loves the 15 round mags. I cast and gas check a 120 grain round nose and use H110 for a nice shooter. Plays hell on racoons and porcupines. I let my daughter shoot it and now somehows it's hers?!?!

Top Bottom