• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hello ingo,

I need some help choosing a new stock fir my savage 110 in 280ai, 26" shilen heavy sporter, vortex hs lr ffp 4-16.
    This is mostly a bench gun but i still want to be able to shoot offhand for hunting.

Ive tried two different traditional wood stocks and much prefer a more vertical grips these days.
    Ive been looking hard at the mcmillan a3 sporter.

My trouble is positioning myself on the stock repeatedly in a consistant manner and recoil mitigation.
    I can shoot my 03a3 all day long with a steel butt plate but this 280 jumps off the bags so maybe a heavier stock?

My main question is this....
    Comparing the a3 sporter to a chassis system...how do they perform off a bench/bag compared to offhand shooting with support (tree?).

Im not saying that money is no object, but im willing to save up to do it right the first time...ive just not had the oportunity to shoot or handle any of these stocks.

85% bench shooting, 15% hunting, almost no prone shooting.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    Shred

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I’m putting a Bell and Carlson on my 10 FCP-SR. I haven’t even shot it yet but the acustock was pretty miserable when playing around with snap caps in the basement.

I have heard if you can afford it McMillan or Manners is the way to go, but I ordered a BC because I’m a tightwad and they make a solid product that is backed by a lifetime warranty.

I think most folks prefer a stock over a chassis for the type of shooting you described, and if you need more weight with a stock you can add fill in the butt as needed.

My stock will be here Thursday and I’ll post some pics if you like.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Nothing wrong with Bell and Carlson, Manners stocks look nice but the one I have I thought was grosly overrated. Mine came stock on a CZ 455 Precision Trainer and the thing had little to no action support and I had to relief the bolt handle cut out so the bolt handle could actually go all the way down. I have heard that Manners had a bad batch of stocks for these and since I modded mine (pillar bed (their stock pillar was pathetic), glass bed, and relieve it) CZ wouldn't replace it. That is a 22 stock and not one of their more "prestigious" stocks, but still $450-$500 retail

Got a friend with a McMillian, it's nice, but still prefer the feel of the Bell and Carlson

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I really want a vertical grip stock...
    I looked at the bell and carlson m40 (only one they offer for a la savage).

The pistol grip is more vertical than a classic sporter stock but how does it compare to the hard vertical grip os the a3?

How is the quality and weight difference....
    I weighed my rifle last night and it is 10lbs exactly with the birch sporter stock.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    Shred

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Muncie is not to far from me. If you wanted to get hands on with a few options I have some your welcome to play with. Off the top of my head I have

Manners T4
    Manners EH5A
    MCMn A5
    MCM HTG

Ive had a couple dozen others.

Ive owned the Chassis system's like XLR, etc. To me, I dont care for them. They just dont feel right. Bottom line is, everyone can say X is better than Y, but what your talking about is 100% personal preferance. You wont find the answer to the best stock for you anywhere on the internet. You will only find it our by trial and error on the firing line.

capthis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Evansville
    I have 4 HS precision M-24 stocks on Savage rifles, and nothing but good things to say about them. 3 Adjustables, and a non adjustable on my 22-250. They fit me very well, and while expensive they are in my mind worth it.

capthis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Evansville
    From what I have seen, the Boyd's stocks are very nice, a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I've had a few Boyds and will not be buying any more. They are OK at best for a wood stock and ther are much better options out there, albeit they cost more. Most Boyds stocks are in the 100-150 range so they are on the lower end of things.

Top Bottom