• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm relatively new to long range shooting. Took one long range class last fall and was able to hit shots ranging from 300-600 yards.
    I have a few rifles capable of shooting accurately that far, and some mid price range Nikon 3-9 zoom scopes. I find that out to 100 yards they are more than sufficient.

If I'm looking to shoot farther regularly, what kind of zoom scope should I plan on buying? I like the Nikon brand because of the spot on program.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    scope shopping can be fun and frustrating, there are quite a few scopes out there, I would stay away from the "ebay" specials though, as far as zoom goes that really depends on how far you intend to shoot.. the ranges around here are typically around 100 yards, but if you are lucky you have access to a longer range, there is a large market out there, have fun shopping:):

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a 3-18 IOR that seems to do everything I ever need here in Indiana

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have a 3-18 IOR that seems to do everything I ever need here in Indiana

I have some scopes up to 24x and, even at 1000 yards, dialing it back is usually beneficial. 18x is plenty.

If your goal is to hit something at range, most decent scopes will do. As you start shooting for groups, get your wallet out!

Try Alan at AA Optics. Let him know your budget, platform and goals. He will treat you right!

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As others have indicated, up to about 18x is usable most of the time out to 1000yds. I'm a big fan of magnification but the reality is once you start getting above 18x, the mirage begins to interfere. Sure there are occasions where it isn't much of an issue but they are a lot less frequent than one might expect.

I have yet to regret spending more money than I really wanted to on a quality scope.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you think you'll find yourself shooting at longer ranges (400yds or more) fairly often then it will be beneficial to have high quality glass up to 15x than to have some mid to low tier scope that can go up to 24x. Honestly, out to 400-500yds on man size targets the gen 1 viper pst 2.5-10x32 FFP is very popular. Find one used and that would be a good starter optic

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I believe that a lot of people over scope the gun. I have seen more then one deer missed at close distance because of too much magnification. My advice is spend the money on quality glass as opposed to worrying about magnification.

I have a 3-15 power Burris in my .308. Have only had this particular gun out to 300 yards but had no problems. I also was able to harvest a fat sow about 20 yards from the stand. Whatever you decide I would recommend no more then 3x on the lowest setting.

My buddy is running a 1.8-10 power US Optics on his REPR and we were banging steel at 500 yards with boring regularity. He took it out to 800 yards and was hitting a 10”x10” plate.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    You didn't say what your budget is, but if on a limited budget, Nikon makes a 4-18x with side focus paralax that's pretty nice for the money. Lots of choices out there, and you generally get what you pay for, but the Nikon is good entry level glass if on a limited budget. Mine has the BDC reticle, which is a little busy, but they might offer it in other reticles.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Budget will be your limiting factor. Buy quality and spend as much as you can. If you're going long it's a main part of the system.

Here in NWI a fixed 4 power is all I'll ever need.

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    I find that for most shooting here in Indiana (not PRS match) an 8x magnification is sufficient. And if you are buying, spend on good quality glass over magnification IMO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To qualify, I'm fairly new to picking glass myself. I have found that, if there is a choice when picking a scope reticle, picking a mildot reticle of some sort is a better option than BDC.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If you are operating within a budget check out the SWFA SS classic scopes. I've been using one of the 10x42MQ models for about 2 years now and have no regrets. No it's not a Nightforce level scope, but it's very good for the price you pay. I shoot to 800 yards with it regularly, could go further but haven't yet.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    3-9 power will reach out farther than you might expect. I have a 4-14x44 mounted on my .308, and it works great.

Check out Vortex scopes. While a bit heavy, they make several quality scopes, including a 3-12 that is a pretty solid do-it-all scope.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How much magnification will always depend on who you ask. I did a long range rifle course with the guy who has the world record for the smallest 1000 yard group with a .50BMG (not bench rest) and he thinks you don't need more than 10X.

I think it depends on your visual acuity as well.

If you can afford high quality optics with higher magnification, then go for it. If more than 15X is too much, you don't have to use it.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the minimum magnifaction. I have a Pentax 8-30X on my .308 and it's like have a spotting scope mil-dots at the higher powers. When I shoot it at 240 yrs or less (RileyCC is limited to that), I usually keep it on 8X, maybe 10X at the most. The problem is, it's next to impossible for me to shoot offhand with 8X. At some point, I'm going to replace it with something that has 2, 2.5, 3, or 3.5X lower magnification and 10-16 at the upper range. The Pentax will then be put on a tripod and become my actual spotting scope.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I shoot pretty okay with 0x, and if they knew HOW, a lot of guys would find that they can HOLD as well with decent irons as they can with a scope.

But being honest, scopes have a lot to do with target ID and speed, and they SHOW you how crappy your hold is better, so you tend to improve that more quickly than if you were using only irons.

Military rule has always been 1x per 100 yards, but targets typically benefit from 2x per hundred. If you get into F-class or Benchrest (basically the same thing), 25x is a normal minimum for the average shooter on the line. So says Draggoo and Hopkins.

DON'T get wrapped around the axle of objective size, trick-ass reticles, illumination, accessories included, or even glass quality if it comes right down to it.

MECHANICS. It's a rifle sight. FIRST and FOREMOST it has to adjust correctly and fully to bring your bullets to the point of aim, and HOLD that "zero". THEN, it has to be able to change that impact to some OTHER point of aim at a different range, hold THAT zero, and then go BACK to the first without screwing the pooch. Seems simple, but for all the technology put into every OTHER factor, a lot of scope's fail miserably at that simple task. Look at a Warner rifle sight...simple really, not rocket-surgery, but THAT is what the internals of a scope need to reflect, albeit smaller. https://warner-tool.com/collections/warner-sights/products/the-warner-vernier-sight-right-hand

Only secondary to that basic premise is any other factor. Next on the list should be glass quality or durability, depending on your need to drop the da*& thing out of a helicopter.

Do research, ask questions, and be patient in your choice. Being successful at Long Range is not for the impertinent and impulsive.

-Nate

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Tactical Scope Reviews - Sniper Central

This has been my go to for optics. They have a system to consistently test optics and rate them all on the same standard. They are not losing advertising dollars if they write a scathing review, and the author will respond in the comments section with their opinion. 3 stars and you are working with pretty solid glass, 4 stars starts to get hurty on the old wallet, 5 stars means you either have f u money or you are very very serious about your optics. The reviews are all based on tactical scopes though so a strictly bench rest fclass shooter may benefit from a different source that reviews glass tailored for that purpose.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Tactical Scope Reviews - Sniper Central

This has been my go to for optics. They have a system to consistently test optics and rate them all on the same standard. They are not losing advertising dollars if they write a scathing review, and the author will respond in the comments section with their opinion. 3 stars and you are working with pretty solid glass, 4 stars starts to get hurty on the old wallet, 5 stars means you either have f u money or you are very very serious about your optics. The reviews are all based on tactical scopes though so a strictly bench rest fclass shooter may benefit from a different source that reviews glass tailored for that purpose.

Oh, I don't know about that SC site.

That guy might not know much.

-Nate

:)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    OP If your looking at a Nikon specifically, I really like the Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5-18x. Its a great optic with a lot of nice features, currently have them and have no intentions of ever getting rid of them. I reviewed one for my channel a while back if you'd like to check it out, might help answer a few more questions on it..

[video=youtube;oYe7YuTSuD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYe7YuTSuD0&index=3&list=PLezKJ8l7dXJsLShS vdPhmDpuMNrVJkrXo[/video]

Top Bottom