• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I ran into something a few weeks ago I had never even heard of being an issue. I picked up a BCM lower finally and a few days later went to the range. To my amazement one of my mags didn't lock in. So I separated the mag that didn't lock in and went about my range trip. When I got home I tried a few different lowers, emptied it, and loosed the mag release. Still wouldn't lock in (on the BCM). So I contacted magpul. Apparently Gen 3 pmags have some issues with the over travel tab and have issues with some lowers. So Gen2 pmags for me only from now on. I went through all my mags and the gen 3 are now dedicated 300 blackout mags which I don't have any issues with in those lowers.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I ran into something a few weeks ago I had never even heard of being an issue. I picked up a BCM lower finally and a few days later went to the range. To my amazement one of my mags didn't lock in. So I separated the mag that didn't lock in and went about my range trip. When I got home I tried a few different lowers, emptied it, and loosed the mag release. Still wouldn't lock in (on the BCM). So I contacted magpul. Apparently Gen 3 pmags have some issues with the over travel tab and have issues with some lowers. So Gen2 pmags for me only from now on. I went through all my mags and the gen 3 are now dedicated 300 blackout mags which I don't have any issues with in those lowers.
    This was an issue with a special noveske billet lower I had and the reason i sold it. Gen3 tab wouldnt allow it to be inserted.
    I heard that noveske started making the new billet versions accept them

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

This has been a known issue for some time. MagPul knows of the problem and BCM knows of the problem. BCM says their lowers are built to spec using Mil-Spec aluminum mags following the TDP and MagPul's response is that they know of the issue as well but that is the way it goes when it comes to tolerance stacking.

Good read:BCM Lower not compatible with PMAG Gen3

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    This was an issue with a special noveske billet lower I had and the reason i sold it. Gen3 tab wouldnt allow it to be inserted.
    I heard that noveske started making the new billet versions accept them

The Noveske gen 2 lowers were forged. The gen 3 is billet. I know they had some issues with the gen 2s, but my gen 2 will take gen 3 pmags no problem.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The Noveske gen 2 lowers were forged. The gen 3 is billet. I know they had some issues with the gen 2s, but my gen 2 will take gen 3 pmags no problem.
    The one I had that wouldnt take them is the billet N4 gen3 lower. They supposedly fixed the issue or I was told. But the one I had deffinately would not take the gen3 pmags nor the drum mag

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3 Noveske lowers. The issue was with the early serial # Gen2 lowers. I have an early Gen2(later Gen2's were milled out) lower hence I have the problem with Gen3 PMags. If I smack them, they will insert. I also have a problem with the Gen3 PMags not dropping free from my KAC Ambi lower. I have been transitioning back to only USGI mags with MagPul enhanced followers.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3 Noveske lowers. The issue was with the early serial # Gen2 lowers. I have an early Gen2(later Gen2's were milled out) lower hence I have the problem with Gen3 PMags. If I smack them, they will insert. I also have a problem with the Gen3 PMags not dropping free from my KAC Ambi lower. I have been transitioning back to only USGI mags with MagPul enhanced followers.
    My gen3 wouldnt work either with the gen3 pmags. I think I had one of the first gen3 billets so maybe they fixed the issue in later models. It really sucked having such an expenssive gun that wouldnt take all mags.
    Of coarse my current opinion of noveske isnt what it used to be.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I love my gen3 20rd mags. They are probably my most used magazine. I would get rid of a lower before I would get rid of the magazines. I've run mine in everything from an fmk poly, Anderson, a host of house brand, up to the dd without issue. What is the point in sticking with a finicky or magazine picky lower other than the roll mark?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I love my gen3 20rd mags. They are probably my most used magazine. I would get rid of a lower before I would get rid of the magazines. I've run mine in everything from an fmk poly, Anderson, a host of house brand, up to the dd without issue. What is the point in sticking with a finicky or magazine picky lower other than the roll mark?

I am not getting rid of anything. The gen 3 mags work perfectly in my 300 blackout SBRs. So gen 3 mags are dedicated 300 blackout now. My issue isn't with every gen 3 mag either. I took 6 mags with me 2 were gen 3 and only one of the gen 3s wouldn't work. The gen 3 issue isn't limited to BCM either.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I am not getting rid of anything. The gen 3 mags work perfectly in my 300 blackout SBRs. So gen 3 mags are dedicated 300 blackout now. My issue isn't with every gen 3 mag either. I took 6 mags with me 2 were gen 3 and only one of the gen 3s wouldn't work. The gen 3 issue isn't limited to BCM either.

Gotya, just seems odd to me as a user that a company would manufacture such tight tolerances in a magwell. I get perfect alignment of trigger pin holes that you get with a higher end lower, but why would they not stick every mag they got their hands on in it before going to manufacture? From a SHTF outlook (like most of us like to fantasize about) I want an ar that will run any magazine I find littered amongst the rotting zombie carcasses. One of the reasons I'm a glock fan, is that I truly believe if it were a shtf total collapse scenario a resourceful person should always be able to find 4 magazines - glock 9 and 40, ar, and ak. but i'm off topic. This thread did get me into the gun room to shove some mags in magwells to make sure they all lock up.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Gotya, just seems odd to me as a user that a company would manufacture such tight tolerances in a magwell. I get perfect alignment of trigger pin holes that you get with a higher end lower, but why would they not stick every mag they got their hands on in it before going to manufacture? From a SHTF outlook (like most of us like to fantasize about) I want an ar that will run any magazine I find littered amongst the rotting zombie carcasses. One of the reasons I'm a glock fan, is that I truly believe if it were a shtf total collapse scenario a resourceful person should always be able to find 4 magazines - glock 9 and 40, ar, and ak. but i'm off topic. This thread did get me into the gun room to shove some mags in magwells to make sure they all lock up.
    The issue I have is its not limited to BCM. Sounds to me like a pmag issue more than anything. However with that being said I believe magpul makes some of the best mags out there. I own lots. More than I care to admit.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Never a problem using G.I. mags in any AR15, that's why I only use them. Just saying.

I own all kinds of AR mags, but have been buying G.I. mags exclusively lately.
    I have all three generations of PMAGS, Lancer's in a few different colors, Troy and G.I.
    As far as polymer mags, Troy mags are under rated in my opinion, they seem to fit lowers that PMAGS won't fit in. And they are decent mags.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Anyone else think it’s ironic that a mag that is standard issue for marine corps and Air Force, as well as used by SOCOM and authorized for use by the Army (proven the most reliable in their own test) won’t fit some lowers? Seems it can’t get more milspec than the PMAG now.

Seems about right.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I own all kinds of AR mags, but have been buying G.I. mags exclusively lately.
    I have all three generations of PMAGS, Lancer's in a few different colors, Troy and G.I.
    As far as polymer mags, Troy mags are under rated in my opinion, they seem to fit lowers that PMAGS won't fit in. And they are decent mags.

I've watched Troy mags basically explode when dropped on concrete during a training session. The floorplates couldn't handle dropping empty to floor.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've watched Troy mags basically explode when dropped on concrete during a training session. The floorplates couldn't handle dropping empty to floor.

That's not good. I don't train, as I am not going into combat anytime soon.
    So since I don't train, I don't tear up, or drop mags on the ground too see what they will do.
    I've never had any feeding issues with them, and they have fit into all my different lowers, un-like some PMAGS.

Top Bottom