Heads up. Walmart putting their Mini 14s on clearance.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Just came from the east side store in Lafayette. He said they marked it down last Thursday to $599. Couldn't give me a time frame but said they will get marked down further if no sales. If you time it right, you might get a steal on one like some got when they marked the ARs down half price.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hmm... thanks for the heads up. I'll stop into some of the more rural stores on my trek around the state for work. Might score me a win.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd like to have a Mini-30 in stainless steel. I should've kept the one I had but that doggone .45 silencer was calling my name.
    Thanks for the info!

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    That's tempting. For a while I had contemplated a Mini-30 instead so I could potentially hunt with it someday (though I'll likely just use a 12 gauge still).

Anyway, not to cause a flame war or anything, but why would I NOT want a Mini-14? Note that the only rifles I own are 22LR.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's tempting. For a while I had contemplated a Mini-30 instead so I could potentially hunt with it someday (though I'll likely just use a 12 gauge still).

Anyway, not to cause a flame war or anything, but why would I NOT want a Mini-14? Note that the only rifles I own are 22LR.

They are not exactly known for being very accurate rifles. (all A-Team related kidding aside) And I really want to like them too. (mostly due to the A-team :): )

Greg makes some good points.

Hating on the Ruger Mini-14 | Active Response Training

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    When an item goes on clearance there is a reason, the market has spoken. What advantage does the Mini-14 offer over an AR pattern rifle?
    I assume the clearance is simply Walmart caving to pressure and not intending to carry semi-auto rifles anymore. It may not be a scary black gun (though I guess there are tactical stock options for the 14), but that is my assumption.

Thanks for talking me out of one though. :) I don't really need a rifle but hard to pass up a good sale.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    There are several comparison videos between the mini 14 and the ar 15. The accuracy issues have been (mostly) resolved, though I think 2-3 inches at 100 yds would be acceptable for most shooters.
    I have a mini 30 in stainless. The gun is a blast to shoot; no recoil and you still get a decent sized projectile down range. It is also legal to hunt deer now, and hornady makes a nice deer bullet. Plus, It doesn't look like an 'assault weapon.' That matters to loony tunes these days.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    There are several comparison videos between the mini 14 and the ar 15. The accuracy issues have been (mostly) resolved, though I think 2-3 inches at 100 yds would be acceptable for most shooters.
    I have a mini 30 in stainless. The gun is a blast to shoot; no recoil and you still get a decent sized projectile down range. It is also legal to hunt deer now, and hornady makes a nice deer bullet. Plus, It doesn't look like an 'assault weapon.' That matters to loony tunes these days.
    Hunting deer with a rifle seems like it would be too easy, which is why I figure I'll just stick to my 12 ga when I finally get to go.

However, since I've been spoiled by highly accurate rifles, I wouldn't be happy with anything not capable of sub MOA with decent ammo and it sounds like I'd have to spend way more than I'd ever care to in order to achieve that even with an AR.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ naw. A good barrel and in spec bolt installed into the cheapest AR receivers you could find can be sub MOA.

So I thought the Mini-14 used STANAG mags??? I thought wrong. I probably won't get one now unless someone gives us a link to some cheap mags.

INgunner54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    I always liked the Mini. They are fun to shoot, I don't really need any more of a reason than that! Thanks for the heads up.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A good barrel and in spec bolt installed into the cheapest AR receivers you could find can be sub MOA.
    I suppose this should be it's own thread (and I've seen at least one on "cheap" ARs a couple months back) but the nearly infinite combination of available parts makes it very difficult for someone not familiar with the AR world to know whether a particular rifle is "good" or not. I am also baffled by those offering ARs that have so few rounds (<500) through them, whether it is custom built or not. Maybe next ProTEQ day you and KJQ can school me on all this stuff. :)

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Hunting deer with a rifle seems like it would be too easy, which is why I figure I'll just stick to my 12 ga when I finally get to go.

However, since I've been spoiled by highly accurate rifles, I wouldn't be happy with anything not capable of sub MOA with decent ammo and it sounds like I'd have to spend way more than I'd ever care to in order to achieve that even with an AR.

You're right. By today's standards it isn't an accurate rifle. You're also right about deer. Shot placement matters, and it's not good past 150-200 (max).

Really just a fun plinker.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    So is $599 the current lowest price? Wally blew out Mossy 930 Water Fowl Editions last fall for wait... $124.00

Had Mini-14 SS in HS... Always wondered why it suffered accuracy. Young and dumb, didn't know about barrel whip. But, if the prices keep tracking down, I could get nostalgic.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... What advantage does the Mini-14 offer over an AR pattern rifle?

Less expensive if you consider that an advantage. Otherwise - none.

I tried at least 4 of them some years ago - all purchased new - and they all sucked.

Inaccurate, unreliable, expensive mags (all comparatively).

I'd take one if I had no other choice, but that's about it.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Less expensive if you consider that an advantage. Otherwise - none.

I tried at least 4 of them some years ago - all purchased new - and they all sucked.

Inaccurate, unreliable, expensive mags (all comparatively).

I'd take one if I had no other choice, but that's about it.

Price is it for me. As Hop mentioned above, any reasonable AR will out shoot it everyday.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    $599 isn't going to make me buy one. A quick Google search shows Walmart selling these for as little as $475 (several years ago, current pricing running ~$620) & I'm not sure that price is low enough to persuade me. I can buy a whole lot of AR goodies for $475!

PSA has had AR-15 stripped lowers for as low as $39, stripped uppers for $49. I used PSA upper/lower on my last SPR build. I installed a Faxon barrel and it's shooting sub MOA out to 500 yards.

I do like the look of a baby M14 though, which is where the Ruger get's its looks. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom