• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mylastregret

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I currently have around 4-500 to spend on optics for my 300 blackout. However I have an issue figuring out magnification and what to get. I've been looking st 2-6, 3-9, and 4-12. I just dont know which magnificstion or scope to get. I've been looking at shepherd, Leopold, and vortex.

Specs
    Purpose: hunting and shooting
    Barrel Length: 18in

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I currently have around 4-500 to spend on optics for my 300 blackout. However I have an issue figuring out magnification and what to get. I've been looking st 2-6, 3-9, and 4-12. I just dont know which magnificstion or scope to get. I've been looking at shepherd, Leopold, and vortex.

Specs
    Purpose: hunting and shooting
    Barrel Length: 18in

First I'm impressed you found an 18" 300blk barrel...

4 to 5 hundred leaves it pretty wide open for glass that will be just fine at 300blk ranges. I had a 2.5-10x on my 16" deer rifle and it was overkill. I've since switched to an swfa SS 1-4x ffp optic and love it. The true 1x makes it a fast acquisition red dot and 4x is plenty of magnification at 250 yards.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I currently have a vortex viper pst 1-4 on my 8.2" 300blk. It seemed to work out just fine for me last fall. I'd like to get more time with it shooting subs and supersonic ammo.

Mylastregret

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Indianapolis

4 to 5 hundred leaves it pretty wide open for glass that will be just fine at 300blk ranges. I had a 2.5-10x on my 16" deer rifle and it was overkill. I've since switched to an swfa SS 1-4x ffp optic and love it. The true 1x makes it a fast acquisition red dot and 4x is plenty of magnification at 250 yards.

Well I contacted Bartlein, because they deal specifically with long range competition barrels. They didn't make barrels for AR, but recommended me to someone else. The person split off from White Oak, and I went with him. I ordered a 43oz 18in with pistol length.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I currently have a vortex viper pst 1-4 on my 8.2" 300blk. It seemed to work out just fine for me last fall. I'd like to get more time with it shooting subs and supersonic ammo.
    This is the optic I'd go with within your budget and needs

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Same here. I would like to know if the additional length for 300 gains anything. On our 10.5" a 1-4, 16" 4.5-14 Burris MTACs.

Interesting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Oooh, that sure looks interesting.

I just put a PST 1-4 on my 8.5" pistol like this gent. It's still very early in my learning loop on 300 ACC, but I'm pretty happy with this scope setup. I have one on a 5.56 gun also.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    When in doubt, go with less magnification.

This plus my :twocents:

With the exception of serious "measure it with a caliper" target work it's hard to imagine a scenario where a -12x magnification on the top end would be very useful. The ballistics of the .300 just don't lend themselves to long range work.

And apart from the longer sight radius with irons I doubt whether you're getting any advantage from that 18" barrel either. Besides coolness that is. Coolness always counts.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Check Athlon Optics. https://athlonoptics.com/ In side by side tests with Vortex the Athlons were superior and less money. Also check out https://athlonoptics.com/scope-finder/ It will help you decide some.
    I have one of their long range scopes and like it a lot.

You got me interested in the Athlon 1-4x24 30mm... Couldn't beat the price. 1/5mil per click turrets. Mil-rad illuminated reticle. Going to give it a try this weekend. I was wanting another Burris but the Athlon reviews were impressive.

Being an :ingo:frugalist... I had some Cabela bucks, then purchased gift cards from raise.com for 15% off add free shipping and a $10 off coupon. Now were talking...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've got a 1x Vortex prism on my 300BLK. Milk jugs @ 200 yards is no big deal with 1x.

Top Bottom