• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Earlier this year, I posted questions about purchasing an entry level .308 bolt action. I received lots of responses, so in my gratitude and as promised, the subject of this report is a beginner level, sub $300 bolt action rifle in .308 by Thompson Center- The TC Compass. Since Smith & Wesson acquired this company, it has been presented as a value, and in my opinion, whatever its worth, TC delivered.

For starters: New to high power shooting, and new to reloading for high power rifles. This was the 2nd time in my life I shot .308. Having been spoiled by a Savage Stealth my first time, in comparison, this particular rifle doesn't appear to give the Stealth any competition, though with a bipod I feel it will get plenty of work done. I placed several shots inside a quarter with the Stealth on a bipod. Supported, and with the right ammo, I think this rifle will live up to its claim of 1 MOA at 100 yards.

Conditions and Target: Outdoor range, temperature around 88F, up to 14 mph wind gusts, no berms to protect from crosswind. Target was "FBI Circles".

First was a sight in at 25 yards. Optic used was the Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40, which came with the rifle. Total package still cost less than $300 from KYGunCo and included a free muzzle brake.

Ammo for sight in was TulAmmo. 150 gr. Steel Case. First shots were high and right, followed by several closer to the center.

dqkumt.jpg

Next I loaded some Perfecta stashed from some time ago, 147 gr. and moved back to 100 yds., prone on a camping mat, with a backpack rest.

ju9v6c.jpg

The barrel was not cooled or cleaned between shots as some have done. I just fired several in succession. The cases landed conveniently right next to my elbow.

Last, in limited time, I tested some hand loads made the night before. This was also the first time I ever hand loaded .308. Pictured results are 150 gr. Interlocks from Hornady, with BLC-2 and mixed cases, Remington primers. Not too happy with the accuracy here. More research to follow on the load development.

2sabk2v.jpg

Summary: The rifle has accuracy acceptable for myself as a beginner, is lightweight, easy to maneuver, and had very soft recoil. The Vortex scope got the job done fine. I trust it to hunt.

In a short time, I had a lot of fun with this budget blaster. Did I shoot the same sharpshooter score I did in Marine Corps JROTC? Nope. Then again this is a big boy rifle, not a plinker. I also didn't get the opportunity to shoot at any further distance this time out, but that's o.k. For the money, I am extremely satisfied with this gun. It gives something to tinker with while I look forward to a higher quality piece based on more practice and a bigger budget. I feel lucky I got a great deal and will be enjoying the journey getting it out as much as I can.

TC Compass .308, 1stLast&Always

o7obye.jpg
    wjwaip.jpg

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Perhaps try heavier bullets? 168gr, you never know what some rifles are going to prefer ammo wise, maybe not even bullet weight maybe the rifle will prefer federal fusion to hornady ammo for example. New rifles can be an adventure like that.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ...maybe the rifle will prefer federal fusion to hornady ammo for example. New rifles can be an adventure like that.

^True.
    I have a Gen I DPMS .308 that prefers, of all things, Remington Core-Lokt.
    Try a few different factory offerings to get close.
    That should give you some insight for hand loading.

Top Bottom