• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Somehow in the process of putting together my 9mm AR, I ended up with enough spare parts to throw together another lower assembly. I have 5.56mm, 9mm, and 300 Blackout already.

What do you think, INGO brain trust?

Only caveats -

1) Rifle-length barrel, as the spare lower has a collapsing stock.

2) Has to work with a standard lower. So .308 is, unfortunately, out of the question.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like Kaufmans idea. I built one two years ago and it seems to be the one I grab when I want to shoot a AR. I have built ARs in 6mmx45, 9mm and 5.56.

After I finished the 6mm x 45 I thought it was the best round for punching papper. Making a half inch group at one hundred yards was the norm off the bench.

I had been hearing how great the 6.5 Grendel is so I thought I would give it a go. It turned out as accurate as the 6mmx45 and has more power. What more could you ask for. Oh, they make factory ammo in the 6.5 Grendel. That is a plus if you don't reload.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built one in 7.62x39 back when the mil-surp supply was plentiful, and cheap.
    It doesn't have the reach that the 6.5 does, but it's fun nonetheless, and still relatively cheap to shoot.
    It wasn't that expensive to build back then either.
    YMMV

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a 6.5 Grendel which is complete and a .224 Valkyrie in the works. I anticipate having the time on my hands to play with load development in the not too distant future so both of these should provide plenty of entertainment.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Since you have 5.56, 300, and 9mm, you have short to medium range covered. I would suggest something to cover medium Plus, and hit a little harder. 6.5G or 6.8SPC. Both are proven hog killers, and are as hard hitting at distance, as you are going to get from an AR 15. If you want shorter range and harder hitting, there's the .450 and .458. If you need 1000 yards, look to the Valkyrie.

To me, guns and caliber revolve around distance. Good luck on your quest.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Having recently assembled a budget 458, I have to amend my previous post.

6.5 Grendel if you want to go long on paper and have a heavier bullet for a wide range of hunting applications than the Valkyrie (though the 224V is earning accolades).

458 socom if you want to be able say, "Yep, that's right, I said 458".

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Somehow in the process of putting together my 9mm AR, I ended up with enough spare parts to throw together another lower assembly. I have 5.56mm, 9mm, and 300 Blackout already.

What do you think, INGO brain trust?

Only caveats -

1) Rifle-length barrel, as the spare lower has a collapsing stock.

2) Has to work with a standard lower. So .308 is, unfortunately, out of the question.

.222 Rem. Nothing wrong with the old triple deuce.

Top Bottom