Henry Big Boy, .357, .44, .45 Which one?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I am interested in buying a Henry Big Boy or other similar gun as a keepsake gift (with the expectation that it get lovingly used for range time).

Started out thinking about a .22, but have fallen in love with the big octagon barrel larger caliber guns.

Other than trying to match the ammo to a style already purchased for an owned handgun, why else would you choose one caliber over another?

And is there another similar gun you would recommend over a Henry? If so, why?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    45-70-Large.jpg

45-70

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Lol, yep, yet another option!

I need help determining which one would be the more cool option to go. Do you go a little more authentic caliber, go with the easily accessed ammo?? I’m not concerned with hunting ability, but like the idea of buying what might be considered a little more special. Other thoughts??

Shootandreload

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2017
    FRANKLIN
    The only one I own is the 44. Love it and it' a great shooter. If you own a revolver in one of the 3 calibers that's what I would go with. You can take both to the range and use the same ammo.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Uberti makes a large variety of similar guns in the calibers you mentioned. They are worth a look.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I couldn't choose, so I didn't.
    I have Henry's in,
    .22Lr
    .22mag
    .327fed/mag
    .327fed/mag
    .357mag

Some day I'll also get the .44mag and the .45/70.
    Yes, I know I listed .327 twice. Liked it so much I bought TWO of them.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Important consideration for Indiana. 44 mag is legal for deer on public or private. 45-70 is legal on private only, not public.

With 45-70, you get more knock down power for deer, at the price of a bigger thump to the shoulder.

I think I would prefer the 45-70 just because of the greater power. I would consider it both practical and cool. Readily available, been around forever. But again, depends what you're going to use it for. Not an option at this time for public land in Indiana.

Another consideration. The brass rifles are really pretty, downright beautiful. Great for a keepsake, something to hand down, and for range trips. But maybe a little too beautiful to drag through the brush. I think as a hunting rifle, the steel is more practical.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It depends on what you want to use it for.
    1. Plinking, home defense, cowboy action shooting, I would go with the .357.
    2. Hunting at less than 100 yards I would prefer the 44 mag.
    The 45 long Colt is a great round and will serve all of the stated purposes. Just a little harder to find on the shelf, and a bit pricey. If you reload, any are good, but still cheaper to reload 38 special.
    I have been doing a lot of research on getting a third lever gun. Uberti, Winchester, Henry, Rossi and Marlin are all on my list. I will probably go with a Marlin due to price. You can pick up a new one for about $600. Just make sure it was not made between about 2009 and 2014. The Henry Rifle is a great rifle, but for me, I don't like the way it loads, and the cowboy action shooters don't like them because of their weight and they are very difficult to shoot fast. These reasons may not mean anything to you.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Stick with the Henry in .44 magnum. American made and backed by the best gun company in the business. Everyone knows the Remlins ain't the true Marlins they used to be for sure. Look carefully at the fit, finish and actions between the two guns and the Henry wins everytime. Enough said.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Hard to beat a Henry. I tend to favor the .357. You can do down to .38 special for plinking, and if you are a decent shot .357 is good enough with shot placement to bring down a deer.
    Plus, plenty of revolvers are made in those calibers for matching and ammo is not expensive and plentiful.

One other thing: if this is a true keepsake that won't be used go with the brass. If you plan on using for hunting outdoors at all go blued, or better yet get the all weather. Of course, the all weather isn't as nice a keep sake.

I'm too young for keepsakes; all my guns get used a lot.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I went with the .327 carbine. I already had 357 Marlins, Browning and Rossi. The 327 is a cool little magnum round with less recoil than 357, and I already had pistols in 327. The Henry is a quality piece.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    A bunch of really good comments here and a several things I wouldn’t have known (deer hunting legality). Thank you very much for the information. Would love to hear from others and continuing to research!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Stick with the Henry in .44 magnum. American made and backed by the best gun company in the business. Everyone knows the Remlins ain't the true Marlins they used to be for sure. Look carefully at the fit, finish and actions between the two guns and the Henry wins everytime. Enough said.

I would be interested to hear if you have actually handled one of the 1894 Remilns made in the last 2 years. Everything I have seen says they fixed the problems. From what I read Remington bought Marlin in January of 2008. The 1894 and other Marlins continued to be made by the same guys in the same factory for the next 2 years. Problems began later in 2009 when those guys found out they would have to move to New York and make much less money, or lose there jobs. After Remington started making the rifles in New York in 2010 without the Marlin experts on old wore out machines, junk started coming out daily. When Remington figured out this wasn't working, they completely retooled. The new rifles all have Ballard rifling, not microgroove, and yes they are "Remlins". In fact Remington saved the 1894 from never being produced again. Now if they can work out there own bankruptcy... I have 3 Remington firearms and am very fond of all of them. Remington has been making firearms longer than anyone else, so I think they do know a little bit about firearms. My 1894 cowboy was made in 2008 and is JM stamped. Maybe it is not the quality of a Henry, I don't know. But after taking 14 or 15 deer and a coyote, I have no complaints, and would love another. Like I said, the Henry is a great rifle, I just hate the way you load them. I would never buy a .22 when I was a kid that was tube fed for the same reason. But that is just me.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Just in case someone chose a Remlin/Marlin, the serial number tells when it was made.

According to Remington, the barrel code gives the date of manufacture. I have a 1895 that has a 2 letter code AJ on the left side of the barrel. The A is for March and the J is 2015. A friend has one that was bought the same time and only has one letter code R on the left side which is Nov but what year? Unless it has 2 letters, you can't tell the year made. Here are the Remington barrel codes. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
    The month letter,

B = Jan
    L = Feb
    A = Mar
    C = Apr
    K = May
    P = Jun
    O = Jul
    W = Aug
    D = Sep
    E = Oct
    R = Nov
    X = Dec

The year letter,

E = 2010, F = 2011, G = 2012, H = 2013, I = 2014, J = 2015, K = 2016

Older Marlins

89 / MR (See note Below)2011

On the older Marlins the first 2 numbers in the serial number indicate the year it was made. It goes the other direction after the number 99. Ex. 00, 01, 02...

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I went with the Silver version of the Big Boy in 357.
    View attachment 67843 View attachment 67844 View attachment 67845
    Targets fired last weekend at 50 yards with 10 shots and 5 shots at 100 yards both with Hornady 180 XTP reloads. The Henry has a 4X scope as I could not see the standard sights. I like the 357 as a range gun , less expensive than the larger calibers to shoot , really mild recoil and fairly accurate.

I had a Deluxe 1873 Uberti transferred in the other day in 44 40....Beautiful wood, finish, case colors etc....They are finished well...Very well...

There is a guy at my range who showed me his Uberti rifles one day and I will have to say they make my Marlins look like they were assembled by drunk monkeys. Better finished than my Henry as well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Saw a sweet Henry with ghost ring sights in 45-70 today at the Lafayette gun show. Surprised it was only $595. I would have guessed higher.

That is the slightly older version. Like the one that I have. They used a XS rear sight. The newer ones have a barrel mounted buckhorn. I really prefer the XS sight. I swapped out the ghost ring sight for a threaded stem. I use a merit aperture sight now. I run the same on my 44mag. I bought Skinner sights for it.

I really happy with both.

Top Bottom