• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I recently purchased a new Savage 10T .223 rifle. I added a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 scope to it using Vortex 30mm rings attached to the factory picatinny rail. I loaded 50 rounds using new Lapua brass, Winchester primers, 26 gr of Varget, and 55 gr Nosler ballistic bullets.

I took the rifle out to the range today and fired it for the first time. While shooting a 100 yards I was able to get the elevation set although I had to use quite a bit of the overall adjustment. However, I was unable to get the windage set to zero after using all of the adjustment available on the scope. My shots were at least 18” to the left of the bullseye ! The shots all fell into a 1” MOA group but would not come to the point of aim.

I tried removing the scope and resetting on the rail. I also checked the torque on the rings - all screws were set at 20 inch pounds using a torque screwdriver.

i think it must be the way I have mounted the scope - but cannot figure out how to make the necessary adjustments to bring it to zero. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I think for starters, take a good clear picture showing your setup and post it here for others to see.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The rings I purchased were about $60. I had considered purchasing Warne rings (which were $110) but was told (by the gun counter guy at Cabelas) that the Vortex rings would be fine.

(Not sure why - the pic is rotated 90 degrees left. The windage is what is off - not the elevation. The group on the cardboard was from a bench rest at 100 yards)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did you try adjusting the other direction? It's a pretty noobie mistake, but we've all done it :)

Yup.

And Rings are an important factor.

Try reversing the rings as in flipping them around 180 deg. on the optic and remount it to the rifle. See what effect that has on the alingment.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Just kind of something I want to throw in. I'm not sure I'd ever take the word of someone working in a big chain outdoor store.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just kind of something I want to throw in. I'm not sure I'd ever take the word of someone working in a big chain outdoor store.

Absolutely. The Vortex hunter rings are JUNK. If you got the viper, or Precision match you are fine.

Is the scope adjusting as it should outside of the fact your out of travel? For instance, when you move the windage left 3 moa does it move 3 moa (when your not out of travel). The thing that pops out in my mind about your setup is factory base. I would imagine you have these rings VIPER 1-INCH RIFLESCOPE RINGS which should be fine. Factory bases are free, and worth exactly what you pay for them. There is really no way to be certain without replacing the base. here is a list of what it could be and my GUESS at the probability

Holes in rifle tapped off square 30%
    base machined out of line 45%
    Scope travel not centered 15%
    Rings out of line 10%

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The last intelligent thing I've heard in a large chain store gun department was... "The restroom is behind the kayaks in back"
    Get a good base and trash the Vortex rings you've got. Save the screws though 'cause they come in handy at times for all kinds of things. Repeat...throw away the rings or give them to a liberal.
    I've had 2 sets of those rings and both have been the worst I've ever owned.
    Try to re-zero the scope with a clear head.
    IF it's still not working properly try a different scope for a reference point.
    Anything made by man or machine is prone to error.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The last intelligent thing I've heard in a large chain store gun department was... "The restroom is behind the kayaks in back"
    Get a good base and trash the Vortex rings you've got. Save the screws though 'cause they come in handy at times for all kinds of things. Repeat...throw away the rings or give them to a liberal.
    I've had 2 sets of those rings and both have been the worst I've ever owned.
    Try to re-zero the scope with a clear head.
    IF it's still not working properly try a different scope for a reference point.
    Anything made by man or machine is prone to error.

We dont even know for sure what Vortex rings he has, so to say trash them is a little pre mature. If they are the hunter rings I agree trash them, but if they are the the Viper or precision match (made by seekins precision) they are pretty good rings.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We dont even know for sure what Vortex rings he has, so to say trash them is a little pre mature. If they are the hunter rings I agree trash them, but if they are the the Viper or precision match (made by seekins precision) they are pretty good rings.

Good point. For some reason I took it that he was using the hunters.
    No clue to why my thoughts went there.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Do you have access to a different gun to try the scope on? That might let you know if the factory rail is straight.

phthom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Guilford
    Doesn't Seekins make all Vortex's rings, they make pretty decent gear? I'd pick up a bore sight if you don't have one, bag the heck out of the rifle and check where your at. Once you have initial zero at say 25-50yds move back to 100yds, then check scope tracking and find if there's a mechanical issue w/ the scope. Last Burris scope i had they beefed the retacle elevation placement and had it inversed, I.E. took like 10mils to zero.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Doesn't Seekins make all Vortex's rings, they make pretty decent gear? I'd pick up a bore sight if you don't have one, bag the heck out of the rifle and check where your at. Once you have initial zero at say 25-50yds move back to 100yds, then check scope tracking and find if there's a mechanical issue w/ the scope. Last Burris scope i had they beefed the retacle elevation placement and had it inversed, I.E. took like 10mils to zero.

Seekins only makes the precision match series.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I think for starters, take a good clear picture showing your setup and post it here for others to see.

Here are some pics. I took everything off and started over including removing the rail this time. I did find one of the rail screws was loose. As I began the process of seating the rings in the bases I made sure I had the rings all the way down in the rail and pushed forward. Torqued all screws to 18 inch pounds and set the gun in a base. Leveled the rifle and then the adjusted the scope to the rifle.

Set a target out at 30 yards and began the bore sighting process. I reset the windage and elevation knobs to the middle of the adjustment outer limits. I don’t have a gun vise so I did my best to position the gun resting in a grooved and slotted cardboard board box. After sighting down the bore and acquiring the target bullseye I then moved my eye to the scope. This time the crosshairs were (both) were within the outer edges of the first ring of the bull. I plan to take the gun back to the range tomorrow and make another attempt to zero the scope.

Got my fingers crossed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Here are some pics. I took everything off and started over including removing the rail this time. I did find one of the rail screws was loose. As I began the process of seating the rings in the bases I made sure I had the rings all the way down in the rail and pushed forward. Torqued all screws to 18 inch pounds and set the gun in a base. Leveled the rifle and then the adjusted the scope to the rifle.

Set a target out at 30 yards and began the bore sighting process. I reset the windage and elevation knobs to the middle of the adjustment outer limits. I don’t have a gun vise so I did my best to position the gun resting in a grooved and slotted cardboard board box. After sighting down the bore and acquiring the target bullseye I then moved my eye to the scope. This time the crosshairs were (both) were within the outer edges of the first ring of the bull. I plan to take the gun back to the range tomorrow and make another attempt to zero the scope.

Got my fingers crossed.

I've got a new Caldwell SOLO rest you can borrow if you need to. S.Side of Indy meet up if that might help you. Let me know and I'll throw it in the car.
    Your cardboard box might be just as good.

I bought a Savage like yours in .243 I had trouble getting the scope zero'd in as well.
    Groups were lousy. Like your base the screws were loose. Pulled it off, replaced it with Leupold bases and rings and it was a nail driver.

Top Bottom