Does anyone know much about Fox Sterlingworth?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I purchased a few items from this older gentleman, Marlin 39a, Luger, and a Fox Sterlingworth. I am obviously keeping the Marlin and Luger. But not being a hunter I really have no desire for shotguns. And I have never heard of these before. Doing research brings up crazy prices on these. Are these really that valuable? Should I be holding onto this as a safe queen strictly for an investment? Or is this a shotgun that should be out in the field? It’s a 28” barrel 20gauge. Very nice looking. Probably 85%.
    Thanks
    Abe

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Well, I am no expert. However, looking on Gunbroker, the lowest price I saw on the 8 pages of them was at about $440.00 and it appeared to be a "beater". The highest was $33,000.00. Again though I am no authority on Fox shotguns. I have no doubt condition plays a major role in their value just like all guns.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    pics round 1
    YoX7uTu.jpg

7jfZfk4.jpg

YafdMS9.jpg

J0zMGSJ.jpg

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Those ones on gunbroker with newish car prices are high grade. Yours is field grade. Depends heavily on when it was made as to price also, could be 800 could be a grand or two. That is one of the finest upland guns ever made though.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Fantastic shotgun. Looks to be in pretty good condition.

It would behoove you to have the lockup checked by a competent gunsmith to be sure it's in fine working condition.

Keep it oiled lightly and consider storing it in one of those silicon-impregnated gun socks. Definitely not in a leather or foam case.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've owned a couple of these shotguns and worked through the internals. Interestingly, you have to dissemble the receiver to some extent to remove the buttstock. Not a situation for the average shadetree mechanic.

The shotguns are of outstanding quality and have an excellent reputation among doubles enthusiasts. Value? $1,000 or less unless the original case hardening colors remain strong, then a few hundred more.

It's a keeper. Have the chambers and forcing cones lengthened and you have a fine upland game gun.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've owned a couple of these shotguns and worked through the internals. Interestingly, you have to dissemble the receiver to some extent to remove the buttstock. Not a situation for the average shadetree mechanic.

The shotguns are of outstanding quality and have an excellent reputation among doubles enthusiasts. Value? $1,000 or less unless the original case hardening colors remain strong, then a few hundred more.

It's a keeper. Have the chambers and forcing cones lengthened and you have a fine upland game gun.

Like Alpo I've had a few and can concur everything Alpo said...Also your gun is a "Philadelphia Fox" which is a little more desirable than my Sterlingworth 20 gauge which was "Utica, NY" marked...But was in 20 gauge which sort of evened it out...I love them...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, Flayderman's Guide says that Fox was a very well known name and make, circa 1880's - 1930's. Eventually taken over by Savage.

Top Bottom