July 4th AR Build - .224 Valkyrie (Can there be a more appropriate celebration?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I just wanted to share my latest AR-15 build with the fine folks of INGO. This rifle is extra special since it was assembled on Independence day. :patriot:

The rifle started as Colt Competition kit with the following add-ons and upgrades:

• 24" CMMG .224 Valkyrie barrel and low profile gas block
    • CMMG Bolt Carrier Group for 6.8SPC/224 Valkyrie
    • Magpul PRS GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock
    • Midwest Industries 17.5 Extended Rail One Piece Free-Float Handguard (M-LOK)
    • CMC 2-Stage Trigger Flat (2lb/2lb)

I can say that I am very pleased with the completed rifle. I still need to choose a muzzle device and optics, but the rifle is a done deal.

How she was conceived...
    E7nlMvUl.jpg

a 4th of July birth...
    T1tttKyl.jpg

LyOmcyol.jpg

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Want to see some groups. Nice looking build!

I’m not too fimilar with 224 Valk, is the 24” barrel recommended? I’ve seen several in 20”. Since it’s meant as a long range round, is it basically more length = more velocity?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nice looking rifle...love seeing the longer barrels once in a while!

I've considered .224 Valkryie...it's a fairly flat-shooting round, if what I've read is correct?

Congrats!

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I just recently learned about 224 but sounds like an interesting high velocity round. Is it better at longer ranges I’ve seen it described as beefed up 556.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a fun project, and I wanted everyone to see the results.

As to the barrel length... It has long been known that .223/5.56 rounds do not really gain any additional benefits past 18" to 20", but that is not the case with the .224 Valkyrie, where 22" to 24" seems to be the sweet spot. This gives the .224 round that edge to really reach out there, much like the 6.5 Creedmoor, which the .224 shares a closer BC than it does with the 5.56... The long winded way of saying that the .224 Valk and the 6.5 CM are much more slippery though the air than the old 5.56. With a bullet design this slick it just makes since to give it all the barrel it can use to stay aloft. Ballistic Coefficient by the numbers - BC for 6.5 Creedmoor = .623, BC for .224 Valkyrie = .563, BC for 5.56 = .372. These numbers are from the best bullet type of each caliber, and the higher, the better.
    I still won't be able to get to the range for a bit, since I am waiting for the scope and mount to arrive... I'll post some groups once the rifle has some glasses.

hHmPhqBl.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom