• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks for the article. Very interesting. I know at my LGS I rarely see slug guns for sale on the rack anymore.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing wrong with them at woods ranges, I've taken plenty of deer with various slug guns although in line muzzle loaders first started cutting into my use of them. A few accidents and a shuffling of leadership could easily wipe out all the gains rifles have made so far so I'm keeping mine and some ammo.

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    Nothing wrong with them at woods ranges, I've taken plenty of deer with various slug guns although in line muzzle loaders first started cutting into my use of them. A few accidents and a shuffling of leadership could easily wipe out all the gains rifles have made so far so I'm keeping mine and some ammo.
    You make some good points

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    With all the new high powered cartridges allowed for hunting in Indiana I definitely think rifles are becoming more popular.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No straight wall case mandate in Indiana.
    Also fail to see how a shotgun w reddot would differ in shot selection than a rifle with reddot.
    Took my first HP rifle deer in timber on the trot, w 4x.
    Piece of cake (was around 50 yards).
    Killed many with slug gun, several on the move.
    No big deal............trigger jobs, low mounted scopes, high comb stocks............proper systems.

Many slug guns are horribly set up, same for rifles.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Shot guns in general arnt my first choice for anything.

However they make nice truck guns. Cheap so who cares if it gets ripped off. When stuffed with rifled slugs its some bad medicine.

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    Shot guns in general arnt my first choice for anything.

However they make nice truck guns. Cheap so who cares if it gets ripped off. When stuffed with rifled slugs its some bad medicine.
    Yah thats about how I feel however I grew up on the more tactical shooting scene so i could be biased. I did just finish a season on a trap team which was a ton of fun sporting will always be good for shotguns but not slugs.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks for the article. Very interesting. I know at my LGS I rarely see slug guns for sale on the rack anymore.
    Having worked in gun stores I know neither store I worked at sold many shotguns until right before deer season started. There are more shooters than hunters too so its a smaller market.

I don't see slug guns going anywhere. They still get used a lot and the rifle gains cannot be used on public land so your options are still limited and cheaper than say a 44mag, 357, 450, or 458

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I read about you folks happy about talking rifles and blah blah blah. From someone who has only had access to public land you learn some things. One is stealth and not reaching out. I have bagged deer with bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. I do not have a problem with that since I would rather hunt than shoot. A shotgun is the most versatile weapon in existence if you are in stealth mode. Having said that, yeah, a 12 ga has alot of recoil. Unless one is going after waterfowl a 20 would work great with buck or ball. I could elaborate but had better not since this is a family friendly site.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Much easier to slap a red dot on a shotgun and hit a deer moving down a wooded trail. That said, I hunt with a rifle and take patient shots.

Although truthfully, with the availability of good LPVO down in the 1.0-1.1x magnification range, rifles can have at least the same shootability and lethality, but with lower recoil which makes followup shots (if needed) a better possibility.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a Marlin bolt action slug gun, it has it's uses and wouldn't sell it unless things were dire. My son calls it may anti-materiel gun. It fits a slot in the arsenal.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have a Marlin bolt action slug gun, it has it's uses and wouldn't sell it unless things were dire. My son calls it may anti-materiel gun. It fits a slot in the arsenal.

My marlin slug gun may be going to a smith to get rebarreled and set up for still board/turkey shoots. It just sits there.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    My son calls it may anti-materiel gun. It fits a slot in the arsenal.

I'm assuming everyone's already heard of the XX GA "From Hell" wildcats?
    Take a full length brass 3.5" cartridge, load with a slow burning voluminous powder, cap with a slug, treat as a poor man's Nitro Express?
    1212.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I doubt they will disappear completely but slug guns have a pretty dim future. An already small market has grown smaller recently and that trend is likely to continue.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Most folks buy a shotgun for double duty.
    Esp beginners to hunting.........870 or M500 "combo".

Even w the recoil of the 12 ga...........follow up shots are easy...........if the gun is set up right.
    For me that means a high comb stock, and a low mounted scope.

Too many slug guns use clam shell mounts, or cantilever bbls.........usually w field stocks.
    Hard enough to shoot decent from the bench single, let alone field.........in multiple.

Some folks still think it acceptable to give junior a handful of old mixed slugs and a bead sight single shot.
    If they lose deer there are others they can shoot.

Not just rednecks.
    Still see folks w decent jobs/education half arsing it.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom