• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Not having shot a shotgun and not hardly ever seen skeet and trap being shot I got invited to a trap and skeet shooting event. What kind of shotgun does one use for this? I was told to bring shells with steel shot too.

I assume I do not need the $2,500 Browning Citori! :-)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not having shot a shotgun and not hardly ever seen skeet and trap being shot I got invited to a trap and skeet shooting event. What kind of shotgun does one use for this? I was told to bring shells with steel shot too.

I assume I do not need the $2,500 Browning Citori! :-)

For those that are into shotgun sports, a Trap shotgun will be different from a Skeet shotgun. However, I have seen people post very good scores with a Remington 870.

You might stop in at Indiana Gun Club and talk to them. They can help you. I am currently saving for a Citori CX which is a "crossover" so to speak. I can use it for both Trap and Skeet along with Sporting Clays. I believe they are available for around $1700.

Until I get that I use an old Beretta AL-2 autoloader. It is a duck gun but works fine. As in other shooting sports the gun isn't going to get you the high scores. That will be up to the shooter.

Interesting that they require steel shot. For those of you that shoot shotgun, is this normal? I have always shot lead during the the time I shot Trap at various clubs.

All this said I would try to borrow one for this outing. You may not like it. And if you do, you can get some great tips on what to buy talking to others at the event.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Since you are looking for a shotgun to shoot both Trap and Skeet, you may want to consider looking for one that has interchangable chokes. However if you find one with a full choke tube you may want to verify that it will handle steel shot.There shouldn’t be a problem with more wide open choke tubes and using steel shot. If you select a shotgun that has a fixed choke barrel, I might suggest that you stick with a modified choke. I think you can safely shoot steel shot through it, and although maybe not 100% ideal you can shoot skeet with it. I agree with previous poster about using steel shot for trap and skeet.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If there is an option to borrow or rent a gun, do that.

Someone mentioned Indiana Gun Club and that is an excellent suggestion. Stop by or give them a call and they can point you in the right direction and let you know what to expect.

I've never shot a skeet or trap match and I've shot sporting clays exactly once. It was at IN Gun Club and they set all of us newbies up with the Remington 870 pumps. It worked fine for that.

I found one here in the classies for cheap and it's what I will take if I get a chance to do it again.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It sounds like you don't have a shotgun, so borrowing one or renting would be a great idea and then maybe you'll know if you want to buy one after. I've got a nice over and under and I've shot everything up to a $20k+ pairs of Berettas and Holland and Hollands. Anymore I pretty much shoot everything with the same shotgun I hunt with. I know this isn't 100% true but to me it's more of an indian not the arrow thing. I've seen a good shooter with a $1200 shotgun smoke guys with Perrazis and other really expensive shotguns that cost 5 and 6 times that much.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It sounds like you don't have a shotgun, so borrowing one or renting would be a great idea and then maybe you'll know if you want to buy one after. I've got a nice over and under and I've shot everything up to a $20k+ pairs of Berettas and Holland and Hollands. Anymore I pretty much shoot everything with the same shotgun I hunt with. I know this isn't 100% true but to me it's more of an indian not the arrow thing. I've seen a good shooter with a $1200 shotgun smoke guys with Perrazis and other really expensive shotguns that cost 5 and 6 times that much.

Yup. Unless I was regularly shooting perfect rounds, I would not own a Perrazi or any of the uber expensive shotguns. I'd rather be that guy with the lower priced shotgun cleaning up on the Perazzi's and Krieghoff's.:)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

As I recall (I was told years ago at Wildcat Rifle and Pistol club) one of their members had won the Indiana state trap with a Mossberg 500! Personally I have never been able to shoot trap or skeet with any double barrel shotgun. I was fair with semi-auto and trap guns of various brands but terrible with doubles!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd get 23 or 24 with my POS 1100 magnum.
    Swapped a bud (he had Broadway Trap Browning).
    Shot a 23 and 24 with it.
    Funky.....like looking down an aircraft carrier or something.
    Worked same for me as my gas gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I did OK with my Mossberg 500 in 4H when I was a kid. Today I do OK with my $400 Stoeger Condor O/U.

At this stage its more about the shooter than the gun. You can bust clays reliably with any shotgun. Hell, I even did one with a mare's leg SBS running mini shells once. :): (I didnt try that shot a second time)

Definitely borrow.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are going with one shotgun, you definitely need to be able to change choke tubes as trap calls for a tight pattern as the distance will be further. Skeet needs a very open choke for closer crossing shots.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Any field gun should take care of your needs as long as it will shoot two or more rounds. I used to shoot skeet regularly and trap occasionally and used either an Ithaca 51 automatic or a Remington 870. Trap takes a tighter choke than skeet. Both use shells with shot no larger than 71/2 or 8 (in lead shot, I don't know what size steel is used but suspect the same.) You could shoot both with an IC or Mod. choke since you probably won't be farther than the 16 yd. line in trap. They handicap trapshooters by moving further away from the thrower. In skeet handicap comes from using a smaller gauge (all the way down to .410). You'll need a shotgun, shells, eye and ear protection, and should have a shell bag. You can get a cheap one at Walmart or even use a nail pouch. It is addictive so be fore warned.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I had a friend take me to a sporting clays course a few years ago and I got me hooked! I knew I would never be doing any shooting competitively and wanted a good semi-auto that would serve me well I all shooting sports. I ended up buying a Beretta A300 and am still pleased with my purchase to this day. I typically shooting skeet and trap at Atterbury and the interchangeable chokes tubes allow me to easily switch between both.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a friend take me to a sporting clays course a few years ago and I got me hooked! I knew I would never be doing any shooting competitively and wanted a good semi-auto that would serve me well I all shooting sports. I ended up buying a Beretta A300 and am still pleased with my purchase to this day. I typically shooting skeet and trap at Atterbury and the interchangeable chokes tubes allow me to easily switch between both.

Are there any places close to us to shoot Trap? Or Sporting Clays?

Top Bottom