• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I recently shot my Beretta CX4 in a steel challenge match, and I loved it. So much fun to shoot a carbine fast. The CX4 is a nice little carbine, but it is far from an ideal competition carbine. The safety is super sticky, the trigger is sluggish and heavy (but very clean if that makes sense), and the ergo is not ideal. I've kind of made a commitment to learning PCC and am beginning to really focus on it. Every range trip I make it goes with me and I have spent a good bit of time in the garage dry firing.

When it comes to USPSA SCSA shooting what are the limitations? The rulebook seems to be pretty open on mag cap, and gun modifications. Are there any gotya's? I've been shooting PCCI, but seem to be the only one who shoots it.

So what is there to look for in a competition PCC? What are the frequently broke rules or procedural errors? Why is pcci so unpopular? If a person were to put together a 9mm ar style pcc what is the best upper option? Is a dedicated 9mm lower preferred over a standard lower with an insert? What gear should a prepared pcc shooter have? (mag carriers, chamber flags?) Can I run my 20 round mags full for scsa/uspsa? Can I run even higher capacity magazines? What are some good drills to run when I've got the conservation club to myself?

Lots of questions, I'm shooting more and more matches at different venues so I'm learning as I go as well as seeking advice online.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    When it comes to USPSA SCSA shooting what are the limitations? The rulebook seems to be pretty open on mag cap, and gun modifications. Are there any gotya's? I've been shooting PCCI, but seem to be the only one who shoots it.

suggest going to uspsa.org and downloading the rules.
    as for PCC, there are very few rules, other than no pistol stocks like sig brace, and caliber.
    PCC-irons probably isn't very popular because most guys would be shooting their USPSA guns... there is no irons/vs optics division separation in USPSA so most are using dots.

So what is there to look for in a competition PCC?

RELIABILITY.

If a person were to put together a 9mm ar style pcc what is the best upper option? Is a dedicated 9mm lower preferred over a standard lower with an insert? What gear should a prepared pcc shooter have? (mag carriers, chamber flags?) Can I run my 20 round mags full for scsa/uspsa? Can I run even higher capacity magazines?

No preference here on adapters vs dedicated 9mm lower. I still favor colt pattern vs glock mags. colt pattern still seems to have reliability edge. but big mags are easier with glocks. No mag capacity limits.

you'll want some way to move the gun around between stages, eg bag or cart. chamber flags are a must. I have one mag pouch for pcc, either for those just-in-case issues or for classifiers with mandatory reloads.

-rvb

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    chamber flag is a necessity
    bag or 3 gun buggy.

USPSA matches your probably want a mag carrier or 2 on your belt.

steel challenge, you really dont need mag carriers.

myself, i'm a horrible iron sight shooter with my glasses, sights are a blur, without them sights are fine, but i couldnt hit a bull in the ass with a 2X4 :lmfao:

i shoot rimfire optics rifle and pistol for steel, and (still) shoot an open single stack 45 in open USPSA.

my cart is a modified granny grocery cart, damn range bag seems to get heavier every time i shoot!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You want a last round bolt hold open. REALLY slows you down if you dont.

And most Glock mag fed units are not LRBHO. I bought a PSA and replaced the upper with a Spartan Upper that uses a thick wire to actuate the BHO. Works great with factory mags, but not so much with aftermarket mags like ETS.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    JP Upper? The gunsmith who built my ak suggest the new sig pcc, pretty adamantly. They seem pretty spendy tho.

Sig and JP should be good2go if you have the $.
    Lots of cheaper options too. Guy here has an Ar he built I think he said around $600. had some kinks to iron out but has been reliable for him.

Agree with the last round bolt hold-open also.

-rvb

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Cost isn't really an issue, I'm not buying it tomorrow. My current gear is good enough to learn on. I'd really like to nail down the auxiliary equipment, rules, and get more experience from different venues before I getting spendy on another rifle. But I did pick up my bobcat armament lower this morning, and have a nice geiselle trigger and a seekins lpk for it...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So I have kind of narrowed it down to three PCC's
    JP, i'd probably just do an upper, ive got a pile of lowers. 960 ish built for the upper.
    Wilson Combat, lrbho, but pricey coming in at 2k and I believe the bho requires the Wilson mags to work
    MPX, I've been recommended this by one of the few guys in guns that I take their word as law. I didn't ask about the wc as they are kind of competitors... similar price to the Wilson, but it is still a sig..

I've got some time to think it over and I welcome any input.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    So I have kind of narrowed it down to three PCC's
    JP, i'd probably just do an upper, ive got a pile of lowers. 960 ish built for the upper.
    Wilson Combat, lrbho, but pricey coming in at 2k and I believe the bho requires the Wilson mags to work
    MPX, I've been recommended this by one of the few guys in guns that I take their word as law. I didn't ask about the wc as they are kind of competitors... similar price to the Wilson, but it is still a sig..

I've got some time to think it over and I welcome any input.

Invite me to a match, and I'll bring you a MPX SBR to test run. I've used it at MCFG, Friday Night Steel several times. It's a hoot.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Invite me to a match, and I'll bring you a MPX SBR to test run. I've used it at MCFG, Friday Night Steel several times. It's a hoot.

I'll have to do that. Being that I'm in no rush sbr for all three of the listed options has crossed my mind. If I get into the sport tho I'm afraid it will limit where I can go to much.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'll have to do that. Being that I'm in no rush sbr for all three of the listed options has crossed my mind. If I get into the sport tho I'm afraid it will limit where I can go to much.

Is running an SBR prohibited at some matches?? I figured as long as you have the correct paperwork and tax stamps no one would care honestly.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Is running an SBR prohibited at some matches?? I figured as long as you have the correct paperwork and tax stamps no one would care honestly.

I use an sbr. Never been an issue.
    -rvb

Competition 9mm on top with bump-in-the-night 5.56 sibling below...

Attachments

• 54C9A739-1018-4644-853A-414849DC9665.jpg
      54C9A739-1018-4644-853A-414849DC9665.jpg
      211.8 KB · Views: 6

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Just meant participating in events in states that do not allow sbr's. SBR's are expressly permitted in the rulebook, but law overrides rules. I loved living in Washington and if shooting a match coincides with visiting old friends an sbr is a no go.

Edit, I guess sbr's are allowed there now?? IDK but the legal confusion of when and where I could have it is a drawback.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Just meant participating in events in states that do not allow sbr's. SBR's are expressly permitted in the rulebook, but law overrides rules. I loved living in Washington and if shooting a match coincides with visiting old friends an sbr is a no go.
    You can change out a barrel on an MPX in 5 minutes. No worries.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Edit, I guess sbr's are allowed there now?? IDK but the legal confusion of when and where I could have it is a drawback.

well obviously you have to follow the laws.......
    same as even your pistol may not be legal in CA, or mags in various states, etc...

theres only like 5 or 6 states that don’t allow sbr,s

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom