• ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hi All,

I'm still relatively new to firearms and I'd appreciate the kids gloves on this topic. I've noticed that on my Mossberg 590, I have some trouble reloading. I use this gun for a home defense gun and I'd like some feedback on how to operate it better. I notice that if the barrel of the gun is pointed downward that the tongue of the receiver will drop the shell on the ground. If I point the barrel up, I can generally get the tongue to get the round into the receiver. I generally have a better take when I pump like hell vs trying to take it easy on the gun and baby the stroke.

Is all of this common and I should just kick my gun around a little harder?

Again, I'm new to shotguns and I'm mostly practicing cycling in my bedroom without taking actual shots. What's the best practice for running a shotgun? Pump like hell with the snout up?

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Rack your shotgun vigorously. Don't worry, the 590 can take it. Short-stroking and user induced misfeeds are one of the chief sources of pump shotgun malfunctions.

If that's to be your primary defensive tool, I'd suggest some training to learn how to run it well. ACT offers a defensive shotgun class (or two), but I don't know if it's on the schedule for the remainder of the year.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Please take a shotgun class if you are going to use a shotgun for self defense. They well go over all those issues that you are having and explain how to correct it.

Top Bottom