Ditch the Arsenal AK for an M16A4 clone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ....so I’ve got a very low round count Arsenal SLR-107FR that’s basically just sitting in my safe....I never shoot the thing....ever....after some serious inward reflection, I realize that it’s just uncomfortable for me....it’s front-heavy, has awkward magazine changes, and has a bunch of sharp edges....I’m seriously considering selling it and using the proceeds to buy an M16A4 clone (such as the military collectors series from FN)....that being said, I’m hesitant to do so because, well, AK....lol....seriously though, I really like the field-strip process of the AK, and I like how easy it is to clean....I am also aware of the relative scarcity of the SLR-107FR at the moment....my concern is that I won’t be able to get another one if I change my mind after I sell it, but as I mentioned above, I never shoot it....I still have an M92 SBR that I need to build up, so I wouldn’t be completely leaving the AK platform, but the Stoner platform is a damn sight more comfortable to me....in addition, as far as a WROL situation, the AK platform isn’t supported enough in the US to be able to get it up and running quickly if it were to go down....and in my experience, when AKs go down, they go down hard....so, in a nutshell, I’m interested in the forum members’ opinions on the matter....thanks in advance!....

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is this an either/or situation?

I like ARs, but miss my Arsenal AK.

Why not both?
    ....not necessarily either or....I’m just wondering if I should even bother if I don’t like the AK platform....I don’t really see anything that I’d need it for that the Stoner platform couldn’t take care of...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ....not necessarily either or....I’m just wondering if I should even bother if I don’t like the AK platform....I don’t really see anything that I’d need it for that the Stoner platform couldn’t take care of...

I'm not a real fan of the AK platform but I've got 6 of them including 3 Arsenal SLR-95s. They're NOT a balanced weapon, heavier than what I THINK they should be and they rattle and aren't very nice to look at or fondle.
    BUT....
    They're build like a Russian tank. Nothing fancy but will always get the job done. They will eat anything, you don't worry about scratching them or getting them dirty or wet, and it's really hard to build a friendship with them. I don't speak the language either so communications suck.
    Was I talking about an AK or a Glock?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you don't like your arsenal slr, there are things you can do to make it more betterer *edit* as long as your not a purist.

VJxwW7Q.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    of course, there is no need to be exclusive. I call this one "harmony

DDM4A1, Arsenal SLR mp40c 2.0 and a glock32 As polarized as you can get, and I love them all.

3IzE8kj.jpg

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I would go quality AR platform over any AK platform any day of the week. Gave the AK a fair 3 year trial and I found then lacking based upon real world experience.

chatsubobar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2018
    West Lafayette
    So, you have a very nice AK that you do not like. You want a very nice AR that you will probably like. I would sell the AK and get the AR. The platform and the mythos don't really matter in my opinion. If you don't like it, and you can get something else... get something else.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I find myself conflicted with the same issue. I have a really nice Norinco MAK90 that I NEVER shoot and I have been going back and forth on replacing it with a another AR platform (like I need another one). It's the last AK that I own and I like the idea of having one, but it just sits there taking up space.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So, you have a very nice AK that you do not like. You want a very nice AR that you will probably like. I would sell the AK and get the AR. The platform and the mythos don't really matter in my opinion. If you don't like it, and you can get something else... get something else.

^ I agree with this. That said, I try not to have an attachment to something because of what it is. It has to earn its keep (and collecting dust doesn’t count :D) or it moves in for something that will. Life it too short to own things you don’t enjoy.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I'd let it go if you don't shoot it. I have personally sold all my AK's except my SGL-21. One sold last week on gunbroker for $2800, so I should probably sell it too!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would go quality AR platform over any AK platform any day of the week. Gave the AK a fair 3 year trial and I found then lacking based upon real world experience.
    Agreed, several AKs, including two Fuller builds (pre Rifle Dynamics) and they just did t or couldn't do it for me. The Arsenal is a great rifle, but for the sale price you could get for it, a Quality AR can be built or bought.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would dump the AK especially if they are bringing big cash right now. I think you're going to dig the new AR.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If you're not broke and don't have to sell it to fund the AR, I wouldn't, not right now anyway.
    As far as AK's bringing "big dollars", they'll bring even more should we have another "panic", which is likely.
    I too am more of an AR guy, I currently have 3 Arsenal's collecting dust, and they will continue to do so.

I would find another weapon to sell if you have to "sell one to buy one".
    Something that will not bring "big dollars" during a panic, and if you want those big dollars, open a gunbroker acct. now if you don't already have one.
    That is the only venue to get the money that they're worth.

Top Bottom