• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    My first shotgun was a 16 gauge. My Dad gave me a Marlin Model 90 O/U. A Marlin you say? Yes, Marlin made shotguns in the late 1940's and I think up until the late 1950's maybe early 1960's. My particular gun was early 1950's manufacture. I still have it 50+ years later and I still use it regularly for upland bird hunting. It is choked Full and Modified and swings like a dream in the woods. I loved the Marlin so much that over the years I have been able to assemble a trio of Model 90s - 12, 16 and 20 gauge all early 1950's dates. But, the 16 will always be my favorite.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My first shotgun was a 16 gauge. My Dad gave me a Marlin Model 90 O/U. A Marlin you say? Yes, Marlin made shotguns in the late 1940's and I think up until the late 1950's maybe early 1960's. My particular gun was early 1950's manufacture. I still have it 50+ years later and I still use it regularly for upland bird hunting. It is choked Full and Modified and swings like a dream in the woods. I loved the Marlin so much that over the years I have been able to assemble a trio of Model 90s - 12, 16 and 20 gauge all early 1950's dates. But, the 16 will always be my favorite.

I had someone bring me a Marlin model 90 O/U in 12ga a couple of years back. He was hard up for cash and I think I gave him $175 for it.
    It looks like it was produced in the 1950's, and used, but not abused. It has a nice patina and still shoots well.

For the O.P.
    I have a J.C. Higgens 16ga bolt action shotgun.
    A friend gave it to me and asked if I could fix the cracked stock.
    Instead, I found a beautiful replacement stock for less than $20.
    I went ahead and replaced it without even asking about the price. I figured, "Who could argue with a like new stock for $20"?

I took it back to my friend and he said "Enjoy it. I haven't shot it in over 20 years anyway".
    So, I ended up with a 3-shot bolt-action 16ga that I wasn't really looking for.

It's a working shotgun so I'll keep it, even though I don't shoot it often.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    here is the marlin 90 16 ga I just retired in favor of the browning
    Interesting modifications to the butt stock. How did you manage to get that done in the manner it was done? My Model 90s are all full stock and original and in very, very good original condition and all shoot extremely well.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    Interesting modifications to the butt stock. How did you manage to get that done in the manner it was done? My Model 90s are all full stock and original and in very, very good original condition and all shoot extremely well.

the comb was installed by tronspace(When I bought it the seller gave me an extra butt stock) on the extra butt stock. the butt plate is a morgon adjustable. set up perfect for trap

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't have a 16, did borrow one back in the 50's. I never did figure out why or how the 20 gauge became more popular than the 16. The 16 did just about everything the 12 gauge does except long range goose hunting where as the 20 doesn't have the reach to hunt ducks or other waterfowl as effectively in my opinion. I was born in '41, the only shotgun gauges used in my area in the '50's and 60's were .410, 12, 16 and an occasional 10. As a young hunter I never even heard of a 20 gauge!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have a few 16's, sold off a few so I am down to 4. Mostly old Winchester Model 12 & 24's. I think the lack of availability of shells hurts the gauge most of all. Rare to find in stock at stores and few choices if you do. The Winny 24 is a true rabbit getter.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a Western Arms 16ga single that I bought off a fellow from the TN hills. It has a few notches carved in the stock that I don't think counted rabbits...I'm planning on eventually getting a double in 16 for field work.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have a few 16's, sold off a few so I am down to 4. Mostly old Winchester Model 12 & 24's. I think the lack of availability of shells hurts the gauge most of all. Rare to find in stock at stores and few choices if you do. The Winny 24 is a true rabbit getter.
    Milltown, I am in new salisbury and belong to the milltown american legion. walmart in corydon sells them, I reload. do you shoot trap?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Naw, I don't shoot trap. I never found any good recipes for them... lol. It isn't that I can't, I just haven't. We probably know a lot of the same people. I am a regular at Triple G.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I love the 16, I have 2 . My dad's first shot gun was a 870 in 16, he bought it around '52 or '53. I liked it so much when I could afford it I bought one like it . Now I have his also. The 16 is a do it all gauge. Lighter than a 12 and packs the same pay load. Too bad they sit unused in the safe now because there's no quail to hunt.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have 3 and they are the favorites of all my shotguns. Two zastava SxS, one english stocked with a silver receiver and the other has a prince of wales grip with a blued receiver. My third, which is my favorite and one of my prized possessions is a 1953 belgium made browning A5 that was my grandfathers. It is the shotgun I learned to shoot on with purple paper hulled shells. I still have a few boxes of those squirreled away, I shoot a few every so often for the smell. The english stocked zastava is my workhorse and go to gun for most of my hunting and clays shooting.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    My theory is that the 16ga didn't evolve to the 3 inch format. Plus I here people always complain about the recoil of the 12 & 16 so the 20 took off cause of the lesser recoil.

Top Bottom