• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got a good deal on a couple of boxes of 45-70 a couple of weeks ago, so I decided I needed a rifle to shoot it with. :): Found this on Gunbroker, incorrectly listed as a High Wall model 1885. From what I could find on completed auctions, I did well, probably in part because it was listed wrong. I'd been wanting a 45-70 rifle for awhile now, so getting the ammo gave me the push I needed. Sold my Egyptian Hakim to finance it. It's made by IAB Gardone Italy. Can't wait to try this beast out. I'll have to get familiar with the rear sight adjustment.

gRGMvMM.jpg

DfMBara.jpg

UXP1KA3.jpg

7KAH9bK.jpg

azrZEM6.jpg

cNd5tZN.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great looking rifle. Get your bore dimension and cast up some 400 grain slugs for it. Those big tang sights take a little getting used to, keep eye close enough for focus, but not too close you get an eyeball slap.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had a Shiloh for a bit...Kind of hit and miss on those IAB imports...I'm saying "hit" on yours because he put a pretty nice rear sight on it...Beautiful rifle...Have fun and watch Qui....Oh you know what to watch.....:)

Hopefully it's a good one. Doesn't look like there is a lot that could go wrong with it, being such a simple design. I really want to hear the "thump" when I take it to the range and shoot some steel with it. I might have to see if Quigley is available on demand. ;) (Although his was a 45-110 :faint:)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've been scanning the back yard for buffalo and grizzly bears, but no sign of any so far. I'm ready if they show up though! :):

Make sure they line up just right so you don't waste ammo. :):

I've bought ammo and parts for guns years before I finally got them. Why miss out on opportunities when they come up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Great looking rifle. Get your bore dimension and cast up some 400 grain slugs for it. Those big tang sights take a little getting used to, keep eye close enough for focus, but not too close you get an eyeball slap.
    I probably won't cast my own, but I do plan on loading for it. Starline has unprimed brass for $122/250. Haven't priced projectiles yet. Definitely going to be conscious of that rear sight!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Make sure they line up just right so you don't waste ammo. :):

I've bought ammo and parts for guns years before I finally got them. Why miss out on opportunities when they come up.

I still have a box of 6.5x54 Mannlicher... just in case I find one that doesn't break the bank.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I got a good deal on a couple of boxes of 45-70 a couple of weeks ago, so I decided I needed a rifle to shoot it with. :): Found this on Gunbroker, incorrectly listed as a High Wall model 1885. From what I could find on completed auctions, I did well, probably in part because it was listed wrong. I'd been wanting a 45-70 rifle for awhile now, so getting the ammo gave me the push I needed. Sold my Egyptian Hakim to finance it. It's made by IAB Gardone Italy. Can't wait to try this beast out. I'll have to get familiar with the rear sight adjustment.

gRGMvMM.jpg

DfMBara.jpg

UXP1KA3.jpg

7KAH9bK.jpg

azrZEM6.jpg

cNd5tZN.jpg

Hey DD, that's a pretty rifle. You gots a bunch of old rifles. Ever think about some overtime and buy a new one?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Once upon a time I got a beautiful 1889 stamped rolling block 45-70 in a Louisiana bayou country ice house.
    The groove diameter was way oversized at .463" but it shot great with heavy lubed lead bullets cast real soft.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    That's what I call a sight radius, DD!

By the way, there is a buffalo farm just a quarter mile down the road from me. Not exactly fair chase, but what the heck?

Top Bottom