• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm building a "pistol" to use in Run-n-Gun events. An SBR is too much of a pita to take across state lines. I already have the Aero upper & lower + lower parts kit, pistol buffer kit. I do not yet have a barrel nor a hand guard. Pounds are pain so trying to keep it light!

Barrel requirements:
    10.5" - 12.5" length
    Gas port needs to be big enough to lock back the bolt WITHOUT a suppressor.
    Light weight (pencil profile or fluted. CF would be awesome but I think it's out of my $ range)
    ~1-2 MOA accuracy (RnG event distances are contact to ~300 yards)
    5.56mm / .223 (NATO or Wyle chamber is fine, no super tight match chambers. I'll probably be using MK262 Mod 1 77 grain OTM ammo)
    Corrosion resistant (it's for an RnG after all, lots of crawling through water and mud)
    Cost <$300

Hand guard requirement:

I'd prefer carbon fiber but my Noveske NSR is stupid light. My BCM is also light but is a bit thicker & heavier than the Noveske.
    Rails not important but I'll need to attach a sling mount @ the 6 o'clock position.
    Cost <$300

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I like that HG Ggreen. I think I'll give it a try! ORDERED!

I'm happy with my Faxon 18" too but I can't find an ~11.5" in stock anywhere.

I found this BCM barrel & it's actually in stock! ORDERED + low pro gas block:
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM...HANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-11-elwf-std.htm

I've got a complete 11.5" BCM upper with the same barrel on my SBR'd lower. Super light, but the thing does get a little toasty quickly. Accuracy is pretty decent, 1" groups around the 50 yd mark with my Accupower 1-4. I'm sure the groups could be way better, but I'm a terrible shot and I was using PMC 55gr plinking ammo.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    To keep this lighter weight rifle under control I've also ordered a Precision Armament M4-72 brake. You will NOT want to be next to me when I shoot this thing. This brake will punish you. Not the lightest muzzle device out there but it is the most effective.

I'm not sure what I'll do for glass. I have a very light weight Leopold VX-3i 1.5-5 not doing anything right now (waiting for my rimfire sporter gun to arrive). I could maybe pick up a Strike Eagle 1-6 though and have a BDC. That thing is a half pound heavier than the Loopy though. :runaway:

Last edited:

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Great choices, but if weight and functional use play a greater role than cosmetics, the standard double shielded Colt M4 HGs are the way to go. I believe Delta+Weld spring, Hgs and the HG cap weighs less than your current set-up. It also looks BA if you do screw on a can...LOL

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I used my Colt 14.5" with BC1.5 @ a Run-n-Gun last Feb. M3 profile barrel, Magpul non-free floated hand guard, ACOG. That setup worked well but was still a bit heavy & I'm too old and dingged up to run fast with extra weight.

I wanted to try a lighter 5.56 upper this next time. SBR are a pita to take out of state for theses events in KY so I decided to build a pistol lower. Nothing stupid light but my DD MK18 upper is a real pig. My Noveske 300BLK upper was an option but where's the fun in not building a new gun?

Ggreen, I'm signed up for the Legion & trying to get into the Zombie run (not available to register yet). All these are in Kentucky:
    Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun
    The Run for Your Life Zombie 10k Run N Gun (https://www.facebook.com/events/555941334757913/)
    Rockcastle Run N Gun (no info published yet)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I like that HG Ggreen. I think I'll give it a try! ORDERED!

I'm happy with my Faxon 18" too but I can't find an ~11.5" in stock anywhere.

I found this BCM barrel & it's actually in stock! ORDERED + low pro gas block:
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM...HANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-11-elwf-std.htm

This is the barrel I have on my 11.5" pistol build. I ordered it as part of a complete upper with an M-lok handguard which I am sure is heavier than the carbon fiber one you will be using.

Lightweight wasn't my primary concern, but I do like the barrel so far. I haven't really put it through it's paces yet though.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have the faxon 416R 16" pencil profile and really like. Have midwest industries 2 port brake on that rifle and it shoots super flat. Really good brake for the cost. I have a love affair with SLR mlok handguards. Specifically the Ion lites

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Faxon and Ballistic Advantage have both provided me with excellent lightweight barrels. I think I prefer the Faxons, but my 6.5 Ballistic Advantage shoots lights out.

I’m a huge fan of Brigand Arms Edge handguards. Crazy lightweight, and not too aggressive on the hand for extended shooting like some of my aluminum ones.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have everything and have done a test fit. It's all good. Time to torque things down and post some pics with the final weight. If only I could find my stupid lb/inch torque wrench!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The only thing I didn't care for on the hand guard was manually leveling it with the upper. I put lock tight on everything and torqued it all together. One change I hadn't mentioned was swapping in a B.A.D. Ti front gas block for the heavier BCM. Now I'm wondering if I should have got the Battle Comp Ti muzzle brake.

I have an SBR lower and a pistol lower. I guess I could run with either. I haven't weighed those yet.
    Assembled upper weights below. Inclusing BCG, CH & QD sling mount.
    3# 7.6oz = BCM 11.5" / Holosun (not going to use buis)
    5# 8.3oz = Colt 14.5" (welded BC1.5) / ACOG (ran with this non-NFA rifle upper last time)
    5# 10.1oz = DD MK18 10.3" / Vortex PST 1-4x
    4# 0.1oz = Noveske 8" 300BLK / Vortex Spitfire 1x

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Pics...
    bc54f6c15f514e306a2fd8afee219652.jpg
    74e50fbf3129fd2faa10669d3ad7f5d3.jpg
    3a4a66bbbb075bf3a8b860287e141730.jpg
    d45cfc1b5b91e1e673f8503e3c068957.jpg
    a926f9b43e130aeb303b82a13cf756df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow! The owner of Battle Comp Enterprises got me a deal on a BC 1.0. This thing will be getting a touch lighter! The Precision Armament M4-72 brake is supposed to work very well but is a real pig.

Top Bottom