• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    have a project or two kicking around in my tiny little brain.

Where's the best place to look (either online or within Indiana) for Ruger 10/22 takedown models?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll keep checking BigR and with Rural King. I get RK's gun sales emails. Guess I should read them.

I let my 7.5 year old (gigantic) daughter handle one at the RK last night. Still a big rifle for her.

Thought about making one of them either Christmas or 8th Bday gift.

Even the Marlin model 60 was too big.

But - she'll grow!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yeah - I think my best course of action, should I go the 10/22 route (Compact, standard, or TD) is to just pay attention to Rural King's adds and find a sale.

My project involves getting a rifle for my children. 2 kids. 2 guns. But do they get them on a "milestone" birthday or just pick a BD or Christmas and gift.

The standard 10/22 is still too big for my 7 year old girl - and she's as big as 50% of the nation's 10 year olds. A stock modification or replacement can accommodate that - but then I may be $500 into a $250 rifle. And while I don't mind that necessarily - driving the cost up at the outset is a bit daunting. And I think the 10/22 platform will allow them to grow / change / morph the rifle along with them as they grow. Can't do much of that with other guns.

And then there's the OTHER smaller .22 rifles from the other manufacturers. Both bolt and semi-auto. The little Savage 64 may honestly be a better choice while they're young. I do have an older Crickett single-shot .22 in the house. But that sucker is so small and the peep sights are such that *I* can barely shoot it. With my glasses, I can't see the sights. Should just probably get a cheap red dot for it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What about something like the Magpil Hunter stock that has inserts for changing the length? It’ll add some cost to the rifle, but you can tailor it to the needed size as they grow.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    how about a stock like this
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...-pull-rifle-stock-ruger-10-22-synthetic-black on a standard 10/22?

with the 6 position stock, it can grow with your daughter till she can use the factory stock, and the Blackhawk stock is pretty light so with the factory tapered barrel it shouldn't be hard for her to hold

i know a guy with the Blackhawk stock and a tac sol aluminum bull barrel, and if you closed your eyes, and he handed the rifle to you, you would think its a cricket or savage rascal! that's how light the gun is!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's something that's also been on my mind. $140 MSRP

It certainaly adds some cost to the endeavor, but I can that I really like mine. A quality polymer that doesn’t feel cheap, which is a lot from me as I much prefer a good piece of walnut or maple.

I havent totaled up a cheap build, yet but would that be possible? Adjustable stock, BX trigger group, maybe a take off barrel from someone else. The receiver may be the hard part for cost.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    how about a stock like this
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...-pull-rifle-stock-ruger-10-22-synthetic-black on a standard 10/22?

with the 6 position stock, it can grow with your daughter till she can use the factory stock, and the Blackhawk stock is pretty light so with the factory tapered barrel it shouldn't be hard for her to hold

i know a guy with the Blackhawk stock and a tac sol aluminum bull barrel, and if you closed your eyes, and he handed the rifle to you, you would think its a cricket or savage rascal! that's how light the gun is!

I'd forgotten that they made a stock! I just recently re-remembered that Tapco makes a similar 10/22 stock, too.

It certainaly adds some cost to the endeavor, but I can that I really like mine. A quality polymer that doesn’t feel cheap, which is a lot from me as I much prefer a good piece of walnut or maple.

I havent totaled up a cheap build, yet but would that be possible? Adjustable stock, BX trigger group, maybe a take off barrel from someone else. The receiver may be the hard part for cost.

I've thought about doing builds piece-meal but that's often times still more expensive than buying one - even if you're just buying someone else factory take-off parts. Brownells sells barreled receivers for $150. $35 more for the bolt. Doesn't sound like it'd be *that* much more to build one. I may have to research this some more!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know when I looked into builds I was looking for top end items (Kidd, TacSol, etc.), but I didn’t pay much attention to the lower end. I wasn’t sure where the prices were for the basics.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So from Brownell's site, a railed barreled receiver with a 16' standard barrel, a bolt, a BX trigger group, and a $9 cocking handle comes out to $260. I'm sure then there'd be shipping + a transfer fee for the receiver. +$70 on the Axiom stock or $80 for the Ruger Youth stock.

It'd be cheaper to buy a Ruger youth or compact model.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So from Brownell's site, a railed barreled receiver with a 16' standard barrel, a bolt, a BX trigger group, and a $9 cocking handle comes out to $260. I'm sure then there'd be shipping + a transfer fee for the receiver. +$70 on the Axiom stock or $80 for the Ruger Youth stock.

Is there a concern of outgrowing the stock? If not, the compacts are probably the best route.

If there is a concern of outgrowing it, that’s the cost difference between building one with an adjustable stock and buying a compact and replacing the stock down the road?

It’s a numbers game that doesn’t really have one right answer. There are several right answers depending on what is needed now, what is wanted now and what could be a delayed cost. I like number games. Lol

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

check ebay for the "parts"
    they have barrels factory tapered for 35.00
    trigger groups for 40.00
    bolt and charging handle 40 bucks

or
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-10-2...w=10/22+bolt&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

with the link above, all you'll need is a buffer! and the but it now price is 86.00, after that add the receiver(90.00),barrel (35.00) and stock(80.00) and boom she's ready! (yes its 260.00, but you can assemble it with her, she can get an understanding of how it works, and she gets to build her gun with daddy!)

unless you're wanting to build her a tack driver, pretty much all the parts you want are the parts most people sell on ebay (because they are stripping those parts off to build tack drivers!)

Top Bottom