• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have the last rifle from my sister in laws husbands collection to sell for her but I never really had much interest in 98's. The overall condition is pretty good, most of the bluing is gone though but the stock's not too bad/metal looks okay. The receiver is 'dot' (BRNO mfg) marked and stamped 1944. It has a four digit serial number. It looks like the nazi marking have been filed off. Most numbers match except the bolt handle and magazine base plate. Cursory look at the bore seems pretty good. A little rust but looks surface i'll try to clean that off. I don't see any stock cuts or import markings but i'm not exactly sure what those would be if they are not obvious? What's the value range on these things?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Sounds like a Czech made rifle after Germany annexed Czechoslovakia. It could also be a post war rifle made in the BRNO factory with left over K98 parts. It's not exactly rare or valuable except to collectors but they are well made rifles and good shooters. Checkout Gunbroker for current prices. This link will give you a little background on how this rifle evolved into what it is.

https://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=159-1945-1950-Post-War-Czech-K98k-(Karabiner-98)-Rifle

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I would guess that your mauser might be worth $300 to $400 dollars, with the non-matching parts you mentioned, and the markings filed off.

It sounds like a rifle that was used in an Eastern European country after World War II.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sounds like a Czech made rifle after Germany annexed Czechoslovakia. It could also be a post war rifle made in the BRNO factory with left over K98 parts. It's not exactly rare or valuable except to collectors but they are well made rifles and good shooters. Checkout Gunbroker for current prices. This link will give you a little background on how this rifle evolved into what it is.

https://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=159-1945-1950-Post-War-Czech-K98k-(Karabiner-98)-Rifle

Thanks, good link, it looks like it is not a post-war build then.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    It was built in 1944 during the war but since the Nazi tweety birds have been sanded or peened off it sounds like it saw use after the war in the East Com-Bloc area. It might even be a Russian Capture. Check near the muzzle for import marks or near the rear sight.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Had one just liked you described. Took it to a military shoot had a lot of guys put it down because it wasn't numbers matching. But a dealer gave me 400.00 no questions. I'm sure he knew what he was buying.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Prices on Russian captures have gone up over the past couple of years.
    I would say your rifle would be more in the $400 to $500 dollar range, Milsurps are one of those areas where a lot of different things make a difference.
    A hard market to know unless you have a real interest in world history and weapons of war from other countries.
    Best of luck on it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep, the prices even on yesterdays throwaways are getting to be jaw droppers.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The description sounds like one of the K98s imported from Romania in the early 2000s or so. They usually had some matching numbers but Nazi markings were usually heavily and aggressively defaced. They also were not refinished and had little blueing left.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Sure is a shame the waffenampts have been obliterated. K-98's have really increased in value lately. A matching numbers K-98 on Gunbroker will bring $1000 or more.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a Spanish one I bought for fifty bucks. It was rough and I cleaned it up. I easily off loaded it after shooting the death out of it for $250. That was a few years ago. Prices only go up. I would say the filed off proof Mark's and non matching numbers kills it along with a rusty bore. Still some bloke looking to get into collecting would part with three bills or trade you a nicer gun.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    It would make a good rifle for a WW2 military re-enactor who wanted a period correct rifle and was just going to shoot blanks out of it. Take it to any military show and I don't think you would have any trouble getting rid of it.

Top Bottom