• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I’m building a dedicated .22lr upper for plinking and introducing guns to others. Right now I’ve got all the parts on order, but haven’t decided on mags. Anyone have a preference between CMMG mags, or S&W 15-22 mags with an adapter?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have used CMMG mags with no problems in a multi cal. lower with a dedicated .22 upper. I would think using S&W mags with an adapter would introduce more chances for problems. The CMMG mags are cheap relatively and available. I have gotten them on sale from 44mag.com and other places.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Another CMMG user here. I’ve used them with no issues in my SBR lower with 22lr conversion kit as well as a polymer lower/22lr upper combination.

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have used CMMG mags with no problems in a multi cal. lower with a dedicated .22 upper. I would think using S&W mags with an adapter would introduce more chances for problems. The CMMG mags are cheap relatively and available. I have gotten them on sale from 44mag.com and other places.

That was kind of my impression too. The big thing with the “Better Mag” adapter is that it is advertised as providing full functionality with your installed bolt catch that you don’t normally have with the CMMG mags in my understanding. Would be nice to have it all be as close as possible to the functionality of my multi lower with 5.56 upper just so I don’t learn any weird habits. I’ll probably just go with the CMMG mags though, if nothing else just to making swapping calibers as easy as an upper swap.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have had no issues with the Black Dog Machine mags. I have ran them in conversions and dedicated uppers without fail. Something cool about a suppressed ar with a drum magazine shooting 22s...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have had no issues with the Black Dog Machine mags. I have ran them in conversions and dedicated uppers without fail. Something cool about a suppressed ar with a drum magazine shooting 22s...

And yet I, and many others, have.

They don't FIT the effin' LOWER unless I either grind them, or hammer them in/out with a mallet.

The lower is as "spec" as it gets: CMT "Stag" house brand, same as makes Colt, Rock River, Noveske, and I am sure other major brand's lowers.

-Nate

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    And yet I, and many others, have.

They don't FIT the effin' LOWER unless I either grind them, or hammer them in/out with a mallet.

The lower is as "spec" as it gets: CMT "Stag" house brand, same as makes Colt, Rock River, Noveske, and I am sure other major brand's lowers.

-Nate

It looks like there are two generations of black dog mags; one screwed together, and one ultrasonic welded. Which did you have fitment issues with?

What manufacturer do you suggest?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have Black Dogs. One of my two smoke/translucent 15 rounders has shattered at the feed lips. I have read that the translucent ones are problematic like this.

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have Black Dogs. One of my two smoke/translucent 15 rounders has shattered at the feed lips. I have read that the translucent ones are problematic like this.

Is this with all plastic feed lips, or did you see this in the steel feed lip version where it joins the plastic?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is this with all plastic feed lips, or did you see this in the steel feed lip version where it joins the plastic?

Mine must be really old. None have metal feed lips. :dunno:

Here is a pic of the twin of the one that shattered:

TqrHSXS.jpg

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Got the Black Dog magazines in today. I was fairly impressed with the quality and feel of the plastic of the mag body. They seem really sturdy. Unfortunately, all 3 mags had surface rust on the feed lips! The pictures below show the worst one. Likely will end up returning these, or at least exchanging.

1CCEE487-E6F8-481F-A8EA-3B89E3FC1468.jpg
    9F2885ED-44FC-45CD-B53C-E70CBE08F508.jpg

Top Bottom