• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    Sorry this is a noob question, but why are so many people buying up stripped ar lowers? The obvious answer is that they are building an ar with them but this presents another noob question... why do people build ar15s with cheap parts, then try to sell them for premium prices? With the trump slump and falling gun prices one can buy a good out-of-the-box rifle from a good manufacturer for $475-800. Why continue to pursue the build your own ar method if they dont hold true value over say a colt or bcm? No offense intended just a serious question that my local friends cannot answer, thank you.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Hardly anyone I know keeps a factory built gun as it came out of the box. I'm not gonna spend $500 just to turn around and take off parts that I'm not gonna use. I generally want specific handguards, triggers, adjustable gas blocks, suppressor mounts, charging handles and stocks.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hardly anyone I know keeps a factory built gun as it came out of the box. I'm not gonna spend $500 just to turn around and take off parts that I'm not gonna use. I generally want specific handguards, triggers, adjustable gas blocks, suppressor mounts, charging handles and stocks.

This^ Why buy new when you can build to your specs/wants/needs?
    Plus i enjoy building them

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    There's a butt for every seat. Really though, I don't understand why some people consider a Colt worth a premium.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    Good points, building an ar does seem the way to go, especially if you are going to change out all the furniture, charging handle etc.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    I think colt has its niche, I mean better than many cheap ar15s but not as good as many. I would not pay premium price for one and am happy to see the price fall from $1000+, I would buy one but not for high price

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    As mentioned, I build so I can get the parts I want. Usually will want to change out handguard, safety, charging handle, trigger at a minimum. I don’t even buy complete lower parts kits anymore. I hate having random parts laying around. They tend to grow into rifles if left alone...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    As mentioned, I build so I can get the parts I want. Usually will want to change out handguard, safety, charging handle, trigger at a minimum. I don’t even buy complete lower parts kits anymore. I hate having random parts laying around. They tend to grow into rifles if left alone...

I really like the seekins lpk's if i'm building for a fun gun, if i'm putting together a milspec I am always between bravo and cmmg premium lpks. I don't mess with the discount sets anymore. I do have a growing number of safeties in a Ziploc bag tho lol.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Sorry this is a noob question, but why are so many people buying up stripped ar lowers? The obvious answer is that they are building an ar with them but this presents another noob question... why do people build ar15s with cheap parts, then try to sell them for premium prices? With the trump slump and falling gun prices one can buy a good out-of-the-box rifle from a good manufacturer for $475-800. Why continue to pursue the build your own ar method if they dont hold true value over say a colt or bcm? No offense intended just a serious question that my local friends cannot answer, thank you.

There are actually only a handful of manufacturers that dont hold their value. I see very few people attempting to get top dollar for an inexpensive build. I do see people asking nearly what they paid and I see people paying those prices.

Really... to be frank with you, from a guy who has been building AR15s since the early 90s... the people asking too much have always been the guys who bought top of the line gear (tier 1...hahaha) and they can ask even more for that gear when they sell it used.

I see guys selling $1000 Colts for $1200, I see guys selling $900 BCMs for $1200, why? Because "its out of stock RIGHT NOW". I dont see as many guys selling $600 PSA rifles for $800. For the most part, they are selling the cheap PSA Rifles for basically what they paid. Sure these guys are the ones who dont realize they cant sell that gun for retail prices, but eventually they come down in price on a OBO sale or they keep the gun.

Another thing to keep in mind... their sale their price. If I am selling my $500 PSA kit gun for $600 and you ask why. I am going to tell you my work to assemble that kit into a firearm cost money. As long as I dont make a habit of it the ATF isnt going to require a License from me. Of course at some point the ATF will step in if I am buying kits and selling firearms.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Another thing to keep in mind... their sale their price. If I am selling my $500 PSA kit gun for $600 and you ask why. I am going to tell you my work to assemble that kit into a firearm cost money. As long as I dont make a habit of it the ATF isnt going to require a License from me. Of course at some point the ATF will step in if I am buying kits and selling firearms.

Unless you could back up your building ability with documented proof of specialized armorer training, your "labor" is worth about 0.00 dollars to me or any experienced ar user. 15 minutes on youtube and basic handtools anyone can "build" an ar. They are less advanced than some lego kits. There are a few cases of specialized handguards or other items that must be hand fit, but I can think of maybe 2 out there like this. Anyone paying more than kit price for a kit gun is a sucker. Most of the time you can go directly to psa and get assembled guns for the same price as the kit, maybe 40 dollars over.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Unless you could back up your building ability with documented proof of specialized armorer training, your "labor" is worth about 0.00 dollars to me or any experienced ar user. 15 minutes on youtube and basic handtools anyone can "build" an ar. They are less advanced than some lego kits. There are a few cases of specialized handguards or other items that must be hand fit, but I can think of maybe 2 out there like this. Anyone paying more than kit price for a kit gun is a sucker. Most of the time you can go directly to psa and get assembled guns for the same price as the kit, maybe 40 dollars over.

No disrespect, but I dont care if you clear my table or empty my trash... It doesnt matter that I "could have" done it... you did it so I would pay for that labor. If you have a problem paying for someone's labor... thats your deal not mine.

My sale, My price. Dont like it, dont buy it No one but a LIBERAL demands free service.

And again, asking for some unheard of degree for emptying trash, hanging a picture or assembling a lego gun is simply a fools folly to try and get something for free...really man. The fact that assembling an AR is so easy doesnt mean you can't charge for it or that you dont HAVE to pay for it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No disrespect, but I dont care if you clear my table or empty my trash... It doesnt matter that I "could have" done it... you did it so I would pay for that labor. If you have a problem paying for someone's labor... thats your deal not mine.

My sale, My price. Dont like it, dont buy it No one but a LIBERAL demands free service.

And again, asking for some unheard of degree for emptying trash, hanging a picture or assembling a lego gun is simply a fools folly to try and get something for free...really man. The fact that assembling an AR is so easy doesnt mean you can't charge for it or that you dont HAVE to pay for it.
    Ggreen is spot on, most knowledgeable AR users aren’t going to pay extra for bubbas labor to assemble an AR. IF I buy a “home build”, I buy it on the cheap, because it goes home and onto the bench to un**** everything bubba mayhave done to it. Far too many WECSOG builders out there, so if you don’t have some sort of pedigree to back a build, I’m not paying for labor either.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Everybody has their own game plan for success. Some people want the cheapest crap they can get, some want quality. If you buy, or build cheap crap, there are hundreds, if not thousands of threads right here on INGO to help you make it work, when they fail. I guess some people like the challenge. That's cool.

The often used phase is, "Buy once, cry once." It's not wrong. You don't have to get the best, but it is advisable to the get the best you can afford. You might not ever sell it, but some day, somebody will. Some guns go up in value, most do not. YMMV

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I'm a total capitalist. As someone who has been a mechanic in a small shop for a number of years and doing aircraft restoration on the side, I also know that the only labor that you get paid for is the labor you get contracted to do. I'd also never pay a non certified armorer to assemble my lego 15. No hate, do what you do, but having been very active in the local ar market for a few years, the guys asking more than the sum of the parts sit on them and clutter up the front page every 5 days with another bump. There is one guy that has been bumping the same build for a year and a half trying to charge more than the sum of the parts. Heck even a notable gunsmith on here sells his builds for a loss, I have one :D (capitalist). there was nothing I had to go in and fix, nuts were staked, and the pins were driven without messing up the cerakote, and still i'm positive he took a hit on it. Charge what you charge, and hope for a sucker, there is one born everyday.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I build in order to get a specific outcome. Lately I have been chasing 6.5 Grendel, and lightweight rifles. If I could buy what I wanted assembled for the same price, I would do so. Since I can’t, I’ll build it.

As for the guys selling for exorbitant prices, I think there was a brief period (around election time, iirc) where a guy could buy parts, build the rifle, and sell it for double. While that window is long gone, there are plenty of guys still chasing the dream.

Top Bottom