• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering if you were looking for Lever Gun Made in the US similar to a Henry 22lr with an octagon barrel, what would be on your short list? Which caliber would you choose for the fun factor?

Thanks

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The Henry center fire guns are all good that I've seen.
    I been kinda looking, seems like the finish on the wood on the Henry is hard to beat. I really enjoy our 22 Henry. Was kind of thinking it would be handy for varmints, I almost wonder if a 17 hmr would fit the bill?. Lately I have been seeing a lot of Foxes out back, and it's got me a bit concerned.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    If you're looking for a "cowboy" gun, the only one made in the USA that has links back in western history is Marlin. The .38/.357 is the cheapest to reload for. New Winchesters are made in Japan. Rossi is made in Brazil (I think). Uberti, Cimarron Firearms, Taylor and Company, and all the rest are made in Italy. The Henry Big Boy is made in the USA, but they are only a "cowboy-like" gun and are not an actual remake of anything in history. The Winchester, Rossi, and Uberti sub-brands are all replicas of the original Winchesters and some parts even interchange.
    I personally have an HRA Henry 1860 in .45 Colt, a Winchester '73 in .38/.357/ and a Rossi (Puma) in .45 Colt. All have octagon barrels. All are fun to shoot but all require reloading to make it cheaper. I also compete in cowboy action shooting, which is a hoot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll say this for the Henry in 45 Colt. It put a 325 grain cast lead bullet through a deer lengthwise at 40 yards. I think you could hunt just about anything at short ranges with that rifle.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If you're looking for a "cowboy" gun, the only one made in the USA that has links back in western history is Marlin. The .38/.357 is the cheapest to reload for. New Winchesters are made in Japan. Rossi is made in Brazil (I think). Uberti, Cimarron Firearms, Taylor and Company, and all the rest are made in Italy. The Henry Big Boy is made in the USA, but they are only a "cowboy-like" gun and are not an actual remake of anything in history. The Winchester, Rossi, and Uberti sub-brands are all replicas of the original Winchesters and some parts even interchange.
    I personally have an HRA Henry 1860 in .45 Colt, a Winchester '73 in .38/.357/ and a Rossi (Puma) in .45 Colt. All have octagon barrels. All are fun to shoot but all require reloading to make it cheaper. I also compete in cowboy action shooting, which is a hoot.
    Honestly I just like lever actions in general. Most likely i don't see myself getting into re loading. I would like something handy yet affordable and fun to shoot, and capable for pest control.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have the Henry Big Boy in 357 and on my short list will be Henry 22 H001TLP (octagon with the Skinner Sight). On my long list is a Marlin or Rossi 357 Lever.

I love the 38/357 round in the lever.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'll say this for the Henry in 45 Colt. It put a 325 grain cast lead bullet through a deer lengthwise at 40 yards. I think you could hunt just about anything at short ranges with that rifle.
    Wonder if that would be too much for foxes and coyote? Most times when I see them they are around 50 to 100 yards out.
    Thanks

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Wonder if that would be too much for foxes and coyote? Most times when I see them they are around 50 to 100 yards out.
    Thanks

You might be impressed with the CCI Quick Shock 22LR on coyotes out to 100 yards. A highly effective bullet for defending your chickens out of any 22 rifle. This bullet will flat blow up a fox and render the pelt of a Fox totally unusable.

I am not sure what you mean by "fun factor". Are you into killing animals for fun? I guess I am not sure what your goal is. The 12 gauge is far more useful for barnyard defense IMO. Unless you are into killing animals that are just trying to survive and happen to wander nearby you.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have a Marlin 1894 that is fun, but I think the 1896 in 357 / 38 would be a better choice. I chose the 44 at the time because I had a 629 44 Mag revolver and already had lots of brass I reloaded for it. Many match the pistol caliber rifle to the revolver they shoot. I also have a 686 357 magnum revolver that I like shooting more than the 629 44 magnum revolver. I do like the Marlins, but I am sure other models are fine too. Amazing how quiet the round sounds out of a lever action from behind when you are use to the muzzle blast coming from the shorter barrel revolver. I am sure some leaking out of the cylinder is part of the noise too, but it is almost pleasant to hear it coming out of the rifle. The fast burning pistol powder likely burns up long before the bullet clears the muzzle on the rifle.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You might be impressed with the CCI Quick Shock 22LR on coyotes out to 100 yards. A highly effective bullet for defending your chickens out of any 22 rifle. This bullet will flat blow up a fox and render the pelt of a Fox totally unusable.

I am not sure what you mean by "fun factor". Are you into killing animals for fun? I guess I am not sure what your goal is. The 12 gauge is far more useful for barnyard defense IMO. Unless you are into killing animals that are just trying to survive and happen to wander nearby you.
    "fun factor" Loose term generally associated with recreational activity, Hitting the center of a business card from 200 feet, Knocking tin cans off a fence post, (Fence post is situated in front of a 8x15x30 berm, a little over 8 feet tall, 15 feet deep, by 30 feet across)

Are you into killing animals for fun? I try to keep our back forty kept up, meaning it is fenced with 5 strand barb wire, with two strands of hot wire high and low. (before you ask no the fence is not there to entrap animals that just happen by, nor is it the Electric fence there to electrocute them, the purpose of the fence is to discourage unwanted animals from using the open area as an egress to our livestock, the fence also helps to deter trespassers from using the area to drink and leave a pile of discarded beer cans an bottles in the field) As the we routinely brush hog and mow the area it is not knee high and brush and animals do in fact take the easy route as trail cams seam to suggest.

The 12 gauge is far more useful for barnyard defense IMO. Unless you are into killing animals that are just trying to survive and happen to wander nearby you.[/QUOTE] In order for the animals to quote "Wander nearby" it is going to have to get through the fence and travel a considerable distance, by the time animal gets near our livestock they are not there for a friendly visit. So yeah I do keep an eye on things and when I start to see predators on a regular basis on our property I do wonder why.

To further illustrate my point...Over at Sloughfoots' place a few members of MS 13 or the like decide to start loitering in front of your house for a few days. next they decide Slougfoot has a nice place here you know it's centrally located, it provides a nice hub to hang out at after a hard day of criminal activity, it provides an easy commute. So now they decide why just hang out in front why not just take up residence inside? You know Sloughfoots' is fully stocked with food etc, are you going to ask them to leave just because they happen to be in your place? They are just trying to survive!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks

45 Colt is more of a reloader's cartridge these days as common factory ammo limits it's performance. I think those Henrys are also available in 44 mag which will give you more off the shelf retail choices in ammo. The 44 mag performs very well out of my old Marlin during deer season when I see coyotes disrupting my hunt.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Just wondering if you were looking for Lever Gun Made in the US similar to a Henry 22lr with an octagon barrel, what would be on your short list? Which caliber would you choose for the fun factor?

Thanks

I picked up a Henry Big Boy Silver last year in 357. It is a HEAVY beast of a rifle compared to my Marlin 357 but I always get compliments on it at the range. The accuracy is quite good and the recoil is very mild to say the least. The only issue I have is heavy copper fouling. I sent it back to Henry and they replaced the barrel but the new barrel still fouls though not as bad as the original.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I picked up a Henry Big Boy Silver last year in 357. It is a HEAVY beast of a rifle compared to my Marlin 357 but I always get compliments on it at the range. The accuracy is quite good and the recoil is very mild to say the least. The only issue I have is heavy copper fouling. I sent it back to Henry and they replaced the barrel but the new barrel still fouls though not as bad as the original.

ok since I do not know I am going to ask, others can feel free to flame away. Copper fouling, meaning residue left in barrel? would that be caused by the barrel not having enough of an opening? I do not reload so cost if kind of a consideration, but from what I have seen 17 hmr can be pricey

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I love the Marlin 357 that I traded for this year. It has some recoil, but is very manageable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another or maybe one in 44Mag.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    ok since I do not know I am going to ask, others can feel free to flame away. Copper fouling, meaning residue left in barrel? would that be caused by the barrel not having enough of an opening? I do not reload so cost if kind of a consideration, but from what I have seen 17 hmr can be pricey

Copper fouling due to a rough bore. As to cost of shooting the 17 HMR will still be far less than any centerfire lever action ammo.

Top Bottom