• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I am looking for a good 9mm carbine to use for multiple things. USPSA, home defense, and a simi auto for a friends sub gun match.
    Anyone have a recommendation for one that works well and is reliable?
    Thanks
    100X

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been pretty happy with my PSA 9mm pistol.
    Don't see why a rifle would be much different.
    I used the PSA dedicated 9mm lower with the Colt pattern magazine well, and one of their complete uppers.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I like both my hi point and sub2000. Both have been real good shooters with no issues and accuracy is great. HiPoint is nice with the recoil absorbing stock. The sub2000 definitely has some kick and i believe it has more to do with the narrow stock digging into the shoulder than anything else.
    Of course the Hipoint can be had under $300 new and around $200 used, and probably the best warranty in the buisness, so I've heard. Sub2000 around $400 new and $300-350 used.
    I use a bushnell trs25 on both and has been very reliable on both. Use it on my 45 hipoint carbine as well with equal results.

Only drawback to the hipoint carbines is capacity. Promag makes extended mags, but with promag reliability suffers, at least in my experience. Stick with Genuine Hipoint mags and zero problems

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Since you say uspsa, I'd say away from hipoint, kriss, sub2k, and cheaper ar9s. All of them are notorious for reliability issues in a match. Mpx, nice higher end ar9 and on the cheap end a beretta cx4 would be the only three I'd consider based on what I've seen at matches.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    To date my ATI Mil-Sport AR9 has given me no problems. I had run fine with the factory 33 round Glock magazines. It even made it through a USPSA match with no hiccups. I would plan on replacing the grip and trigger. Plus you will need a decent optic.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How do you wish to spend. There are so many.

I am fond of my Tavor B17 with its integrated ZRX suppressor. It is far from inexpensive though.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm crushing on my Wilson Combat AR9. Recently started carrying a Glock 19 (after carrying M&P for years) and I like the ability to just stock up on Glock mags and use them in both platforms. Shot the AR9 in a tactical rifle class today and it ran like a champ.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Since you say uspsa, I'd say away from hipoint, kriss, sub2k, and cheaper ar9s. All of them are notorious for reliability issues in a match. Mpx, nice higher end ar9 and on the cheap end a beretta cx4 would be the only three I'd consider based on what I've seen at matches.

I'd say most of those AR9 problems at matches are due to improper feed cone geometry, fancy triggers whose hammers aren't profiled correctly with the corresponding BCG, or incorrect reciprocating BCG and buffer weight

hans1911

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    I owned a Beretta CX4 for several years. Never had a single issue. Quite fun to shoot with factory 20 rounders.

My my good friend has a CZ Scorpion. One is definitely on my short list. The only thing I didn’t care for was the ambi safety interferes with your grip. He has ordered an aftermarket safety which sits in a different position. Mags are inexpensive as well.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    for those running a PCC for USPSA and steel challenge, any recommendations on a compensator that actually works?

i had the opportunity to test fire a new ruger PCC last week, the muzzle rise was a little more than i expected, or would want, especially for shooting steel. i suppose ammo selection would make a huge difference as well.

:cheers:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    for those running a PCC for USPSA and steel challenge, any recommendations on a compensator that actually works?

i had the opportunity to test fire a new ruger PCC last week, the muzzle rise was a little more than i expected, or would want, especially for shooting steel. i suppose ammo selection would make a huge difference as well.

I have an at stoner break that was cheap and works surprisingly well. I don't think they are making them anymore, but it's a pretty generic design. Got mine off of their clearance page. I have not shot the ruger, is the rise due to it being lighter than say an ar9 or because the limited reach on the foregrip? My beretta cx4 seems pretty docile without a grip but the design of the cx4 basically has you wearing it rather than just shouldering it. the ar9 is even more docile with the comp and being able to run a handguard out to the end of the barrel that extends your fore hand grip out, which seems to keep the rise in check

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I have an at stoner break that was cheap and works surprisingly well. I don't think they are making them anymore, but it's a pretty generic design. Got mine off of their clearance page. I have not shot the ruger, is the rise due to it being lighter than say an ar9 or because the limited reach on the foregrip? My beretta cx4 seems pretty docile without a grip but the design of the cx4 basically has you wearing it rather than just shouldering it. the ar9 is even more docile with the comp and being able to run a handguard out to the end of the barrel that extends your fore hand grip out, which seems to keep the rise in check

Everything you mentioned is probably a factor in muzzle rise.
    Most of the long guns I've ever shot were more of a traditional design. None had an extended fore end. I'm sorta set in my ways, for me even the rail on my mossberg 715t feels so un natural

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think grip makes a pretty dramatic difference. I shoot PCCI with my beretta cx4 and a little uspsa with a red dot(uspsa puts irons and optics in the same category). When I was just shooting Steel Challenge I removed the rail completely so that I could put my thumb over the top without interfering with the irons, I went from last place in pcc to second in two weeks by moving into a thumb over grip, when I decided to use it in uspsa I cut the top rail down to the rear two lugs so that I could still keep the thumb over grip. The CX4 is not threaded so muzzle rise can only really be controlled by grip, unless I want to track down the tooling to remove the barrel and finish 922r compliance. When it comes to ammo I've seen way to many malfunctions from people running "Competition" loads i.e. light powder to control rise. This may work in a highly customized carbine with a specialized load, but factory carbines are generally designed to handle factory loads. So I keep to known good factory loads and have yet to see a malfunction (other than me dropping mags left and right shooting off hand from my palm hitting the extended mag release)

Steel challenge is all about fun. In one year of shooting competitively and roughly 5 steel challenges I'm classified a solid b in PCCI. I've shot majors with Mike Foley and I've shot outlaw local matches with 20 people, if you are there to have fun you will have fun no matter what equipment you bring, if your seeking high classifications you'll probably want to follow the steps of the grandmasters and go with the tube handguard and an extended grip. I'd like to be an A next year so my equipment is evolving to make that happen. I'm sure there are some talented shooters that could shoot master with a cx4, but not this guy. The ar9's and mpx's are just faster easier and I had a little bit of disposable income to invest in one so.

Top Bottom