• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well, after my trip to Gettysburg in June, I had a hanker'n for a period rifle. Sadly, most of them are out of my price range. I looked and looked and finally found a Springfield M1842 .69 caliber smooth bore musket built in 1854, that I could afford. Found it on Gunboards as a private sale. Just got in in the mail yesterday and had a chance to take some pics this morning. Really looking forward to shooting it, learning about firing and care of a muzzle loader. Love holding a piece of history in my hands. If it could talk. It's in decent shape for a firearm that is 164 years old.

S78mjSQ.jpg

4FpcBDI.jpg

Xk0uygn.jpg

kkRPsu1.jpg

ss1VMhn.jpg

eN33LYG.jpg

Jd6RekW.jpg

W7QF6y1.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    Use Swiss or Goex, keep the charges MILD and period-appropriate, and CLEAN the rifle before you eat dinner in the evening.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice rifle Denny, older firearms always have stories, it's one of the extras that come with them.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    musket010.jpg
    musket008.jpg
    musket015.jpg
    Here's my 1840 conversion...Just holding it in my hands makes my heart pound...I keep it down here at the shop for kid's to hold...When I was a kid and went to Gettysburg I didn't like that you couldn't hold the muskets...I vowed one day I would have a museum/shop where kid's could...

And here I am...

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Both are awesome rifles and an actual piece of American history. Congrats to both of you. :patriot:

If I owned one I would probably ruin it just by drooling all over it. :D

Yes, I am a little jealous! I had the same desire to own one after visiting Gettysburg a few years ago. It never happened though. Again, congrats to you both. :yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Oct 3, 2012
    Go visit Indiucky's museum...err, shop. I see he's already been drawn to this thread like a fat kid to a dessert tray. Take your gun and let it visit it's old pals and frenemies.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    musket010.jpg
    musket008.jpg
    musket015.jpg
    Here's my 1840 conversion...Just holding it in my hands makes my heart pound...I keep it down here at the shop for kid's to hold...When I was a kid and went to Gettysburg I didn't like that you couldn't hold the muskets...I vowed one day I would have a museum/shop where kid's could...

And here I am...
    Very very cool

rob63

Master
    May 9, 2013
    Very nice, even has the correct bayonet! It looks like the nipple has been replaced at some point, but that is actually probably a good thing for shooting. I'm guessing the previous owner was likely a reenactor considering the sling and tompion, probably fired blank loads in it and needed a working nipple. Everything else looks good, and I really like that it wasn't all shined up bright! JMHO, but old guns should look old. I have a nipple wrench you can borrow if you want to remove the nipple to inspect. I took a photo of mine a while back with a period photo of a soldier holding a Model 1842.

R8neqsw.jpg

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Welcome to the obsession...
    Next you will need a cartridge box,
    Then a period bullet mold,
    Then a pistol will follow you home...

Don't even look at brass frames, that's another obsession... ;)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Very nice, even has the correct bayonet! It looks like the nipple has been replaced at some point, but that is actually probably a good thing for shooting. I'm guessing the previous owner was likely a reenactor considering the sling and tompion, probably fired blank loads in it and needed a working nipple. Everything else looks good, and I really like that it wasn't all shined up bright! JMHO, but old guns should look old. I have a nipple wrench you can borrow if you want to remove the nipple to inspect. I took a photo of mine a while back with a period photo of a soldier holding a Model 1842.

R8neqsw.jpg

Very cool. I'll keep it in mind.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Also, not sure about the reenacting but he told me he used it in N-SSA smoothbore competition. I love the unmessed with guns. Not a fn of the prettied up ones. Not really sure what to inspect for. All these years and so many firearms, I'm here learning like day one again ;)

rob63

Master
    May 9, 2013
    Also, not sure about the reenacting but he told me he used it in N-SSA smoothbore competition. I love the unmessed with guns. Not a fn of the prettied up ones. Not really sure what to inspect for. All these years and so many firearms, I'm here learning like day one again ;)

If he was shooting it in N-SSA then he was using musket balls, not just blank loads, so that's a pretty good sign it is probably good to go. I would just pull the nipple to inspect for corrosion and to clean it, nothing major. If it's not on too tight, you can probably get it off with a regular wrench. If it is tight, pm me and I can send you mine. If you want to buy one here is a link. If you are going to shoot it much, you're probably going to want your own anyway. I can't really help you that much with learning about shooting it. I have a pretty extensive collection of Civil War guns, but, ironically, I only shoot modern guns.

INGarand

Plinker
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    Nice looking rifle. I have a 1842 converted to percussion that I bought from a warehouse in Tn that claimed was bought after the war with surrendered southern arms. Not nearly as good as shape as yours.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Just thought you'd like to know, the NMLRA's fall shoot kicks off next Saturday down in Friendship. If'n I were you, I'd take that rifle and walk around the sheepsheds and the museum with it. Let the real gurus tell you about it. I guarantee it's worth the drive.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Mine is a repro with 33" barrel. The family enjoyed it target shooting for Labor Day.
    Flame, smoke and 750 grain minie balls, what's not to like!

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I'm a 30 year N-SSA member, shot many muskets, carbines and a few smothbores.
    .670 ball, shake them in a coffee can with Alox lubeto dimple them up a bit. 55 grains Swiss 3f is a great load.

You can buy rubber tubes, charge them and seal it with the ball and you're good to go.

Nice musket, have fun and be safe.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Great lookin musket. Just keep the loads reasonable and be sure to clean immediately after use. So many people new to ML will say "i'll clean it later" and later ask why do I have....

Top Bottom