• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm just not that in to the AR15. There, I said it.

I bought one used from a buddy and have maybe put 250 rounds through it in 4 years.

The ergonomics just don't appeal to me. I find myself fumbling for the bolt lock switch and mag release, and always have to smack the bottom of mags twice to seat it properly. I know that would improve if I forced myself to train with the rifle; I just have other rifles I like to shoot more.

The lack of practicality confuses me. It's too small for deer (and illegal). It's not a great target rifle, because of the semi auto platform. I know you could 'accurize' it, but you'd just get to the starting point of a factory bolt gun.

It's more expensive to shoot because of the rifle round cost, but not so expensive I'd save the money worth the time to reload the cases.

The caliber feels too small. I much prefer the .30 caliber rounds (762x39, 308, 3006, etc).

But I digress...

Anyone like any other semi auto platform?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Your criticisms are all addressed via training--the bolt lock takes training, the magazine release is easy, you are reloading the weapon improperly if you are smacking on magazines. You can obtain the AR platform in a myriad of calibers including Indiana legal calibers.

You are luck as there are a host of .30 platforms (including the AR, which was originally in .30, lol).

I am partial to the G3 and SIG57/AMT but that is because I was raised with them. Can you tell us what you desire to do with it?

Remember, any platform you choose will have pros and cons.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There are a few guys on here playing at 1k yards with irons on ar15's. I think they are excellent target rifles when set up that way. My 300blk ar15 has taken a few deer with no issues and 223 did just fine on a hog in Oklahoma although I would have rather had my 300blk. I think the ar is the most ergonomically pleasing of the current semi auto offerings when it comes to controls, but like any firearm the fine motor skills required to operate one smoothly come with training.

But if you need to scratch that 7.62x39 itch there are always ak's, here is mine. Honestly 7.62x39 is not much of a savings in ammo cost. 223 55gr fmj is so abundant right now that its cutting the gap between the two. Locally it is actually more expensive to pick up wolf polyformance 7.62x39 steel cased fmj than it is to find decent 55gr fmj 223. Online there is some savings to be had, but not much.

tOTWIXB.jpg

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Folks buy guns for different reasons.

Why do so many people carry Glocks? Because they work. There are certainly cooler looking guns, cheaper guns, more fun to shoot guns and so on.

Why do so many people shoot AR15s? Because they are practical. Sure a 308 bolt gun is more powerful, a Mini-14 let's you play A-Team, AKs have some weird rebel allure to them and so on.

So if you value something more than practicality, knock yourself out with what you prefer and don't sweat it.

I'll be over here with my Glocks and ARs and some other guns which are more fun to shoot, look cooler etc.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, as most have said, this seems to be a training issue.

With regards to caliber, what's the rifle's purpose for you?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ar's are just as reliable as AK's and more accurate at greater distaces because of the caliber. I know AK's are accurate and am not disputing it. I like both platforms but yes I'm more of an AR fan.
    You will have training issues on any platform you go with. 5 year old terrorist are shooting AR's just as well as they do AK's. So anyone can learn with proper effort.
    Do what makes you happy but give whatever you try a fair shake before you dismiss it or you may be missing out on something great

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ar's are just as reliable as AK's and more accurate at greater distaces because of the caliber. I know AK's are accurate and am not disputing it. I like both platforms but yes I'm more of an AR fan.
    You will have training issues on any platform you go with. 5 year old terrorist are shooting AR's just as well as they do AK's. So anyone can learn with proper effort.
    Do what makes you happy but give whatever you try a fair shake before you dismiss it or you may be missing out on something great

I had to spend used car money to get an accurate ak lol. Ar's are better all around. I don't even think there is a good argument against them being the best defensive carbine currently on the planet. I love my ak, but... ar's are just about perfect when it comes to cost/capability/function/accuracy. AK's are good pewpewpew, and with the right amount of money are very effective defensive rifles... still hard to beat a nice ar15.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Yeah. Well, there are top and bottom ejects. I always wanted a Steyr........

anything but keltec is my motto lol. I've never shot a steyr, but i'd like too. I have shot a number of bullpups and found triggers to be bad, and magazine changes to be clumsy... Something in me still wants a steyr or tavor too mainly for cool factor.

Top Bottom