• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was shooting with a few friends over in Ohio Saturday. One had a target Ruger 10/22 rifle. I didn’t get the actual model number. It had a laminated wood stock, a “target” trigger and the barrel was a heavy style that had a slow spiral looking finish on it. Can’t really describe it any other way. The owner of said rifle said he had just bought it the week before. It was tagged for $550 in the shop he bought it from, somewhere around the Greenwood IN area I believe.
    This rifle shooting Federal Automatch ammo was as quiet as any I’ve heard suppressed. The echo of the shot off the far tree line was much louder than the sound leaving the gun.
    None of us could believe or understand why it was so quiet. I even looked at the end of the barrel to see if it was ported in any way but it was just a normal barrel with a target crown.
    Any ideas why it was so quiet?
    I even shot some of his ammo in my 22/45 pistol but it was the normal 22lr volume.

Matt

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    my mossberg 715T is very quiet as well.

most of the 22 rifles i "hear" at steel matches i can barely
    "hear"

someone can probably explain the whole ballistic thing, and the hows, whys, and therefores

:cheers:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    From what you described, your friend has a hammer forged bull barrel on that 10/22 target rifle. I've not noticed that they were any quieter than a standard 10/22 barrel. [STRIKE]Was he using subsonic ammo?[/STRIKE] Federal AutoMatch ... should have read the OP closer.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am guessing some combo of temp and humidity either slowed the round down (unlikely) or changed the speed of sound enough that the round was subsonic.

Was it pretty darned hot out?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    That 2" may have made the difference. I think suppressed 10/22s are louder than long barreled bolt actions shooting subsonics. I'll bet my suppressed RPR is a lot quieter than that 10/22 tgt. No reflected report, just the thwack from the bullet. You hear the primer strike and that's about all.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My son bought a 21" barrel from Brownells I believe for less than $200 that you can barely hear until the round gets down range. It's got the spiral tapered silhouette as well

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I was shooting with a few friends over in Ohio Saturday. One had a target Ruger 10/22 rifle. I didn’t get the actual model number. It had a laminated wood stock, a “target” trigger and the barrel was a heavy style that had a slow spiral looking finish on it. Can’t really describe it any other way. The owner of said rifle said he had just bought it the week before. It was tagged for $550 in the shop he bought it from, somewhere around the Greenwood IN area I believe.
    This rifle shooting Federal Automatch ammo was as quiet as any I’ve heard suppressed. The echo of the shot off the far tree line was much louder than the sound leaving the gun.
    None of us could believe or understand why it was so quiet. I even looked at the end of the barrel to see if it was ported in any way but it was just a normal barrel with a target crown.
    Any ideas why it was so quiet?
    I even shot some of his ammo in my 22/45 pistol but it was the normal 22lr volume.

Matt

I think I may know this person with the super quiet rifle....very well in fact. It is a standard Ruge 10/22 Target version with the stainless bull barrel and laminated stock. Yeah. It is super quiet.

Top Bottom