• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I just received one of these Phillipine returns last Week. It’s my first Garand and I am one happy camper!

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I was very happy with the condition. Mine is a service grade. I hear that the Field grades are often somewhat rough recently, so I would suggest going with the Servicegrade.

If you’d like you can PM me and I’ll send you some pictures later this week.

Last edited:

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I was very happy with the condition. Mine is a service grade. I hear that the Field grades are often somewhat rough recently, so I would suggest going with the Servicegrade.

If you’d like you can PM me and I’ll send you some pictures later this week.

Can we all get a peak? Just got one of the Turk returns and it had was more than expected but the Philippines ones have faced so much scrutiny due to humidity. Would love to hear, and more importantly SEE, metal condition. I assume all or most will be in CMP wood.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I’ll see if I can get some pictures up today. I ordered two, hoping to give myself a better chance of at least one being WW2 era as that was my main interest. Ended up getting both 1942’s in USGI wood. Undecided yet if I’m keeping the second.

As as for the metal condition, one had a very good finish. Probably been reparked at some point, but didn’t have that ugly light grey park job thankfully. It looks very good. Almost no surface rust, and the tiny bit that was present was easily removed with 0000 steel wool.

The second had had a bit more wear on the metal. Not bad, but it had definitely seen its share of use. It had some surface rust on the trigger guard and gas cylinder, but most of it was also easily removed.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I dropped an order for a Service Grade International Harvester into the mail last Tuesday when I mailed my 1911 order packet. Exactly a week later, this beauty showed up on my door step. It is pretty impressive that with everything going on at the CMP, GCA Convention, 1911 Orders, etc., they filled my order in less than a week!
    Q84xIHa.jpg

The new cases are a bit larger; but, not as sturdy than the old green ones...

8JC2gbL.jpg

On the back of the hang tag was the letter "Y" which I believe indicates the York Building which is where they are working the Philippine Island MAP Returns...

WkjwULY.jpg

It has the dark stained CMP Walnut stock...
    3IuGO4z.jpg

ik6hxhS.jpg

The barrel was made by LMR on 3-54...based on the placement of the punch mark and the breach is 'in the white', I'm guessing the barrel is original.
    IbWpjrX.jpg

HfM4RAK.jpg

Although, the receiver, bolt, sights and gas cylinder are IHC; the OpRod and entire trigger group are SA.
    y0HvLIp.jpg

The original finish is in great shape...
    ucFjAnh.jpg

I certainly didn't expect such great muzzle and throat measurements. I haven't measured for myself yet. It has been my experience that the CMP's numbers are always conservative.
    e4p1DlV.jpg

qztueO6.jpg

I was hoping for an original IHC Stock; but, I don't mind the CMP walnut stocks. All she needs is several coats of RLO, a little grease and some range time. I couldn't be happier with this rifle.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I got one of the last IHC's before the Phillipine returns also in service grade. It looks very much in the same condition as yours. That should be one great shooter.
    I won't be shooting mine, I have a few Springfields to shoot.
    Wanted an IHC because my dad worked for them in Evansville both before and after Korea. They sent me a late 1954 which is when he married my mother. Couldn't be more pleased.
    CMP will send you a rifle at least as good as the description in my experience.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Great story about how these garands returned back to the U.S. Hope some more of the old warhorses return, like 03-A3 Springfields and M-1 carbines.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    what are the cheapest organizations you can join to satisfy cmp requirements? I see service grade available, but doesnt say philippine, is there another category?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Cheapest way I've found
    1) LTCH covers the shooting aspect
    2) Garand collectors is $25 a year for your club, plus it comes with a quarterly magazine that's pretty nice

If you go to the north store to pick out your Garand you can join the Garand collectors while your there

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I can't believe the CMP is using Hackberry for the stocks on some of their M-1 rifles. Where I live, Hackberry is only used for making pallets. It splits easily, is hard to stain, and when it dries out, it breaks easily. What stocks I've seen are just down right ugly. What happened to all the walnut and birch stocks?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't believe the CMP is using Hackberry for the stocks on some of their M-1 rifles. Where I live, Hackberry is only used for making pallets. It splits easily, is hard to stain, and when it dries out, it breaks easily. What stocks I've seen are just down right ugly. What happened to all the walnut and birch stocks?
    I thought they used walnut for any that needed new stocks. Where did you hear about the Hackberry? Mine is a Special Grade, so it has a new manufacture walnut stock on it.

Top Bottom