• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Long story short: I've come to the realization that I need to add a .22 rifle to my beginning collection, and am seeking input.

I like what I've seen on the Marlin XT-22TR; namely that it's a .22 bolt gun that can chamber .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle. That ability seems to be fairly uncommon in what research I've done (mostly on new guns). Friend has a Henry that has that capability, and it's an absolute riot running Shorts through it at the range (stupid quiet). My question is, besides those two options, what am I looking at in terms of that capability.

The rifle will be a plinker/range toy, with the very outside possibility of some pest control (squirrels) should I make my way back to New Hampshire in the coming years. I'd prefer a bolt gun, but a lever or pump would be acceptable as well (in that order). Outside of an optic of some kind, and possibly a different stock/minor trigger work, I don't envision many modifications.

I'm definitely open to outside/oddball suggestions that may not be out there on the new market. Or, tell me I'm stupid for wanting the capability to fire all three rounds, and that LR only is all I really need.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think my gemtech subsonic 22lr rounds are as quiet as shorts without my suppressor on it. Lots of subsonic loads available for 22lr, they seem easier to find than shorts nowdays

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Unfortunately there is not much available in Current production BOLT gun that will allow you the capability to shoot s,l,lr. Most Manufacturers moved away from that option a long time ago. As already stated there are several good .22 lr rounds available that will still get you various forms of quiet. They will probably cost as much as shooting shorts but you have a broader base to shop that way.

hans1911

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    I can’t recommend a CZ 452 or 455 enough. They come with beautiful walnut stocks, or synthetic if you prefer, and built with quality. They are very accurate, and come in several configurations.

With a 24” bbl, subsonics are very quiet, and with CCI Quiet ammo, it’s suppressor quiet.

i know that doesn’t give you the ability to shoot all 3 rounds, but with so many LR choices, especially CCI Quiets, I feel you truly don’t need the others.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    CZ is your answer. 455/452 is awesome. Wish I hadn't sold my old 542. Dumbest thing I ever did.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Lever guns will get you the versatility that you seek.

But, .22 L and .22 S are expensive. Like almost as expensive as 9mm / 50ct.

As mentioned above, the Browning BL-22 is the bee's knees in the lever action platform. 22 rds of 22 short. Very fun.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    As stated above, outside of lever guns that option isn't common. There is a large enough variety in 22LR that you can likely find what you seek in 22 Short or Long. That being said, I would go with a CZ455 (or 452 if you can get your hands on one).

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Appreciate the input! The versatility isn't a need, more of a cool factor/piece of nostalgia that I was wondering about. I know there is an almost endless selection of .22LR rounds for every want and need; however I was unaware that Shorts and Longs have fallen so far by the wayside. Makes sense I guess.

The CZ's are definitely on the shortlist, as they are beautiful firearms. Even if I don't go with one at this stage, there is a gut feeling that's telling me I'll own one eventually (and might regret not just springing for it now..).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Ruger American Rimfire also comes in a variety stocks, sizes and barrel lengths. They aren't quite as nice as the CZ's but they can be had for a little less $. They are pretty accurate too.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This is my vote for favorite 22bolt gun. Best one out of the box under 500 hands down. It shoots lights out and comes with all the basic upgrades you'll want to do to other models. Nice trigger, proper bolt knob, one piece mount, acceptable stock, and it's threaded. Only thing that would get me away from this rifle would be a vudoo gun works.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    In the under $500 realm, the CZ is pretty well accepted as the reigning king of 22 bolt guns.

This is my vote for favorite 22bolt gun. Best one out of the box under 500 hands down. It shoots lights out and comes with all the basic upgrades you'll want to do to other models. Nice trigger, proper bolt knob, one piece mount, acceptable stock, and it's threaded. Only thing that would get me away from this rifle would be a vudoo gun works.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you want a bolt action that will shoot short, long, and long rifle then look for one of the numerous models of Mossberg .22s built in the 40's and 50's (M42, M44, M142, M144, M146 and several more). The barrels were lead lapped, the triggers are very nice and they tend to shoot very well. You can typically find them from $200-$400 depending on model and sights.

For current production .22s it is hard to beat the CZs as has already been mentioned. If you want something different than what most others have then it is hard to get much different in a bolt action .22 than a Browning T-bolt.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    In the under $500 realm, the CZ is pretty well accepted as the reigning king of 22 bolt guns.

I've shot them, and was not impressed unless it was one that was set up with a better trigger, nicer rail and a better stock. The Ruger will outshoot them out of the box. The rimfire forums aren't as stuck on CZ as this forum Not bashing them, but Ruger has stepped up, big time. The precision and the target rifles are hard to beat.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Respectfully disagree regarding the 455 vs. RAR. The CZ's have better actions and barrels. The triggers do need tuned, but that can be done by anybody with even a little mechanical knowledge (righty tighy, lefty loosey) with a spring and shim (if a shim is even needed). The stock triggers can be tuned down to about a pound with no creep.

Note - I always use aftermarket premium scope bases and rings. No use dinking around with factory junk.

The Ruger American's are, to me, budget rifles. They just don't stack up to the 455.

I can't speak to the RPR. I need to check those out.

I've shot them, and was not impressed unless it was one that was set up with a better trigger, nicer rail and a better stock. The Ruger will outshoot them out of the box. The rimfire forums aren't as stuck on CZ as this forum Not bashing them, but Ruger has stepped up, big time. The precision and the target rifles are hard to beat.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Respectfully disagree regarding the 455 vs. RAR. The CZ's have better actions and barrels. The triggers do need tuned, but that can be done by anybody with even a little mechanical knowledge (righty tighy, lefty loosey) with a spring and shim (if a shim is even needed). The stock triggers can be tuned down to about a pound with no creep.

Note - I always use aftermarket premium scope bases and rings. No use dinking around with factory junk.

The Ruger American's are, to me, budget rifles. They just don't stack up to the 455.

I can't speak to the RPR. I need to check those out.

This is a 3 shot group with a factory rar target model at 17 yards, and it doesn't open up at 25 yards. To keep this from becoming a keyboard commando anecdotal evidence fest I'll present factual evidence of performance and offer you to come shoot mine any time. I can meet at the indoor HHRP range most evenings during my lunch breaks. To be clear it is the target model, basically the rimfire precision without the senselessly heavy "chassis".

nYEPihF.jpg

U3vWOyy.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nice shooting! Glad you found a solid shooter and are happy with your rifle.

I'll still personally hold the CZ up as a higher quality rifle. That's not saying you won't see good results with the Ruger American. For example, there's lots of Savage Axis rifles that shoot exceptionally well.....but they're still budget rifles.

I've shot both and looked at how they're put together. The CZ is just made better and doesn't cut as many corners in design. For example, look at how the barrels attach to the receiver. The Ruger is a cheaper press fit. It's not threaded or using a quality set screw design (the CZ uses a well engineered set screw design). That's just one example. But again, that's not saying you won't have good results with the Ruger.....the CZ is just a better made rifle.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Nice shooting! Glad you found a solid shooter and are happy with your rifle.

I'll still personally hold the CZ up as a higher quality rifle. That's not saying you won't see good results with the Ruger American. For example, there's lots of Savage Axis rifles that shoot exceptionally well.....but they're still budget rifles.

I've shot both and looked at how they're put together. The CZ is just made better and doesn't cut as many corners in design. For example, look at how the barrels attach to the receiver. The Ruger is a cheaper press fit. It's not threaded or using a quality set screw design (the CZ uses a well engineered set screw design). That's just one example. But again, that's not saying you won't have good results with the Ruger.....the CZ is just a better made rifle.

I digress, I know that I have broken a golden INGO rule by suggesting a better rifle dollar for dollar when the CZ trump card had already been played.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Gooble gobble gooble gobble.....one of us.....one of us

:laugh:

INGO Rules:
    1) When a handgun or bolt rifle recommendation is asked: Recommend CZ
    2) When an opinion is asked about optics: Recommend OP to call Alan

I digress, I know that I have broken a golden INGO rule by suggesting a better rifle dollar for dollar when the CZ trump card had already been played.

Top Bottom