• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have an FAL I’m not in love but haven’t given it much of a chance. I am wanting a semi auto .308 and I am more familiar with the ar platform. Is it worth the switch? I know which ar and fal makes a big difference I would be looking for an ar10
    in the same price range $1,500ish

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Having several of both! They are very different animals, in my opinion. I like the ar platform and it works very well, However I think its not as smooth as the FNFAL. The FN to me seems less complicated and lighter. I like them both very much but for very different purposes. The ar seems to me to lend itself more to the more accurate rifle or longer range rifle. The FNFALs are just bad ass battle rifles.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I have had a FAL in the past and currently have an M&P 10. between the two, I would pick the M&P 10 every single time. It is light, way more accurate, takes readily available and fairly inexpensive Magpul mags, and mine has been utterly reliable. Aside from the cool factor of the FAL, I can't think of any reason I would pick it over an AR-10 platform. People will say that AR-10's have a lot of proprietary parts, but so does the FAL, so it is a non factor to me. I vote AR-10!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive had 1 FAL, and plenty of AR-10's. IMO there is no comparison what so ever. In terms of accuracy, and reliability, the FAL was horrible. The AR10's give me no issues.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ive had 1 FAL, and plenty of AR-10's. IMO there is no comparison what so ever. In terms of accuracy, and reliability, the FAL was horrible. The AR10's give me no issues.

Yeah, you are right, no comparison. I'll take the FAL every time. :rockwoot: Go shoot 200 rds thru each and let your shoulder decide.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Older DSA were good rifles, new ones, lots of issues. Magazine fit, bolt over base, and barrel timing seem to be the biggest problems.
    I have an Imbel build on an early G1 lower with a 16in barrel that will shoot 3in groups all day long at 100yrds with good surplus ammo. Iron sights, no glass.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    sounds like it might be a good idea to list it in the classifieds and see if you have any takers...cough cough

But I feel the ar10 is a better all around platform, but the fn just has the bada$$ery factor. never having shot one, the thought of owning a fal is very appealing. I guess it's between function or cool factor

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I cant speak to old or new DSA stuff. My isreali heavy shoots great. My austrian stg58 shoots better than that and the british L1A2 shoots nicest yet. The ar10s I have are the sig sauer 716dmr and a 716 12.5". they are both piston guns and shoot great. The dpms sass I have is a gas gun and it shoots great as well. My build physcially has issues shooting the m1 platform well at all. I struggle to get a good sight picture and cheek weld. The HK91 and cetme I have I also get much better pictures with than the M1. All in all the AR10 is going to lend itself better for most applications I think. The others have significant value for cool factor and historical reasons. Thats all Id say they really have a leg up on the AR10s.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a AR 308 and a PTR 91 and while I like them both, I would get rid of the AR long before the PTR. The PTR is a nice blend of a battle rifle(FAL) and a target rifle(AR) in performance for me.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The AR10 has always been a problem child for the AR platform. For every person who says their rifle runs like a champ I can find you 5 or more with issues. When creating an SPR or DM type rifle the AR10 platform will get you closer to that then any battle rifle platform, ie the HK G3 series or the FAL series. The M14 platform is a very reliable and extremely capable in accuracy platform that gets overlooked due to the fact it's not tacticool modular.

If your looking to clover leaf at 100 yards AR10 and hope it works, limited aftermarket, rock solid accuracy and reliability M14 platform, roller locker fan boy be it on a budget (PTR) or baller (HK) G3 series, go to hell and back battle rifle that will work at all costs but weights a ton and is only good for 3 MOA on its best day FAL.

I went early 2000's DSA OSW 11" sbr

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    The AR10 has always been a problem child for the AR platform. For every person who says their rifle runs like a champ I can find you 5 or more with issues. When creating an SPR or DM type rifle the AR10 platform will get you closer to that then any battle rifle platform, ie the HK G3 series or the FAL series. The M14 platform is a very reliable and extremely capable in accuracy platform that gets overlooked due to the fact it's not tacticool modular.

If your looking to clover leaf at 100 yards AR10 and hope it works, limited aftermarket, rock solid accuracy and reliability M14 platform, roller locker fan boy be it on a budget (PTR) or baller (HK) G3 series, go to hell and back battle rifle that will work at all costs but weights a ton and is only good for 3 MOA on its best day FAL.

I went early 2000's DSA OSW 11" sbr

:+1: I couldn't have said it any better.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    To me this is like comparing the AR15 to the AK47.

Can the AR10 be as reliable as the FAL??? Probably. Is it in most cases??? No way.

Can the FAL be as accurate as an AR10?? By design no. You are comparing a thinner profile barrel that has clamps on it in several places to a generally heavier profile free float barrel. You also have way more options on a trigger in the AR10 (lighter pull, shorter reset, less overtravel for the AR10).

Versatility goes to the AR10 as you can make it serve just about any purpose you want it to serve.

However.......If I am not sitting at a bench punching paper, I will take the FAL all day long over the AR10 just for the fun factor.

BTW, the FAL is way more fun in full auto too

I have been down the AR10 road a few times and it just never seems to serve a good purpose as well as other rifles. If I want to punch paper, I will shoot a bolt gun. If I want ultimate reliability in a battle type rifle, I will take my FAL or the M1A. I guess if you need to hang IR illuminators, thermal scopes and night vision off a rifle, the AR10 would be better than most. i just have never had that need.

Top Bottom