• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I have the itch to clone a MK12 Mod1 and Im curious about sources and pricing. I see them on different websites for different prices and Im just curious about finding one used. I found one on armslist, but its almost as much as most companys entire rifle! Anyone have any idea about these creatures? Ive been looking at ARF as well and im not seeing any information that seems solid enough to make me commit.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Depends on your level of commitment. Do you want a true clone using as many OE parts as possible or do you want something that closely resembles a Mod 1? There is a significant difference in price between the two.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Depends on your level of commitment. Do you want a true clone using as many OE parts as possible or do you want something that closely resembles a Mod 1? There is a significant difference in price between the two.

That would make sense as to the pricing being all over the place, the one that I'm eyeballing says its a High Caliber Sales. From what I'm seeing HCS seems to be one of the best when it comes to reproduction accuracy and shooting accuracy. The Douglas barrel seems to be what the real thing used, so I imagine thats where most of the cost comes from.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Like a factor of two when I did a virtual build. Some of the parts (PRI guard, OPS inc unit, ARMS mounts) are rather pricey.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    BCM has turnkey Mk12 uppers that are pretty close, but they are BCM barrels.

IIRC, a *real* MK12 would have a Douglas barrel.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    High Caliber Sales offers the closest to the real thing as you can buy when using new components. They are also built by the man largely responsible for the existence of the Mk12 so that brings a premium price as well.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy the BCM mentioned above if you aren’t hung up on authenticity.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Phylo, how would he come out if he just spent the time to gather parts, and send it out for a good barrel?

I'm not familiar with the cost of some of those OE parts... would he gain ground, or no?

-Nate

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    High Caliber Sales offers the closest to the real thing as you can buy when using new components. They are also built by the man largely responsible for the existence of the Mk12 so that brings a premium price as well.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy the BCM mentioned above if you aren’t hung up on authenticity.
    ^^^
    All of this is spot on. This is the one time where you wont here me putting BCM as my number 1 choice. Well not the only time and I'm not saying anything is wrong with the BCM but there is a better choice here and it's high caliber sales because this is the legit crane mk12 upper or as close as a mere mortal is going to get unless you find one of the combat used ones that were briefly for sale. I'll buy one of thos if anyone has one by the way.

Also I like precision reflex offerings. They have a lot of options so make sure if you pick them you select the right barrel twist and such for what YOU are looking for.
    https://www.precisionreflex.com/products.aspx?CAT=4214

But I'd buy high caliber sales. AJ Brown is a genius and a patriot. It is an honor to own a couple weapons the man has built. He comes to the 1500 or did for a while. I always try to shake his hand. His genius work and rifles downrange helped keep me alive and are STILL being used overseas to kill bad guys and defend freedom!!! This man is like the john moses browning of our era. He is a national treasure and I urge anyone to buy from him and support him in any way or just thank the man if you get a chance.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo, how would he come out if he just spent the time to gather parts, and send it out for a good barrel?

I'm not familiar with the cost of some of those OE parts... would he gain ground, or no?

-Nate

It's possible to. I was somewhat patient in putting my Mk12(ish) rifle together and bought as many of the parts used as I could. It saved me some money but took more time time than buying a BCM or HCS would have. The Mk12s aren't as popular as they once were so finding used parts wasn't terribly difficult, just took a bit of time.

I built mine in 6.5 Grendel so it's definitely not a true clone but close enough for me to satisfy my urge to own one.

oCOw4SJh.jpg

lIMSNz0h.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Phylo, that is SO sweet. To me, the "mk12" look is defined by a couple particular items: the PRI handguard, the OPS, INC muzzle brake/collar, the folding FSB, a fixed A2 stock, and the ARMS swan sleeve, etc.

With the exception of the improved stock and MIAD grip, it sure looks like you about nailed all the key items-- especially the upper.

Looks great.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks Hohn, she's definitely my favorite from a looks standpoint and doesn't shoot bad either. I have another one in the works in FDE (.224 Valkyrie) that I'll finish eventually.

Top Bottom