• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am 99% sure of the answer to this question. The front sight gas block should be completely sealed to the barrel, correct? I had a new one installed on a rifle and it is acting under gassed. When I sprayed gun scrubber into the gas block, I could see some weeping out between the gas block band and the barrel. Seems like this is wrong but I wanted to be sure before yelling at the gunsmith.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    It's just a hole at the bottom of the gas block and on top of the barrel. If your seeing a lot of discharge coming out between the barrel and gas block, if it was my rifle, I'd take gas block off to see if the holes are aligned properly. Before you do that, shove a small pipe cleaner down the gas block hole. You should be able to see it if you look down the barrel if the holes are even close. You could have carbon, copper, or something else jamming things up. The pipe cleaner might clean it out.

I am 99% sure of the answer to this question. The front sight gas block should be completely sealed to the barrel, correct? I had a new one installed on a rifle and it is acting under gassed. When I sprayed gun scrubber into the gas block, I could see some weeping out between the gas block band and the barrel. Seems like this is wrong but I wanted to be sure before yelling at the gunsmith.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've seen gas leak out between the gas block and the barrel of AK's. It will happen with AR's too. Do like thewabbit (a true master) said and see how your alignment is first. It could be another issue. Guns are.hard to diagnose online. For me, I can look at or shoot a gun and know the issue quickly in most cases. Online we will be here for days back and forth lol. Not picking on you snorko, I think you get me, weve met face to face and I like you. I'm just talking in general

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've seen gas leak out between the gas block and the barrel of AK's. It will happen with AR's too. Do like thewabbit (a true master) said and see how your alignment is first. It could be another issue. Guns are.hard to diagnose online. For me, I can look at or shoot a gun and know the issue quickly in most cases. Online we will be here for days back and forth lol. Not picking on you snorko, I think you get me, weve met face to face and I like you. I'm just talking in general

No, I get it. The rifle ran perfect before the old gas block blew out. After AWS replaced the GB it has been no bueno. I'm dropping it off to them tomorrow and we'll see what they have to say.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Well what type of rifle do you have? and why did the gas block fail the first time? and what was it replaced with? and how many rounds fired sense you had it replaced? I do think your right to question the gasblock first check and see if the gas port is free by poking something down there ... the 45 degree gasports are really easy if she is drilled at 90 degrees (like a ak100 or ak74 thats a little harder but still do able) They can fowl up but its extremely uncommon and often a side of a misaligned gas block.... They had it off so there a good chance its slightly off or canted... far as gas leaking that shouldnt happen at all ... all barrel components call for a .003 interference fit and if solvents are weeping throught that then thats a problem they should have caught... (cause of your problem i doubt it ak's are so overgased you they are hard to stop)

Now AWS uses alot of WBP parts on there builds so if you had the gasblock replaced odds are its a WBP part... WBP while polish parts are not military parts and they are certainly not surplus quality... from personal experience i find they are out of spec with many countries and do not always interchange (and yes i have found them to be loose on barrel journals before) AK operator union goes into good detail about how they hold up too...

Now My experiences with AWS are mixed as well i outsource my Russian aks74u kit to them (mostly population work) sense it was such a rare kit i wanted a pro's touch (well i was a little upset in the end) ... they headspaced my barrel without any headspaced gauges (all they had to do is ask i had a set)... when ahead and drilled my barrel pin started with a oversized pin (.302) they egged it and had go .315... i asked them from the start to try and use the original 7mm pin first so that upset me... Now i will say the work they did was quite nice but that fact they headspaced my gun with out gauges really angered me so much i didn't allow them to install the barrel pin until i could verify the headspace was in spec... It was in spec but if it hadnt been i would have lost a $500 bluejack barrel and/or the matching numbered original trunnion for the gun... that would make anyone upset

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Here's a link where I discuss the original problem. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/430274-problem-conv-saiga-223-pt-ii.html
    It has never worked since being repaired so it was messed up leaving AWS back when they repaired it.

I had emailed AWS some time ago and they said to bring it in. I took it to the range a second time to confirm the issue and it is a fail. I stopped by AWS in Greenwood last week when I was in Indy but nobody was there. Sent them an email last Thursday but have not yet heard back from them. At this point I would rather take it to someone more competent and forget about AWS altogether. I hate to take someone else's mistake to another gunsmith but that is likely the solution.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Well i think they moved to [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Muskegon MI 3 weeks ago they posted something about it on there facebook but nothing has been updated yet[/FONT]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well i think they moved to Muskegon MI 3 weeks ago they posted something about it on there facebook but nothing has been updated yet

I received a reply from them via email stating that. They are being very cool about that and have asked me to ship the rifle to them and they will make it right.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I received a reply from them via email stating that. They are being very cool about that and have asked me to ship the rifle to them and they will make it right.

They are good people i have no doubts they will make it right, there a young company and they make mistakes just like the rest of us... hell i burnt through my RPD gas tube welding on a hand grip "building a comando shorty" and I welded 20ga sheetmetal for a living for years

Top Bottom