• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    25 august 2014 at approximately 530am. The last time I touched a razor to my face.

Beard problems, when I shoot ar's, my beard gets caught in the stock when trying to get my cheek weld. Not a big deal but it gets annoying and hurts like hell for a few seconds when it gets torn out. Has anyone else had this issue and found a way to mitigate it? (shaving is not an option) I am in the process of building my dream ar, I would prefer to address this issue from the get go. Any suggestions for specific stocks to use or avoid. I only have experience with magpul and "stock" stocks.

Thanks for any advice.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I keep it shorter in the summer but let it grow in the winter. It bounces between 3/4" to 4-5 inches. It is true that a fixed stock prevents it. Shooting my bolt actions or mini30, I never have the problem. I will look into dd then. I do have one of their furniture sets laying around, maybe I'll get lucky.
    How does everyone else deal with it? Just deal with it?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It's a common problem that I have also experienced. As I recall the catching of beard hairs happens between the adjustable stock and the buffer tube.

If I recall correctly, the Hogue stock fits much tighter than the Magpuls and helps a little.

As most of my AR's are range toys/precision rifles and I am not an "operator", I finally realized that adjustable length stocks were more of a detriment than an asset and replaced several with fixed stocks like the A2 and my current favorite the RRA Operator A2 Stock.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    00r0r_j5GEAxOwUpZ_1200x900.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have thought of building an a2, but I like the collapsible stock. It seems like other people shoot my firearms more than I do. So the collapsible stock lends itself to different length of pulls for different people. I also like to store and sling my guns in the shortest configuration I can. To me it's more comfortable. I am trying to stay with a collapsible stock and a beard. lol

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have no beard but I have a Charlie Brown head (my head is comically round). Those high speed geegaw stocks cut me.

My go to is the Magpul CTR stock but I have no problems with an A1 or a Sully. Recommended.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I like the sully's but I don't think they would look "right" on my F1. Does any one have experience with the lancer fiber glass fixed stock? I just saw it and thought it might be a feasible option. I'd like to stick to adjustable stock, but we'll see.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I might do a future build with the sully that would be pretty cool to have. 14.5" m4 barrel, carry handle and the sully stock.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Ken Hackathorn recommends putting a piece of bicycle inner tube over the buffer tube, put the stock where you want it, then stretch the inner tube over the buffer tube to stock interface. He stated he's done this for years to prevent beard plucking.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ken Hackathorn recommends putting a piece of bicycle inner tube over the buffer tube, put the stock where you want it, then stretch the inner tube over the buffer tube to stock interface. He stated he's done this for years to prevent beard plucking.

That seems out there. Even for me.

Top Bottom