• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Step dad is retiring next year. I took him to steel challenge and now he wants to shoot rimfire rifle. The magnum research 1022 style rifles look nice but are they actually? I don't see him putting a 10/22 together he would rather just have something he can slap an optic on and have fun with.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've heard good things about their barrels.

However.....for the price, what would you think about spending an extra couple hundred dollars and getting him a Kidd supergrade barreled action and dropping it in whatever stock he likes?

Alternatively, you could get him a stock 10/22 and send it to CPC for barrel and bolt work. Then drop in whatever trigger and stock you want. You'd be cheaper than a Magnum Research rifle and IMHO, you'd have a better rifle in the end. But it is more work and isn't just an easy off the shelf option.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve handled several of them, new and used. They felt well assembled and the used ones felt as tight as the new ones. I wouldn’t hesitate to hug one if checked the boxes. I wanted a threaded barrel and the in store ones I found all wore the graphite barrel which is not threaded. In stores, I’ve seen them in the low $600 range, online can get them to $500 range depending on barrel and stock choices.

They can be incredibly light rifles. I recall one with the graphite tension barrel and a black walnut stock that was easily as light or lighter than my X-Ring. It was a feather weight.

Keep your options in check and I think the Magnum Research rifles are a solid middle of the road rifle.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Kidd's are easily going to exceed the budget. He wants a packaged up and factory built rifle to add a dot and go. Kidd prices get close enough that I'd just have him get an xring and call it a day. Steel challenge doesn't require a 1moa rifle, just light fast and reliable

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Steel challenge doesn't require a 1moa rifle, just light fast and reliable

Based on that, I’d bet the MR would be just fine.

Another thiught, what about one of the new Thompson Center R22s and a trigger upgrade? There is $50 rebate on the R22 until the end of December.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

Another thiught, what about one of the new Thompson Center R22s and a trigger upgrade? There is $50 rebate on the R22 until the end of December.

I got to fondle one of the new thompsons (didn't get to shoot it tho) but I have to say, I like it, since it takes ruger 10/22 parts, if I were to buy it, i'd probably drop in a brimstone trigger and a cmore railway with a 8moa dot and I think it'd make a great steel challenge gun

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Well this may have won the day. I'm still thinking I may want a mr with the left side charging handle, but I think the old man may be going with the tc. I didn't even know they had a 22 out. I really should pay more attention to the smith and Wesson family, I've been happy with all their new stuff.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve held one and would buy it 9 times out of 10 over a 10/22 just for the peep sights it comes with. I don’t really need one, but I may pick one up anyways just as a non-expansive option for teaching friends and family on.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have two and they are fantastic little rifles I use for plinking and small pest control. As others have said very light weight, and loaded with match ammo very, very accurate

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well this may have won the day. I'm still thinking I may want a mr with the left side charging handle, but I think the old man may be going with the tc. I didn't even know they had a 22 out. I really should pay more attention to the smith and Wesson family, I've been happy with all their new stuff.

S&W, or Thompson Center Arms anyway, has been knocking it out of the park for a while now.
    Between their Venture rifles and the Compass line, you can get an M.O.A. rifle for just a couple hundred bucks.
    I recently picked up a Compass in .243 that is fantastic.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a Magnum Research MLR22ATUT. It's super light, even having the aluminum shrouded barrel. I like it a lot! Especially the integrated receiver rail. The trigger is a standard Ruger plastic ~4.5-5 # pull. That's my only complaint.

I got mine through the NRA instructor discount program (well under $400). See pictures and info here: https://www.magnumresearch.com/magnum-lite-22/

I'm going to use it this weekend at the Bedford CMP Rimfire Sporter match. The factory stock is not legal for this event so I put it into a Victor Titan stock. I can post up results after the event if you like.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Unless it has a rear tang and either a threaded receiver/barrel or Kidd extended and reinforced barrel/receiver interface, I'm not personally going to spend the extra money on a fancy 10/22. Those are the two main draw backs to the 10/22 and most of the aftermarket expensive 10/22 clones stupidly don't address those issues.

My recommendation is to get a cheap 10/22 and do some work to it (CPC, trigger job, bed the action/barrel, etc...). Or buy a Kidd supergrade barrel/receiver and build from there. To me, there should be no in-between as it's not worth it and the main issues aren't addressed.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A little review... Y'all know it's always a good thing to change everything you can before a match right? :):

I changed around a few things on the gun for the CMP Rimfire Sporter match at the Bedford Contingent range. Victor Titan stock, Kidd trigger, Wolf ME ammo.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting-sports/458975-cmp-rimfire-sporter-match.html

Lots of light strikes, misfires, stove pipes & fte today.

Now that I'm at home inspecting the rifle I see it has a nicely machined bolt with a nice pinned firing pin but a stamped steel Ruger oem looking extractor. Bolt head space measures too loose imo. I do not see any firing pin protrusion. This gun NEEDS some VQ or TK parts; firing pin, extractor & extractor spring. At the price point this gun sells for it should have had these 3 things from the factory.

The gun really didn't like Wolf Match Extra & ran noticeably better with Match Target. Despite these issues, accuracy is much better than any oem factory 10/22 I've shot. My best slow fire prone unsupported sling only group at 50 yards scored a 100-8X. 3 holes + the next 7 into one ragged hole. Don't ask about the rest of the match. :):

The MR is a beautiful 10/22 clone. The receiver, bolt, barrel all look fantastic. It's very light weight & very accurate. With a few aftermarket parts it could be a semi-auto slayer.

Top Bottom