• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Since I've moved down south, I've been making lists of all the hiking and camping spots around me that I'd like to try and hit on various days off. I got to thinking of things I'd need (tent, camping gear, etc), and I realized I didn't really have a good rifle to take with me on camping trips. Sure I have an AR15, but it's a little on the heavy side, and I'd rather not have the cops called on me while camping for a scary black rifle. I'm missing a good bolt action rifle in my safe anyway, so I figured I'd poll the hive mind. I'd like the rifle to protect from wildlife on the bigger side. Mountain lions, black bears, scary bush critters, and even human self defense, as I'm looking at going to Big Bend National park one of these days.

A few options I've considered are something in .30-06. I already have an M1 Garand, so I wouldn't have to buy any new caliber that I don't already have. The other thing I looked into are the new Ruger rifles in 7.62x39. I have a ton of x39 on hand, and its a cheap round to feed through the rifle. On the flip side to all of this, I seriously don't even own a shotgun. So another option would be to just buy a shotgun and load it up with rifled slugs.

Would any of these work better than the other for my purposes? Would a x39 bolt action rifle even work well against larger, angry types of game? What say the the regular outdoor members of INGO?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Why not a lever action in one of the forty calibers? If you're worried about defense around the camp site a good pistol caliber carbine has got plenty of range. Nothing wrong with a 12ga either. I'd alternate with .mil spec 00buck and slugs; unless you go with a stagecoach gun then I'd stick with the 00.

When bear hunting I used a -06 Win 70 but slept by a 12ga pump...and it came in handy a couple of times.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If your open to a pistol caliber carbine, look at the KelTec sub2000. Lightweight and folds in half to fit perfectly in a backpack

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I would suggest checking with your local state and national parks to see if firearms are permitted, especially any long rifles.

I briefly looked at Big Bend and it appeared you can carry (I’m assuming handgun only) with some stipulations.

my suggestion would be bear mace, and if you can carry a pistol, a Glock in 10mm. Both would be more easily and rapidly accessible, and less menacing to other outdoors enthusiasts.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    a Bolt action is a bad choice for a self defense firearm without extensive training as such. An attacking Bear, Mountain Lion, Badger or Human doesnt give you the time to utilize such a firearm. Please everyone look at the word attacking as a prerequisite in the statement before you comment on about hunting the same creatures.

I'd get a nice hand cannon and some bear spray.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    a Bolt action is a bad choice for a self defense firearm without extensive training as such. An attacking Bear, Mountain Lion, Badger or Human doesnt give you the time to utilize such a firearm. Please everyone look at the word attacking as a prerequisite in the statement before you comment on about hunting the same creatures.

I'd get a nice hand cannon and some bear spray.

Scout rifles (bolt actions) have been extremely effective wilderness defense weapons for a long time. Lightweight reliable and can be operated pretty quickly.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big caliber handgun or if a rifle is a must, a lever gun in 44 mag or 45 Colt. Properly loaded both these cartridges are very effective inside their range and generally have respectable magazine capacity..

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Big caliber handgun or if a rifle is a must, a lever gun in 44 mag or 45 Colt. Properly loaded both these cartridges are very effective inside their range and generally have respectable magazine capacity..
    I totally agree with Leadeye. Nothing better for in-close defense than a .44 magnum revolver, 10mm auto, lever gun in .44 mag or .45 colt or a short 12ga loaded with 00 buck or slugs. At close range nothing can compare. IMHO

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Scout rifles (bolt actions) have been extremely effective wilderness defense weapons for a long time. Lightweight reliable and can be operated pretty quickly.

so were Blunderbuss... why arent you recommending those? Answer.. the same reason the bolt action rifle isnt the best choice nowadays... yes it can be used. I didnt say it couldnt be used, only that it isnt the best choice without a certain amount of specialized practice. If you were walking into a place known for animal or human attacks, would you pull out a limited capacity bolt action?

Some people think being "macho" is better than being prepared to win. Some people think the AR15 and all semi-automatic rifles are "for the military only" and those people recommend bolt action scout rifles. I am not saying you are in those camps, but I guarantee and know for a fact what you are suggesting is coming from those camps.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    so were Blunderbuss... why arent you recommending those? Answer.. the same reason the bolt action rifle isnt the best choice nowadays... yes it can be used. I didnt say it couldnt be used, only that it isnt the best choice without a certain amount of specialized practice. If you were walking into a place known for animal or human attacks, would you pull out a limited capacity bolt action?

Some people think being "macho" is better than being prepared to win. Some people think the AR15 and all semi-automatic rifles are "for the military only" and those people recommend bolt action scout rifles. I am not saying you are in those camps, but I guarantee and know for a fact what you are suggesting is coming from those camps.

Is spray and pray a "camp" also? :dunno:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

No there is a major weight and reliability considerations when considering a camp/survival rifle. I never said AR15's were military only and in fact I say they are not at all suited for military use. Having actually hunted with an ar15 I can tell you it has a vast number of shortcomings when humping through a woods with gear. They are not ideal wilderness survival rifle. They also have some major downfalls when it comes to foreign objects causing stoppages. A bolt gun doesn't, and the ruger American takes box mags which means you can conveniently carry ammo, have a rifle that weighs 1/3 what an ar does, and that has the ability to fire rapidly with training. An ar15, is not ideal and has drawbacks that keep it from being something i'd recommend to a person who hikes in dangerous wilderness. Reliability, weight, power, and adaptability give all the bonuses to bolt guns. I think the "Macho" camp would be suggesting manning up and packing the unnecessary extra weight and carrying an ar15 that has no advantage, none when it comes to a hiking gun.

The handgun camp isn't wrong, but it's also not right. Rifles have more power and that is what I want when a bear comes at me. But wilderness experts have long held that proper bear mace is more effective at stopping an attack than anything else. For a wilderness set up I want bear mace, and a bolt gun, maybe a 10mm glock on my chest or waist. An ar15 isn't even a consideration as a wilderness rifle imo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just throwing out ideas from top of my head:

►Ruger Scout Rifle in .450 BM

►CZ527 in .30RS

►Christensen AR-15s, Lightweights

►Ultra Compact XCR-M

►Pack Rifle, Survival .22lr

►Browning BLR, takedown variant

►Aero Survival Rifle, pistol calibers

Just some ideas for you to chew on. Hope all is well down there.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    :twocents:

i-kt3t648-XL.jpg

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    No there is a major weight and reliability considerations when considering a camp/survival rifle. I never said AR15's were military only and in fact I say they are not at all suited for military use. Having actually hunted with an ar15 I can tell you it has a vast number of shortcomings when humping through a woods with gear. They are not ideal wilderness survival rifle. They also have some major downfalls when it comes to foreign objects causing stoppages. A bolt gun doesn't, and the ruger American takes box mags which means you can conveniently carry ammo, have a rifle that weighs 1/3 what an ar does, and that has the ability to fire rapidly with training. An ar15, is not ideal and has drawbacks that keep it from being something i'd recommend to a person who hikes in dangerous wilderness. Reliability, weight, power, and adaptability give all the bonuses to bolt guns. I think the "Macho" camp would be suggesting manning up and packing the unnecessary extra weight and carrying an ar15 that has no advantage, none when it comes to a hiking gun.

The handgun camp isn't wrong, but it's also not right. Rifles have more power and that is what I want when a bear comes at me. But wilderness experts have long held that proper bear mace is more effective at stopping an attack than anything else. For a wilderness set up I want bear mace, and a bolt gun, maybe a 10mm glock on my chest or waist. An ar15 isn't even a consideration as a wilderness rifle imo.

You are saying the firearm used by most if not all Special Forces along with standard troops isnt capable in the wilderness for a self defense firearm.

You are 100% entitled to your opine...but I think you need to re-examine your facts. Nothing of what you said is actually true. In fact, its 100% wrong. I can prove that statement by pointing to 50 years of armed conflict testifying to the AR15s hardiness in the field.

Please dont come back with AR15s are not M16/M4s...yes they are. The designation M16XX and M4XX are WORD DESIGNATIONS given to the AR15 by Military contract.

Top Bottom