• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Let me preface this by saying I just became a site supporter only because I support ingunowners, not to ask for advice on this cheap old rifle. We were out today and I literally stumbled on a Mosin. Never had one. Of course my wife said I couldn't get it so I told the guy I would probably come back. Finish is rough. Has the ghost ring sight with the elevating rear sight, one leather strap in the back but not the front, ammo belt, a few stripper clips of ammo, and bayonet in a sheath. 1947 model. I believe it's probably worth the $275 so that's not the problem. I never desired to have one and I'm not familiar with them. Any opinions on going back to get it or will I regret it taking up space.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    img_12595809ce4bee8dd.jpg

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Let me preface this by saying I just became a site supporter only because I support ingunowners, not to ask for advice on this cheap old rifle. We were out today and I literally stumbled on a Mosin. Never had one. Of course my wife said I couldn't get it so I told the guy I would probably come back. Finish is rough. Has the ghost ring sight with the elevating rear sight, one leather strap in the back but not the front, ammo belt, a few stripper clips of ammo, and bayonet in a sheath. 1947 model. I believe it's probably worth the $275 so that's not the problem. I never desired to have one and I'm not familiar with them. Any opinions on going back to get it or will I regret it taking up space.

If this is a 91/30 check to see if it's a sniper. 1947 ex-snipers are not very common, 1947 non-sniper is even more not very common.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks but I don't know anything about the Mosins. But it sounds like either way it might be something I could pick up and learn about and not get hurt financially.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I guess I should ask how to tell if it's a 91/30. That would probably make my decision on picking it up.

With detachable bayonet I'm pretty sure it is. 91/30 is a long rifle vs m44 (carbine). M44 has a folding bayonet. To see if ex-sniper pull bolt back, look inside on left wall of receiver for two bolt/plugs. Note when you shove the bolt back in you just cocked the rifle. It will now need to be decocked.

You sure it's a 1947 vs 1941? But a 1941 Tula (would have a arrow inside a star) would be a good find also! 1941 Izhevsk (arrow inside a triangle) not so much.

cab32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2018
    ROCHESTER
    A 91/30 has a long barrel and usually a post front sight with a round hood and a straight grip stock. The bayonet is detachable from the rifle. A 91/30 bayonet does not look like a Knife but is a long spike with a cross cross section and a socket. A sheath is unusual as russia did not issue them with sheaths but some other counties did. If it is a knife bayonet, then it either does not go with a 91/30 or It may be Finnish . Mosin Nagants were designed in the late 1800's and are very unlike standard American or German bolt actions. CAB

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The sight is post with hood. The bayonet is a cross spike. I was told it's a 1947. I usually get lucky falling into a gun. I bought several odd ducks as just general interest items and find out later there's more to it. I will give the bolt and markings a look. The sheaf appears correct but could have been added long ago. It's just a suede or leather tube of exact length and fitment but has some age.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As much as it pains me to say it, that's not a bad price these days. They're a lot of fun. Check the bore - while these aren't sub-MOA rifles by any stretch of the imagination, bore condition matters. They're a lot of fun though. Buy or rent a copy of "Enemy at the Gates" if you've not seen it. If you're on the fence, that should push you over the edge. :):

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Did someone say 1947 ?

Regardless of the model 1947 is a collectable year. PU snipers, ex-snipers, and 91/30's are rare, M44's , it was the 2nd lowest production year for them at Izhevsk ( 43 was lower)

47 PU sniper
    47 ex-sniper
    47 91/30
    47 M44

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm not sure the price is all that bad.
    You're considering a rifle that's over 70 yrs old and don't expect it to be perfect. It's not like it's a fortune. I'd probably go for it.

Top Bottom