• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I decided I really should take some photos of my Model 1903 Springfield, so thought I would share them too. I traded a Remington '03 for it to a guy walking around at the Indy 1500 show many years ago. I really wanted one with a WWI date, so I was pretty happy to get it and have managed to hang on to it.

3ZSSXjS.jpg

2k8nNQK.jpg

RpHCa4m.jpg

OEm8HXA.jpg

oitdmq2.jpg

6XffMuj.jpg

u5MOJpT.jpg

0OSI4dw.jpg

LDEGZLa.jpg

9EVC4XA.jpg

FK0mWKw.jpg

undefined.jpg

Deimos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville
    Always love seeing 1903s, especially when there in such good condition like this one. Definitely on my list to get for sure.

You really cannot beat old mil-surp rifles.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    That a good looking 1903. It appears that it may have the old style straight bolt. The CMP cautions using this type bolt for anything other than display.

M1903/M1903A3 - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.
    A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).
    CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”.

CMP ALSO DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, REGARDLESS OF SERIAL NUMBER, WITH A SINGLE HEAT-TREATED “LOW NUMBER” BOLT. SUCH BOLTS, WHILE HISTORICALLY CORRECT FOR DISPLAY WITH A RIFLE OF WWI OR EARLIER VINTAGE, MAY BE DANGEROUS TO USE FOR SHOOTING.

THE UNITED STATES ARMY GENERALLY DID NOT SERIALIZE BOLTS. DO NOT RELY ON ANY SERIAL NUMBER APPEARING ON A BOLT TO DETERMINE WHETHER SUCH BOLT IS “HIGH NUMBER” OR “LOW NUMBER”.

Last edited:

MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Good thing it was created after the 800,000 serial block when they started double heat treating the receivers. A lower number would not be safe to shoot. Nice looking find!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    A 1903 was the 1st non-22 I ever fired. Was about 13 or 14. That thing rocked my world!
    That is a sweet example of a bygone era.
    :patriot:

Bob

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice rifle Rob! I picked one up from indiucky's shop that was a CMP rifle still packed in cosmoline. I learned that the magazine cut off is not in fact a "second safety", much to the delight of indiucky and indy1919a4... :):

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Nice rifle Rob! I picked one up from indiucky's shop that was a CMP rifle still packed in cosmoline. I learned that the magazine cut off is not in fact a "second safety", much to the delight of indiucky and indy1919a4... :):

Thanks, and thanks to all for the kind comments. I was pretty darn fortunate to find a WWI rifle that is still all original, most of them went through a rebuild at some point.

I have seen references to the second safety comment and wondered what it was about. LOL, we've all been there. The first time I ever went into a gun shop to look at a pistol, the guy racked the slide back and set it on the counter with the slide locked open. I had absolutely no idea how to release the slide, or even what the heck he had just done. I was young, stupid, and proud, so rather than just ask, I looked it over with the slide locked open as if that is how you do it!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks, and thanks to all for the kind comments. I was pretty darn fortunate to find a WWI rifle that is still all original, most of them went through a rebuild at some point.

I have seen references to the second safety comment and wondered what it was about. LOL, we've all been there. The first time I ever went into a gun shop to look at a pistol, the guy racked the slide back and set it on the counter with the slide locked open. I had absolutely no idea how to release the slide, or even what the heck he had just done. I was young, stupid, and proud, so rather than just ask, I looked it over with the slide locked open as if that is how you do it!

Well I certainly can't blame youth, and I'm not all that prideful, so I'm going to go with stupidity on my part! :):

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Took my girls out today to get ‘base to ogive’ measurements for match ammo this coming year and figured I’d get a family photo.

I hate starting new threads for no reason, so figured I’d tag along on this one.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    From right to left
    -6/18 Springfield 1903
    -4/43 Smith Corona 1903A3
    -Criterion Springfield 1903A1 w/Unertl 8x

Gonna take em out chootin’ tomorrow :)

Top Bottom