For the Remington lovers in the crowd...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    No pics yet, but I literally scored a garage find today. I came across an old Model 8! Stone stock, no taps for scope or anything. Original butt plate and unmolested wood, March of 1927 birthday. It is a little rough with a bad case of the freckles from neglect but it will be a looker with effort.
    Now I need to find some .32 Remington ammo. I thought I had some tucked away behind the hens teeth but, oh well...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They are great rifles, mine shoots a steady diet of cast bullets.
    I am sure you will load your own, but have you ever used any of the occasionally available factory loads? For a buck and a half to two bucks a shot I want to lean heavy on someone who has already been there's advice.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    I get the on line Guns & Ammo and they have a story about the mod. 8 , sorry I can't get the link up for you go to their web site you should be able to find it . Very cool gun you found and a peace of history .

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    well darn... I have 4 boxes of 30 Remington ammo, but no 32. That's the way it usually works for me.. lol

Prowler28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Lucky! It's about the only Remington I have any desire for at the moment. I can never find them, and whenever I happen to find one, it's either too expensive or chambered in .25 Remington— a caliber of which I do not believe is currently produced.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Lucky! It's about the only Remington I have any desire for at the moment. I can never find them, and whenever I happen to find one, it's either too expensive or chambered in .25 Remington— a caliber of which I do not believe is currently produced.
    The 8's are that way. You can get an 81 which is the same gun but in better calibers. My favorite is the 300 Savage but I had to pop on this one for the price.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Nice, not sure I had seen one before.
    John Moses Browning patent. They started making them in 1906 but they are called Model 8. Could you imagine an American Division armed with these instead of an '03 in the Great War? They even had a peace officer model with detachable magazines. I always said if they came out with the 300 Savage a few years earlier and they were used in this weapon we would probably never needed to go to .223, but who knows...

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I am sure you will load your own, but have you ever used any of the occasionally available factory loads? For a buck and a half to two bucks a shot I want to lean heavy on someone who has already been there's advice.

Mine is in 35 so ammo is never a problem. 32 Remington can be necked up from 30 Remington, I remember seeing something about this on the Cast Boolits website.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Mine is in 35 so ammo is never a problem. 32 Remington can be necked up from 30 Remington, I remember seeing something about this on the Cast Boolits website.
    I think I have a new quest in life, it may take two or three lives. I have this strange desire to collect all four barrels of the "Remington Rimless Line" for the model 8. Think about it, they have the same cases with different calibers. The bushings are the same, the magazines, the bolt... only the bore and the chamber in the barrel vary. I am sure that is why they only mark the caliber on the barrel.
    On a different note, I cheaply solved the barrel nut removal tool issue...

Top Bottom