• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    How heavy is your Fighting rifle? How many people here even worry about what your gun weighs? I've seen some builds where the builder goes nuts choosing every component solely on lightweight factors. Some guys are less worried. Saw some guys talking about lightweight guns on other forums , and facebook... It got me thinking.

I'm not sure about mine. I don't even have an accurate scale in my home, but mine is probably at least 8 or 9 pounds. I don't really care anyway. Of course I don't want it to be too heavy, but I don't freak out going after every ounce saved either. I have the gun itself, an 11.3" .330 Blackout SBR, but then I started packing stuff on it. That's where some people freak out stressing about it.

I built this as a home defense gun, so all the add-ons have a reason for being there. The weight, wasn't a priority.

a0rHwoA.jpg

I like red dot sights. The one I have is an old Aimpoint M4s. It's big, and heavy, but I have it, and it still works. It's built like a tank, and I'm good with it, so there's no need to change it out.

I also have a Surefire scout light on it. I like to see what I'm aiming at in the dark. It's of the utmost importance to be able to make a clear decision on if I need to fire or not.

I have a vertical foregrip too, because it helps me to hold the damn thing better.

I put a Law Tactical folder on it so I can fold it up, and stick it in a bag without taking it apart.

Then there's the 30 rounds of 110 gr Barnes Vor-Tx .300 Blackout in a Pmag.

Plus a sling. (not in photo)

I also have a 3X magnifier I just got that helps to pick up details at distance.

It all adds weight sure, but it all serves a purpose too.

Here's the deal. It doesn't bother me that I got a couple extra pounds of crap on there, because everything that's there, is there for a reason. I'm a big boy, I can carry a bullet launcher around without falling down, and crying for help. I figure if people are trying to kill me, and I have to shoot back, (I've been through that before) having to lug around a 8 or 9 pound weapon isn't gonna be what does me in... If it does, that's a problem with me, not the gun.

Thoughts...

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    My thoughts, take a fighting rifle class with someone, you'll find out pretty quickly if you have too much hanging off your rifle.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sling, sight, light. Everything else is personal preference. Mine is much lighter than yours.

Pencil or ELW profile barrel makes a difference.
    Moving from a giant red dot to a mini like a T2 or MRO makes a difference.

If it's being used in your home, ditch the magnifier. If it's a truck gun, get a LPVO.

If the weight doesn't bother you, go about your business and don't spend your money chasing what the internet says you need.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This is the one I use. I call her 'Ol ugly but she don't mind. She was born in 1945.
    I haven't weighed her either, but the government has and said she was over weight!
    She is .30 cal because having to shoot something more than once is just silly.
    She is still open sighted because it makes it easier to see people using their Surefire night lights.
    She also doubles as a club, and I don't mean once or twice either. The swinging helps cool her down before the next clip.
    She is more than able to shoot the bottom out of a coke can at 200y (if you are).

With my age, weight and current state of health I will no longer be going to the fight... BUT, if the fight were to come to me...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are so many ways to look at this. Yes a fighting class will expose a lot if you take the course. Good way to approach this.
    Then there is personal choices. I prefer a red dot but the mini is not my preferred choice. Aimpoint or a strike fire. The aimpoint is easier to turn on in a pinch but both are easier to use at least for me.
    Yes I have lights on most of my ARs by choice. Depending on how and when you use them will make a difference. Stocks and grips etc are again personal choices. I seriously doubt I will be jumping into a long drawn out fire fight. At least I hope not. In this I have built my HD pieces accordingly to what I hope will fill my needs.
    Does anybody hang twin 30s in their HD pieces.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have nicer colts but as for weight, I have a Bushmaster carbon with a cheap red dot I picked up on the way to the range. I have a handle that's very helpful keeping the barrel laser straight and it's got a good drop down bipod. I have a long enough relationship with it to know the red dot is always true and hits wherever I point it all the time so it's staying put. I know it likes a brass only diet and is my best friend if I feed it right. Feed it a little 30 weight motor oil and it will run for hours. I have so much faith in it it's always loaded. Very light and controllable. View attachment 70958

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My thoughts if it wasn't issued to me when I was in it serves no purpose to me.

Yeah, I used to think like that, for my entire career, right up through my first couple deployments. However, I was 42 on my last deployment, and I bought an EoTech and a Surefire for my M4. (some of the younger men in my section got old sarge a deal) I can say that there were times that both made a life-and-death difference.

The non-issue light enabled me to ID a couple of hajis sneaking up through the reeds on our convoy one night that nobody else saw when we were stopped to clear an IED. Both were armed, and were captured.

The non-issue red dot, gave me the ability to do something I never have been able to throughout my entire career, shoot with booth eyes open. (I'm right handed, yet left eye dominant) There two instances I'm certian that without that red dot, I would not have got off the first shot. Thankfully, my first couple deployments were not as active... I was doing the old close one eye to engage crap.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Moving from a giant red dot to a mini like a T2 or MRO makes a difference.

If it's being used in your home, ditch the magnifier. If it's a truck gun, get a LPVO.

Getting new optics like a mini, or a LVPO, isn't in the budget, nor will it be anytime soon. I got two kids in college, and I'm building a CJ7 from the frame up, all while living on VA disability.

The 3X magnifier was a freebie from a PIF thread on another forum. Just trying it out right now as I just got it. Not sure if it will stay. You're right in that it's not needed in the home, but I do have some land as well... I live is a small rural farming town. My yard is huge, and goes down a hill towards a creek. I even own some on the other side. The magnifier can come off without changing the zero of the Aimpoint, but like I said, a few ounces ain't gonna be what kills me. I just have to decide if I even want the thing or not. Haven't had enough time with it yet to decide that yet.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not in the budget??? You have an Aimpoint M4s. Those are $800 new, and you can easily get $500 out of it if it's not beat to death. A brand new Trijicon MRO is $400-450 with a nice QD mount.

You're making the choice to stay with the M4s. They're nice optics for sure, and I don't think I'd get rid of it if I were you. But you're making the conscious choice to stay with a larger and heavier red dot. The Trijicon MRO gives up nothing to the M4s in reliability/durability, and is a great red dot.

And if you decide that you want magnification on your rifle and the magnifier is going to stay on there.....then I would highly recommend you sell the m4s and magnifier. You'll have enough funds for a Steiner P4xi. It'll be lighter and better in every way than a RDO/magnifier combo.

Just food for thought. If I were you, I'd keep the red dot/magnifier on the rifle and vet out the concept before making a choice. Once you decide if you like mag or not, sell the combo and buy a MRO or a LPVO with the funds.

Getting new optics like a mini, or a LVPO, isn't in the budget, nor will it be anytime soon. I got two kids in college, and I'm building a CJ7 from the frame up, all while living on VA disability.

The 3X magnifier was a freebie from a PIF thread on another forum. Just trying it out right now as I just got it. Not sure if it will stay. You're right in that it's not needed in the home, but I do have some land as well... I live is a small rural farming town. My yard is huge, and goes down a hill towards a creek. I even own some on the other side. The magnifier can come off without changing the zero of the Aimpoint, but like I said, a few ounces ain't gonna be what kills me. I just have to decide if I even want the thing or not. Haven't had enough time with it yet to decide that yet.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Not in the budget??? You have an Aimpoint M4s. Those are $800 new, and you can easily get $500 out of it if it's not beat to death. A brand new Trijicon MRO is $400-450 with a nice QD mount.

You're making the choice to stay with the M4s. They're nice optics for sure, and I don't think I'd get rid of it if I were you. But you're making the conscious choice to stay with a larger and heavier red dot. The Trijicon MRO gives up nothing to the M4s in reliability/durability, and is a great red dot.

And if you decide that you want magnification on your rifle and the magnifier is going to stay on there.....then I would highly recommend you sell the m4s and magnifier. You'll have enough funds for a Steiner P4xi. It'll be lighter and better in every way than a RDO/magnifier combo.

Just food for thought. If I were you, I'd keep the red dot/magnifier on the rifle and vet out the concept before making a choice. Once you decide if you like mag or not, sell the combo and buy a MRO or a LPVO with the funds.

Well, I've had the Aimpoint for years... When I say not in the budget, I'm thinking I can't go out and buy a new optic. Wasn't really thinking of selling in order to get a different one, but that is always a choice... The MRO does look promising. I just wonder how it would handle getting banged around for 10 years...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Same housing concept as Trijicon ACOGs. They're bomb proof. Forged housings. Lots of people beating the tar out of them. Buy with confidence.

Well, I've had the Aimpoint for years... When I say not in the budget, I'm thinking I can't go out and buy a new optic. Wasn't really thinking of selling in order to get a different one, but that is always a choice... The MRO does look promising. I just wonder how it would handle getting banged around for 10 years...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This is why I have so many AR15. They're all configured for a specific purpose. They all live in the safe so I'll grab whatever I think suits the task at hand.

Being attacked by wild boar? I'm grabbing the 458 SOCOM.
    Being sniped from >500 yards away? I'm going for the Faxon 18" SPR (or my M1A).
    Need to hoof it out on foot and not carry as much weight? I'm grabbing my light weight Run-n-Gun AR15 pistol with an MRO.

There's others I can pick from &/or arm people with me.

I will say that a class will give you a good idea but a Run-n-Gun event will surely test you & your kit! Until you are on the move with a vest/PC and a full load out of ammo and supplies for the day you'll just not get it. My full kit for my last event was 33.5# and it was a ***** to carry through the hills of KY! I can't imagine what our .mil boys do with 50-60lb kits!

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Same housing concept as Trijicon ACOGs. They're bomb proof. Forged housings. Lots of people beating the tar out of them. Buy with confidence.

Absolutely, my son has has had three different ACOGs issued to him since he enlisted and none of them have more than 20% of the finish left on them and are still in service.
    Tough scope..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    My thoughts if it wasn't issued to me when I was in it serves no purpose to me.

I agree, I was issued everything I needed. I used to laugh at my son with the excessive garbage hanging off his AR. I told him a 100 times to hump that rifle around with him that afternoon..
    Now he's a Marine, he's humped an M16A4 and now an M4 with a ACOG on a few good hikes and it's amazing how his opinion has changed. It really changed at SOI with a 70 lb ruck, an M4, the smart half of a Javelin and a 20K hike.. it gives a new meaning to sliming down....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My patrol rifle is a musket M-16 with a light and Aimpoint. I never really thought about weight as most of the time I never had to hump it or aim it long enough for small weight differences to matter.

Then I held a armed suspect at gunpoint for about 45 minutes (domestic violence suspect armed with a pistol threatening suicide, which he later made good on). My left arm was in full noodle mode when SWAT relieved me. Weight was really on my mind at that point.

I suspect at some point I'll go the M-4 length. I don't know that I'll spend the $$$ on a truly lightweight build.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom