Any Browning T bolt 22LR shooters in here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm considering getting a bolt action 22LR & have had my eye on a new Browning T-bolt varminter. Browning has a $100 rebate going through the end of October. A buddy in Texas has one and constantly brags about his sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards. BUT... I also know people shooting CZ bolt guns that can shoot close to the same for ~$200 cheaper. I just like that quicker feeling straight pull bolt though! It's Olympic Biathlon type action is alluring.

Use will be NRA Smallbore & silhouette matches & maybe CMP Rimfire Sporter. I don't think I can drop 4 digits $ on a Anschutz 54. Other very accurate 22LR suggestions welcome.

[edit - Dang it, my poll won't work. Vote by posting an opinion in thread please!]

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a maple stocked T-Bolt. It’s got a few hundred through it and it would be the last to go. I’ve not pushed mine to find the limits of accuracy, but with just general shooting it’s kept up with a 455, but again I’m not shooting compeition so take that with a grain of salt.

Upside: Delightuflly lightweight, slick action and a good trigger
    Downside: expensive mags, pencil barrel, expensive

I’d call the T-Bolt more a woods gun for plinking or squirrels than for competition.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The varminter has a threaded bull barrel, "semi-match" chamber (whatever that is), gray laminate stock, adjustable trigger.

https://www.browning.com/products/f...-gray-laminated-target-varmint-stainless.html

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have one in left hand, my second as a matter of fact. The first one was a standard barrel and all I used it for was fuzzy tailed tree rats. I couldn't justify that much money in a tree rat killer so I sold it off.
    Since then I found myself comparing everything to it. Now I am fat and old and the kids are grown so I got a new one in the box 3-4 years ago. It has the heavier barrel but still a slight taper, not the threaded bull. If it misses, it was me. I plan on trying it on the rimfire sporter soon. No one will get this one from me.
    Just bought 3 factory mags for $95 shipped to me.
    Go ahead and get one, you deserve it...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have an ffl buddy and his dealer cost is mid 7. The $100 rebate is the only reason I'm looking at these.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The varminter has a threaded bull barrel, "semi-match" chamber (whatever that is), gray laminate stock, adjustable trigger.

https://www.browning.com/products/f...-gray-laminated-target-varmint-stainless.html

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

I bought one of those in .22 mag a few weeks ago. I had been wanting a T-bolt for a long time and when I saw that model plus the rebate, I finally took the plunge. I haven't shot it yet but have handled it enough to be impressed with the worksmanship.

If you like the idea of a straight pull rifle as it seems you do, there is another option to consider that can be had for slightly more than a CZ with a bit of shopping. I also picked up one of these recently in .17 HMR but they make them in .22 LR as well: Steyr Scout RFR

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The (hopefully) soon to be released Tikka T1x is worth looking into as well. I'm picking one up once they're available.

- No straight pull bolt, but it will have a shorter 60 deg. throw
    - Takes T3 stocks, but will likely need an adapter for the bottom metal for T3 chassis
    - T3 trigger, which is nice and can be modded to be extremely nice
    - Reportedly a nice smooth action and stainless bolt
    - Receiver and barrel connection looks nice and beefy
    - Accuracy reports from the few that have been out in other countries seems to be good
    - Looks like it'll be able to be re-barreled at home
    - Price looks to be low to mid $400's

If you want a straight pull bolt, just go for the Browning. Otherwise, I don't think you'll get anything better of a rifle with the Browning over the Tikka or CZ.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone seen any reviews from the hands of consumers on the Steyr?

I looked at them briefly earlier this year, but the lack of hands on reviews is less than ideal. Sniper’s Hide has a thread about it, along with conjecture that it’s actually an ISSC built for Steyr.

I love the concept, but would love to see more consumer’s have one before buying.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Has anyone seen any reviews from the hands of consumers on the Steyr?

I looked at them briefly earlier this year, but the lack of hands on reviews is less than ideal. Sniper’s Hide has a thread about it, along with conjecture that it’s actually an ISSC built for Steyr.

I love the concept, but would love to see more consumer’s have one before buying.

I have not shot mine yet. However, I can tell you it is built by ISSC, it is a ISSC SPA target/biathlon rifle in a plastic scout style stock. The stock is and feels like plastic, similar to The Ruger American or Savage rimfires. I wish they had put a little more into it but that is my only complaint so far. The action is very smooth and fast, in fact it is easier and much smoother to work than the T-bolt. Overall, it is very light weight and quick handling.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have not shot mine yet. However, I can tell you it is built by ISSC, it is a ISSC SPA target/biathlon rifle in a plastic scout style stock. The stock is and feels like plastic, similar to The Ruger American or Savage rimfires. I wish they had put a little more into it but that is my only complaint so far. The action is very smooth and fast, in fact it is easier and much smoother to work than the T-bolt. Overall, it is very light weight and quick handling.

Thanks! You may be the first person I’ve heard from that owns one.

Awesome to hear to how easy the bolt it is, with use my T-Bolt can be run with my thumb so I’d like to try the action on the Steyr. Disaapointing to hear about the stock though, I’m not very good at accepting hard plastic.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks! You may be the first person I’ve heard from that owns one.

Awesome to hear to how easy the bolt it is, with use my T-Bolt can be run with my thumb so I’d like to try the action on the Steyr. Disaapointing to hear about the stock though, I’m not very good at accepting hard plastic.

I doubt there are a lot of people around that own or even know about them. I just happened to stumble on them while on Gunbroker. Yes, the stock is disappointing but I can tolerate it on a rimfire. I would definitely recommend buying one for the toggle action instead of the scout style stock because the stock is basically a cosmetic afterthought. That action is pretty slick though even when new.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The Steyr sounds interesting but the website says it's already 7.3 lbs without a scope. That pretty much kills it being used at CMP sporter matches. It would work for the NRA matches great though.

I've spoken to the Steyr guys in GA several times. Might be worth giving them a call.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom