• Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I picked up a .22 mag rifle for my boys to use a few years ago. Ammo is expensive and tough to find compared to .22lr. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]For target practice a .22lr seems much more practical. Was thinking about trying coyote hunting with it but don’t know if it will do the job. Anyone know how to find cheap ammo in .22 wmr.?[/FONT][/FONT]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I picked up a .22 mag rifle for my boys to use a few years ago. Ammo is expensive and tough to find compared to .22lr. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]For target practice a .22lr seems much more practical. Was thinking about trying coyote hunting with it but don’t know if it will do the job. Anyone know how to find cheap ammo in .22 wmr.?[/FONT][/FONT]

Shop online.

Buy the .22lr anyway. The WMR will do ok on coyotes out to about 125 yds if you got an accurate one.

WMR ammo will never be as cheap as .22 lr.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    With a solid chest shot with 40 grain jacketed or semi-jacketed SP, coyotes do not fair well against .22 WMR.

It's not what I recommend, and you will not see bang-flops without cranial hits, but it will do the job in the right hands.

Stick with CCI Maxi-Mag or +V HP ammunition, or even your ol' Winchester Super-X 40gr if it shoots well. "Well" is most often 1-2 MOA at 100, but at 50, can be under 1 MOA. Zero at 75, and shoot it at 10, 20, 30, etc. to know your hold unders for the short range chip shots in the ear hole.

The lighter TNT, Vmax, etc. bullets are asking for trouble on anything over a squirrel, and I have had grass stems deflect them.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've seen(and taken advantage of) some deals lately on .22 mag. I think the best I've seen lately is $35 for 200 rounds of CCI. You just have to spend some time searching. Like was said previously, you should still consider getting a .22 lf. Nice quality used ones can be found pretty cheap. I've killed coyotes with bow, centerfire rifle and .22 LR and all got the job done, I don't see why a .22 mag wouldn't work within reasonable range.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I hope to never be without a 22 magnum rifle. I think of it as a mini center-fire rifle not a super 22LR rifle.

Ammo for 22 magnum will always be more expensive than 22LR. I try to buy a box of 50 every month. It eases the financial pain a bit and I have around 800 rounds in the ammo can.

For target practice the 22LR gets the job. I don't think I would use it for coyotes.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    Guess I’ll keep the mag and my kids can use it when we go predator hunting.
    I need a scope for it. Simmons .22mag scope is what I’m thinking. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Guess I’ll keep the mag and my kids can use it when we go predator hunting.
    I need a scope for it. Simmons .22mag scope is what I’m thinking. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmons will do the job. I've become fond of the Bushnell Elite series. Natchez Shooters Supply has some very good deals on discontinued leupold models.

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    It all depends on range you are engageing coyotes at. I have been using a 17 hmr and have had no issues out to 130. Buy the 22lr anyways cheap shooter and everybody needs one. SG ammo and palmetto state armory normally have deals on some cheap 22 mag

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy said some place online had .22 mag at 8 bucks a box yesterday.
    I like the old WW HP stuff.
    Shot well in my 648 Smith (scary good)......and was decent in a couple of 9422M.
    I'd like a Contender rifle in .22 mag, w good wood. Under 100 yote/chuck rig.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a couple of Henry's, well, more than a couple, but anyway, one in .22lr and another in .22WMR.
    Both are excellent rifles, but the mag does cost more to shoot.

The .22lr will take care of a coyote under 100 yards, but shot placement is crucial.
    The .22mag will fare somewhat better, but is still not idea.

I would keep the mag and get the .22lr for plinking and practice.
    Keep the mag for varmint hunting.
    Every collection should have at least one .22lr rifle and one .22WMR rifle.
    These should be considered staples.

Top Bottom