• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Picked up a couple of new rifles and really want to try and do all that I can to make them as accurate as possible. I actually did the barrel break in procedure as suggested by the manufacturer.

The .308 hated the 165 grain Federal Gameking loads, the group were at 3 inches. It did better with the 168 gr Barnes TSX bullets but loved the Winchester 150gr Deer Season load. I was able to get around 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Some of that could be due to shooter error and the weather which was cold and sprinkling last Saturday. I hadn't shot a .308 for a couple of years so maybe I was flinching until I got the hang of it.

I was reading about accuracy and see info around copper fouling. Just curious what you guys do for a cleaning procedure. I have always just use a copper bore brush with Shooters Choice solvent, followed by a couple of wet patches with solvent and then dry patches.

I never really ever thought about copper fouling. I just looked down the barrel of the gun and if shiny I was done. In looking at the muzzle, i can see that the grooves do appear discolored. Its hard to say if its just where the bullet has removed some of the bluing or if its copper.

Hard to believe I would have that much build up after 25 rounds if I was brushing and patching between every shot.

I don't want to over think it, but maybe I wasn't thinking about it enough before and need to use a special step for copper?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    If you want to remove the copper, a solvent like Hoppes #9 needs to sit and work for a while. Stronger copper solvents take less time.

If you let Hoppes sit for 10 minutes, run a dry patch through and if there is any blue on the patch, there was copper in the bore. A bronze bore brush can can also cause blue coloration.

It only takes a couple of shots to lay down some copper.

Some shooters rarely clean a gun and some want everything removed after every outing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Montana X-Treme Copper Killer

It is an ammonia base. Be careful when using. Wear eye protection. Use in a well ventilated area. If contact with skin, rinse in cold water immediately.
    Do not allow copper killer to contact plastics, wood, or painted surfaces.
    It is a great cleaning product, but read, AND FOLLOW the instructions.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have done everything that the other posters have done. And its all great advice.

I prefer JB non-imbedding bore compound on a patch wrapped around a jag. A little jar will last years. When I want the bore perfectly clean, this is my choice instead of harsh chemicals.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    By now you can tell there is no one answer to this question. Some guns hate a bore brush while others love it and yet others you just plain can't tell. A lot of it will do with the gun, the planned use, how often it will be used and for what.

I would challenge you to simply run patches until clean, run an oiled patch, let the weapon cool to ambient temp and see where 1 well aimed round lands. If it is spot on, you are good to go.
    If after getting use to her and one day she suddenly is "off", then consider the possibility of copper fouling.
    It is indeed rare that the hardest scrubbed barrel is the best shooting barrel, some feel the near opposite is true.
    The brush should not be the "auto go to" when cleaning. It can be like using a Brillo pad on a well seasoned cast iron skillet...

Top Bottom