• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    So i have been wanting to make a jump up from the 6.5 and the new RPR is out in mag calibers now. Does anyone on here have a preference on the 300 vs 338. From the research I have done accuracy is splitting hairs 300 win is supposed to be a flatter shooting round. 338 has a slightly higher ballistic coefficient muzzle velocity is nearly identical as well as both maintaining supersonic velocities past 1,000 yards.cost per round is way Lower on 300 win obviously.

is anyone either interested in the ruger precision in these larger calibers or any long range precision shooters on her that care to share their thoughts?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Do you reload?

Do you have some place to shoot beyond 1000yd+ to take advantage of either caliber's ELR capability...or simply want a "big gun"?

I would personally trend toward 300WM, as modern bullet design and propellants have significantly diminished the performance delta and there is a not-insignificant difference in per-round cost relative to 338LM.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I shoot with two guys who shoot 338 Lapua and reload for it also. Both shoot the expensive Savage black stock whatever model that is. I shoot a Remington 40X and a PSS in 300 win, I have many more options on what bullets I can shoot and for 95% of the LR shooting we do I can do everything they can do with less punishment and alot less cost all the way around.

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    Do you reload?

Do you have some place to shoot beyond 1000yd+ to take advantage of either caliber's ELR capability...or simply want a "big gun”

Yea I reload I don’t have dies for either but that is a fairly easy fix. I have a place to shoot at about 1200 yards. I have a few places I go out of state with greater distances so I can take advantage of the capabilities of each. I am just Looking for something fun to shoot at that range with decent performance. I think I am ultimately going with the 300win mag

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I would always prefer the unbelted case for precision work.

If you are talking about actual precision loads, the cost per round might not be much more to shoot the 338LM.

230gr SMKs for the 30 cal are .57 cents each. 300gr SMKs for the 338LM are 60 cents each.

The projectile cost difference for premium ammo is 3 cents a round.

And the powder?

97.5gr is a full tank of RL33 for the 300gr SMK.

For the 300WM, you have 71.7 gr of RL26 to burn.

What's the cost of 26 gr of powder at $30/lb? 11 cents.

So you're looking at about 14 cents more per round to shoot the mighty 338. And that's only if you're full house on both loads.

You can drop the 338 down to the same powder charge of your 300WM and end up essentially with 338 WM ballistics.

If you want a cheaper 338LM load, use the 200gr Speer Hot Cor (30 cents each) and only dump 70gr or so of powder. Easily handled recoil and you'll only have 28 cents in powder and 30 cents in bullet.

So while the 338 is NOT a cheap load to shoot, it is FAR more economical to the handloader than the factory ammo prices of $5/ea would suggest. You can handload good quality ammo for $1 a shot, and plinking ammo for about 70 cents a shot. That's a LOT cheaper than the $90-for-20rd price would ever let you imagine.

Only after I actually ran the analysis did I realize that 338 for the handloader is actually borderline doable, especially if you're not shooting a thousand rounds a year. Most of use will burn a few hundred AT MOST in a given year.

And Lapua brass in non-full house 338LM loads lasts almost forever. Like a dozen uses in some cases-- or more. Amortize the costs and you'll see it's not quite so bad.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yea I reload I don’t have dies for either but that is a fairly easy fix. I have a place to shoot at about 1200 yards. I have a few places I go out of state with greater distances so I can take advantage of the capabilities of each. I am just Looking for something fun to shoot at that range with decent performance. I think I am ultimately going with the 300win mag

If you do go with 338 LP and are interested in a almost new set of Redding Comp Bushing dies let me know. I will make you a great deal on them.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    How far are you trying to go? I also was excited to see this new rifle and have been pondering a 338 for a while. If i was going to get a .30 rifle, it would be either a Nosler or a Norma, not a WM. In the RPR, I would definitely pick a 338. I pushed my 6.5 to 1860 yards this summer, so until I find a spot that I can go 2200+ yards, Im not going to bother with a long action. The other thing that troubles me is that an appropriate optic and elevation equipment with be 2-3x what the rifle itself costs. Best of luck, Im definitely curious to see this things in action.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I try to think of it this way: If everyone in the world was shooting .338 and someone came up to you and said they had something that could do virtually everything it can with less punishment and cost... what would your answer be?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I don't own either & probably never will. But I suspect there are many more places to shoot 800-1200 yards than 1200+. For that reason, the 300 mag would appeal to more shooters.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Have you shot other heavy recoiling rifles previously? Most experienced shooters can handle .300 WM level recoil, fewer can handle the big .338.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Have you shot other heavy recoiling rifles previously? Most experienced shooters can handle .300 WM level recoil, fewer can handle the big .338.

Both of the guys I shoot with shoot Savage BA110 Stealth rifles. One is factory and the other has a 32" rebarrel and in-house brake from Stenski in Pendleton.
    I shoot a 40X and a PSS in 300 WM and neither has a break installed.
    Both of there rifles are way more comfortable to shoot than my PSS and the 40x is as comfortable only because it sits in a McMillan position stock..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    3 people apparently know where they can shoot well over 1000 yds. We need to know what they know.

I have a friend outside of Elwood where we can bust 1300
    I can do 1100 now at my place, We are discussing going over to Zanesville next Sunday to do a mile if the owner would return his voice and emails.. I not the one setting it up but I think it's Thunder Valley..

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have a friend outside of Elwood where we can bust 1300
    I can do 1100 now at my place, We are discussing going over to Zanesville next Sunday to do a mile if the owner would return his voice and emails.. I not the one setting it up but I think it's Thunder Valley..
    I've got a PSS in .308 that I would like to stretch out someday, if you need a shooting partner......:)

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Hey, it can't hurt to ask.:laugh:

It really doesn't, we were shooting at Elwood earlier this past summer and a man was working on some new loads and we just happen to ask him if he wanted to go to Walbash the next day with us.
    He offered to introduce us to a friend of his just outside of Elwood. Its worked out well for all of us. Even though I have my own place i will still ask when the conversation brings it up.

Top Bottom