• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Does everyone experience unpleasant amounts of recoil from this round? Put 75 rounds down range today adjusting iron sights and just seeing how it shoots for upcoming deer firearm season. Anything I can do besides manning up? :( I’m not the toughest guy in the world but I’m far from a wimp. Not sure if I’m missing something?:dunno: This is my first big bore rifle. I added the magpul fixed stock and the extra rubber ext since I have longer arms.

If I’m a wimp I can live with that but don’t want to punish myself if there is a solution. Thanks:ingo:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have yet to shoot a soft big bore ar15. I nearly put my eye out with a bcm extended charging handle the first time I shot a 50beowulf up close like I run all other ar15 calibers. A good muzzle device might help, but it seems to me to be a live with it kind of thing.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As stated you can add weight which is not pleasant to carry through the woods or a muzzle brake which is not pleasant on the hearing and both will help. However, I think a better first step might be to simply spread out your shooting a bit more and don't try to shoot so many shots in a day. That is likely to cause you to develop a flinch sooner or later. Forget the "manning up" nonsense, everyone has a recoil tolerance limit and bad things happen to accuracy when start exceeding. Your tolerance limit can be increase over time with practice and exposure but the key is to take it slowly over an extended period of time, not try to cram a bunch of practice into a short period.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It's all very subjective. I don't consider my .458 to be unpleasant to shoot. And I load mine at the MAX.

My buddy's Encore, in .460 S&W, with the hottest possible loads the gun can take, is the most unpleasant thing I've ever shot.:n00b:

I have this stock on my SOCOM, which does take some of the thump out of it...

iipsrv.fcgi

Mako GL-Shock AR-15 Recoil Reducing Stock

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Either get a muzzle break, increase the weight of the rifle, or get a nice butt pad.
    I had a mosin that I couldn't shoot for more than 5-10 shots without wanting to go home. Someone had put a light stock in place of the older heavy one. I shortened the barrel, put a muzzle break on it, and put in a modern stock and can shoot it all day.
    You can't outsmart physics and Newton's law. The harder it goes down range the harder it's going to hit your shoulder.
    Agreed with two70. Manning up is nonsense. Guns should be fun, not a chore. If you don't like to shoot it trade for a traditional hunting rifle. 30-30 is plenty for deer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You might also want to try something like the LimbSaver Protective Shooting Pad or a PAST Recoil Shield while testing loads and sighting in at the range to alleviate some of the recoil. It is has been my experience that I rarely even notice the recoil when actually shooting at an animal so if you can practice more comfortably and avoid developing a flinch you should be good to go.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Mine's an RRA so it's heavy. That helps. It still feels like a shotgun though. Finding a brake is probably your best next thing to try.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Thanks for the insight. Again this is my first big bore ar or large caliber at all... so appreciate the advice. I agree though when shooting an animal adrenaline nullifies recoil. I am trying to find a muzzle brake now if anyone has any recommendations feel free to post them or pm me

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It's all very subjective. I don't consider my .458 to be unpleasant to shoot. And I load mine at the MAX.

My buddy's Encore, in .460 S&W, with the hottest possible loads the gun can take, is the most unpleasant thing I've ever shot.:n00b:

I have this stock on my SOCOM, which does take some of the thump out of it...

iipsrv.fcgi

Mako GL-Shock AR-15 Recoil Reducing Stock

This is a nice stock. Put this on my Ar10. Definitely helps

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Isn't the muzzle energy similar to a 20 gauge shooting a 5/8 oz slug? 75 rounds from 20 gauge slugs would hurt me too. Fewer shots at a time would suit me better, especially if this is a hunt gun.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I completely missed his "75 rounds" part. No kidding, it hurts.:laugh:

And while we're at it; 75 rounds? WTF?:n00b:

Did you win the lottery or something?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Finally got the gun together been countless delays. I guess I was excited and not to mention cutting it close to season opener.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I used to shoot mine and count out loud, $3, $6, $9, $12, $15, $18, $21...:laugh:

Then I started reloading. Still not cheap, but bearable.

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville
    ditch the carbine stock, buffer, and extension and install an A2 rifle length extension and buffer along with the A2 rifle style stock of your choosing, it will help greatly with recoil.

also an adjustable gas block makes great strides to recoil reduction- if you are only shooting one kind of ammo for hunting (likely TTSX 300gr) you can almost close the gas and slowly bring it back up till the gun cycles well-- it will be a progression- bang but empty still in chamber, adjust slowly open a couple of times- bang- eject, but no new round- (alomost there) - add a little more- bang - eject- load- but doesnt make BHO- keep creeping up- once it reliably makes the BHO i add just one more small bump in gas "just in case" and let her run

the idea is to get it to fully cycle but not bang the buffer+bolt mass off the back of the extension-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom